Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwanese more foreigner friendly than....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jared

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Jared wrote:
Javelin of Radiance wrote:
The poster who said there are people staying in one place 20-30 years with no real friends doesn't know what he's talking about. Assuming you could find someone with no friends why would they stay so long? Ask them. As for me, I've got real friends and most of them are local people.
Prove it. Who are they?

And there you have it, the end of another pointless thread started by Jared.
can't answer me? Why'd you think I'd mention my friend's names online? What point would that serve?

By the way I did not start this thread.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
They are rude in public in Taiwan also. I don't think there's much of a difference and they love to persecute a foreigner in the media if they can get a chance. Many also use a foreigner if they can, but maintain a facade of friendship. As soon as you move to a new city or new job, they can't be reached anymore or don't reply to e-mails sent.

God forbid if I was ever to live in Taiwan, but if I did I'd certainly have a friend in Solar Strength. The sentiments expressed above put us both on the same page.
teacher4life

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:
They are rude in public in Taiwan also. I don't think there's much of a difference and they love to persecute a foreigner in the media if they can get a chance. Many also use a foreigner if they can, but maintain a facade of friendship. As soon as you move to a new city or new job, they can't be reached anymore or don't reply to e-mails sent.

God forbid if I was ever to live in Taiwan, but if I did I'd certainly have a friend in Solar Strength. The sentiments expressed above put us both on the same page.

Good that you enjoy your own company Laughing
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacher4life wrote:
romanworld wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:

Good that you enjoy your own company Laughing

It's difficult for you to grasp that not everyone likes the same things as you, eh? Kind of like a 7 year old who is upset when they finally realize that mommy and daddy don't like the Power Rangers.
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article hits the nail on the head when it comes to some of the reasons why expats might not last in Taiwan. Have a read. You might not agree with everything but there are nuggets of truth to be found therein:

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2013/01/10-reasons-why-taiwan-is-not-good-for.html

Many of the problems that this blogger describes simply don't exist in China, where the people are less insecure, more assertive and direct, and will go out and grab what they want wherever it is in the world.
Alien1982

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwanese more foreigner friendly than.... Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
torentosan wrote:
I heard Taiwanese were just as rude as main-landers and were very difficult to make friends with.

I have taught and lived in both places and I'd say that without a doubt the Chinese are the nicer people. I say this because mainlanders have a greater security in themselves that comes from having a strong national identity. The Chinese are proud people and have much to be proud about in their long eventful history.(They have much to feel ashamed about too I might add.) The Taiwanese on the contrary are very insecure. This stems from a weak national identity that forces the Taiwanese to look outwards to other countries, particularly American, for evidence of who they actually are. China, on the contrary, knows exactly who it is and what it wants and is actually quite independent. Some people misinterpret the honesty of the Chinese for rudeness. However, I'd much rather know how someone feels rather than having to guess all the time as you have to do with Taiwanese people, who rarely say what they feel and hide behind a forced smile.
Romanworld. No disrespect intended. But if China is that much better, why don't you just go there? I mean, the jobs are still plentiful. And I was reading that China is now starting to really enforce the rule that you must have:

1. Bachelors degree.
2. Documented and verifiable proof of two years teaching experience.
3. Clean criminal record.

Anybody who wants to teach in China now must meet these 3 requirements. And there are literally no exceptions. So you can imagine how much higher the demand is gonna be for us in China. And judging from your posts, ot sounds like you've been teaching a while. So while the jobs are plentyful and hot, I'd jump into the chinese market if I were you. Cause believe me. Finding new teachers that fit those three requirements is extremely hard.
maotouying

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Taiwanese more foreigner friendly than.... Reply with quote

Alien1982 wrote:
romanworld wrote:
torentosan wrote:
I heard Taiwanese were just as rude as main-landers and were very difficult to make friends with.

I have taught and lived in both places and I'd say that without a doubt the Chinese are the nicer people. I say this because mainlanders have a greater security in themselves that comes from having a strong national identity. The Chinese are proud people and have much to be proud about in their long eventful history.(They have much to feel ashamed about too I might add.) The Taiwanese on the contrary are very insecure. This stems from a weak national identity that forces the Taiwanese to look outwards to other countries, particularly American, for evidence of who they actually are. China, on the contrary, knows exactly who it is and what it wants and is actually quite independent. Some people misinterpret the honesty of the Chinese for rudeness. However, I'd much rather know how someone feels rather than having to guess all the time as you have to do with Taiwanese people, who rarely say what they feel and hide behind a forced smile.
Romanworld. No disrespect intended. But if China is that much better, why don't you just go there? I mean, the jobs are still plentiful. And I was reading that China is now starting to really enforce the rule that you must have:

1. Bachelors degree.

Anybody who wants to teach in China now must meet these 3 requirements. And there are literally no exceptions. So you can imagine how much higher the demand is gonna be for us in China. And judging from your posts, ot sounds like you've been teaching a while. So while the jobs are plentyful and hot, I'd jump into the chinese market if I were you. Cause believe me. Finding new teachers that fit those three requirements is extremely hard.

Hi all I was checking on what is happening in the land of my first very first ever out of my country (USA) to work (for the US Government) Taiwan Taipei from 1977 to 1979.

And since I have been on the mainland for almost 10 years as an ESL teacher.

The requirements have always been Bachelor Degree and at least 2 years teaching experience.

BUT..I have seen people with associate degrees..no degrees..high school drop outs and such..with ZERO experience landing good jobs.

#3. Not all cities will require that "criminal back ground check". They say around THIS COUNTRY that is primarily Beijing because someone let some kook's come here to teach and they did some horrid things to some kids. But if it rolls down hill it will. I know I have never had been asked for one..but then again I feel it is retarded to ask me to get one. I am a good teacher. I treat all my 500 plus students a term as if they was my very own children. Smile just my 0.02 cents worth.

Comparing the ROC and the PRC..I loved my days in Taiwan immensely. Unfortunately the one that got married to me turned out to be a NIGHTMARE for eternity. Over here there is no nightmare and no eternity. And another thing I lost interest in 1982 after I got that dreaded divorce.
fladude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwanese more foreigner friendly than.... Reply with quote

[quote="Alien1982"][quote="romanworld"]
torentosan wrote:

1. Bachelors degree.

I just got back from China and did not have a "clean" criminal record. Admittedly my offense was extremely minor and happened 20 years ago (possession of alcohol by person under age) but it didn't keep me from getting a Z visa.

As for the teaching experience, while I had it for certain, we all know they fudge this when they want to.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: re: taiwan Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know anyone who has real Japanese, Taiwanese or Chinese friends. Event those teachers who've been in those places for 20 - 30 years never really establish friendships with the locals.

I think that is something all the oriental despotic cultures have in common, a fear and loathing of the outsider, even when the outsider speaks the language well, he will be treated with even more suspicion. A sad result of the confucian system.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: criminal record.. Reply with quote

. Clean criminal record.

Why can't the psb just do a background check? Gulf countries do it, why must a FT go home, get this document, then return? A right royal ballache if you ask me!!!!1
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiwanese more foreigner friendly than.... Reply with quote

maotouying wrote:
Alien1982 wrote:
romanworld wrote:
torentosan wrote:

1. Bachelors degree.

Hi all I was checking on what is happening in the land of my first very first ever out of my country (USA) to work (for the US Government) Taiwan Taipei from 1977 to 1979.

And since I have been on the mainland for almost 10 years as an ESL teacher.

The requirements have always been Bachelor Degree and at least 2 years teaching experience.

BUT..I have seen people with associate degrees..no degrees..high school drop outs and such..with ZERO experience landing good jobs.

#3. Not all cities will require that "criminal back ground check". They say around THIS COUNTRY that is primarily Beijing because someone let some kook's come here to teach and they did some horrid things to some kids. But if it rolls down hill it will. I know I have never had been asked for one..but then again I feel it is retarded to ask me to get one. I am a good teacher. I treat all my 500 plus students a term as if they was my very own children. Smile just my 0.02 cents worth.

Comparing the ROC and the PRC..I loved my days in Taiwan immensely. Unfortunately the one that got married to me turned out to be a NIGHTMARE for eternity. Over here there is no nightmare and no eternity. And another thing I lost interest in 1982 after I got that dreaded divorce.

You remind me of the very gay guy I know at Perfect English in Jilin Province.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: in hk the other way round? Reply with quote

Quote:
Finding new teachers that fit those three requirements is extremely hard.

There was an article about an esl teacher in HK with ba and masters degree, and he could not find work. But yes for China, there are many without a degree.
Alien1982

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: criminal record.. Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
. Clean criminal record.

Why can't the psb just do a background check? Gulf countries do it, why must a FT go home, get this document, then return? A right royal ballache if you ask me!!!!1
In china they give you the extra run around because they know they can. It's a process now, but I do have reason to believe that they are trying to root out all English teachers.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: shooting themselves in the foot Reply with quote

Quote:
because they know they can.

It DEFIES logic and makes no common SENSE![/i]
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to wake up an old thread.
Jared wrote:
I found it easy to make friends in china by going to English corner. And some people on the streets were approachable. Most cut ties with you right after first meeting you. But the odd one's do keep sincere contact with you. The one's which do are very pleasant people.

I totally agree. And since I've never been to Asia before (yet) I think that simply going there to find out for myself is the best thing I can do. And I will keep the thing about English corners in mind.
Spelunker wrote:
. Clean criminal record.

possible not all countries have access to your record?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: