Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

most complete on-line school list in universe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollysuel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really difficult to answer the questions about taxes because it really depends on the country you are living in and how you are reporting your income.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
If you are counting it as foreign earned income, it is highly unlikely that you will need any write-offs as expats pay no tax on income earned in foreign countries up to the equivalent of 80,000 (+/- as the exact figure changes every year). There is a presumption that you will pay local taxes on income earned in a foreign country.

However, if you are hired as an Independent Contractor you will be responsible for paying Medicare and SS tax.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the listings for Alpha Centauri?
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
spiral78 wrote:
If you are counting it as foreign earned income, it is highly unlikely that you will need any write-offs as expats pay no tax on income earned in foreign countries up to the equivalent of 80,000 (+/- as the exact figure changes every year). There is a presumption that you will pay local taxes on income earned in a foreign country.

However, if you are hired as an Independent Contractor you will be responsible for paying Medicare and SS tax.

Yes, I did find out I have to pay those at the end of the year. I also found out I can still get ss even though I live and work abroad which is good. I didn't know I could still get that if I'm going to be living abroad for the long haul.

And I found out its smart to have a tax person abroad who deals with expat taxes. I've never had taxes done abroad before but I'm going to start.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be nice to have a spreadsheet listing of what each online site requires and offers prospective teachers.

I presume the $12-20/hr CDN that TalktoCanada.com offers depends on your approval rating by students more than your qual's. Refreshing to see merit trump credentialism.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popularity is not always the same as merit, though, is it?
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12/hour to talk to Canada?

Surely they don't mean Canadians living in Canada? That's $2/hour more than minimum wage here.

TalktoCanada(diansLivingIn)LatinAmerica perhaps.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Santi84: Note, it's FROM $12 - $20 and strangely, the experience requirement is listed as from 1 to 7 mo's and no credentials other than a degree being req'd. However, I presume they've got some quality control in place as they charge students $24 CDN for their 1st hour.

@Sashadroogie: The most 'famous' private English school in China relies almost exclusively on teachers' popularity among students in deciding who to retain and offer more classes to and who to terminate...and one could argue, why shouldn't they? The self-employed in almost any field rely more upon reputation and word of mouth than on specific credentials.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear LongShiKong,

"The most 'famous' private English school in China relies almost exclusively on teachers' popularity among students in deciding who to retain and offer more classes to and who to terminate...and one could argue, why shouldn't they?"

Of course - it's a business, after all. Give the people what they want - which is why we have so many fast-food franchises, and so much sex and violence on TV, in the movies, and in video games.

To amend H.L. Mencken's quote slightly, no private English school owner in China ever went broke underestimating the taste/intelligence of the Chinese public.

Waiter - MORE bread and circuses. Bring on the clowns. Very Happy

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt that what you are saying about this famous Chinese school is true. But this is not the same as merit. Learners making progress with the language as a direct result of a teacher: that is a measure of merit. How many of these students who make or break a teacher's reputation can do so in English? How many can speak English at all? Any of them capable of getting, say, an IELTS band 7?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the self-employed in many fields have the usual standard training before being let loose on an unsuspecting population. If and when they show they can DO the job, then their reputation is built. From doctors to taxi-drivers.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
@Santi84: Note, it's FROM $12 - $20 and strangely, the experience requirement is listed as from 1 to 7 mo's and no credentials other than a degree being req'd. However, I presume they've got some quality control in place as they charge students $24 CDN for their 1st hour.

You can't blame me for being a little bitter about a job requiring a degree that starts at $2 above minimum wage, right!? Wink I can't leave Canada because I have children here, so it's a bit irking to see the starting wages that some companies attempt to offer!
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:

You can't blame me for being a little bitter about a job requiring a degree that starts at $2 above minimum wage, right!?

I'm almost tempted to apply just to see what they'll offer and what type of training is involved. I can't imagine they'd risk angering students paying $24/hr by matching them up with an inexperienced newby without even an online TESL.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would only be surprising in that they'd pay 24$, to anyone. But matching an untrained newbie to a paying customer is par for the industry generally.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely TalkToCanada relies on expats or higher level students in places where the cost of living is much lower and the timing doesn't inconvenience them.

I've come across a number of websites or people trying to promote the merits of independent online teaching recently. Seems a more lucrative possibility for those with the face-to-face clientele and the business savvy to pull it off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: