Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Englishman in New York

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueMango

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Englishman in New York Reply with quote

Well, not specifically New York...

I'm from England and there's a chance that my wife may need to move back to the States (she's an American citizen) and I wondered what the job market is like over there and more specifically, whether I'd be able to work there?

I know the initial part of my question is rather general (what is the job market like), but I really have no idea having not ever even considered the possibility of teaching ESL in America.

I have an MA Applied Linguistics (TESOL) from a UK university as well as the CELTA and ten years teaching experience in language schools, universities, international schools and public schools.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a work visa.

After that, your best bets would be a language school or a private K-12 school. I wouldn't expect great pay from these. You might also, depending on your experiences, find some adjunct university classes.

There are also tutoring centers, and various things like not-for profit literacy programs for adults.

The New York Craigslist website is a reasonable source for jobs teaching ESL.

NYC has a lot of possibilities, but by far the highest paying is public schools which I think would only hire someone with a Green Card and New York State certification in ESL. This is not needed for teaching at a private school, however, the wages and benefits would be considerably lower and the hours of work generally longer.

Maybe try getting a Green Card? Your options would open up, but as I'm sure you know, it takes a good 2 years to get through the whole application with annoying expenses along the way....
timothypfox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a work visa.

After that, your best bets would be a language school or a private K-12 school. I wouldn't expect great pay from these. You might also, depending on your experiences, find some adjunct university classes.

There are also tutoring centers, and various things like not-for profit literacy programs for adults.

The New York Craigslist website is a reasonable source for jobs teaching ESL.

NYC has a lot of possibilities, but by far the highest paying is public schools which I think would only hire someone with a Green Card and New York State certification in ESL. This is not needed for teaching at a private school, however, the wages and benefits would be considerably lower and the hours of work generally longer.

Maybe try getting a Green Card? Your options would open up, but as I'm sure you know, it takes a good 2 years to get through the whole application with annoying expenses along the way....
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timothypfox wrote:

I think with the recent changes, getting a green card would be the quickest and easiest route.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a "Green Card" is not at all easy. Just how would the OP petition to get one?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Regards,
John
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Getting a "Green Card" is not at all easy. Just how would the OP petition to get one?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=ae853ad15c673210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

Regards,
John

Immediate relative of a US citizen?

"Green Card for an Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen

To promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen’s:

Spouse
Unmarried child under the age of 21
Parent (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)
Immediate relatives have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories.

For other qualified relatives that a U.S. citizen may petition for, see our Green Card for a Family Member of a U.S. Citizen page."

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=9c8aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wife is American but you still gotta go thru the green card process in order to get legit work. She needs to sponsor you for that--it will take 2-3 years (used to be only 1-2 years--I know cause my 1st wife and I went through that about 17 years ago) for you to get the work visa.
mate it will be tough, I grew up there and it is tough, you wont find the politeness or general decency you would find in England, and you wont find the food the same mate. The beer as well will disappoint you. Furthermore the typical new yorker knows *beep*-all about anything outside of the tri-state area, which they think is the entire world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: