Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance for teachers in Europe.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mephi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Insurance for teachers in Europe. Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm about to start my first full time teaching job, in Bratislava, and am wondering about insurance. I will be there for just under a year.
As a UK national I am covered for medical/health issues to a degree, on the E111, but obviously not for such things as repatriation.
And there are also the issues of personal possessions cover and personal liability.
Finally, I am also hoping to be able to ski at weekends, which usually adds to insurance costs.

My research indicates that I can take out long term travel insurance, at a fairly high cost, or presumably I could get local contents cover for the basics. I haven't found any companies (yet) who seem to cater for my / our situation. What do other teachers do?

This is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a couple of years and would appreciate any advice.
Paper_Cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance for teachers in Europe. Reply with quote

mephi wrote:
Hi,
I'm about to start my first full time teaching job, in Bratislava, and am wondering about insurance. I will be there for just under a year.
As a UK national I am covered for medical/health issues to a degree, on the E111, but obviously not for such things as repatriation.
And there are also the issues of personal possessions cover and personal liability.
Finally, I am also hoping to be able to ski at weekends, which usually adds to insurance costs.

My research indicates that I can take out long term travel insurance, at a fairly high cost, or presumably I could get local contents cover for the basics. I haven't found any companies (yet) who seem to cater for my / our situation. What do other teachers do?

This is my first post but I have been reading the forums for a couple of years and would appreciate any advice.

Assuming that you will be given a Slovak contract, as opposed to a British one, your social securities and contributions will be paid into the slovak system. Check on what the Slovak government offers to people who are registered tax payers in Slovakia.
Kofola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Slovak law is that everyone has to pay health insurance. If you are an employee then insurance (social and health) is deducted at source. If you are self-employed you are responsible for paying it. Employers tend to automatically use Všeobecná poisťovňa http://www.vszp.sk/. They are by far the largest one because it is the old state insurance company that everyone belonged to. However, there is also Union http://www.union.sk/ and Dôvera http://www.dovera.sk/uvod. You could have a look at what they offer and decide what is best for you. A word of warning, however: the government intends to return to a system where there is only one state company and wants to buy out the private ones. (They are not private in a UK sense, they are just private providers operating within the state healthcare system.) Legally this is an enormous challenge and I doubt it will really happen. The other issue is that if you want to change health insurance provider you can only do it within a short-time frame i.e. within a set couple of months per year.

So, you can either let your employers make the choice for you or you can tell them that you would like to make the choice. But you need to be proactive if you want to choose yourself.

Quote:

You may well find Slovak insurance companies are cheaper. Here are some of the main ones http://www.generali.sk/ http://www.allianzsp.sk/http://www.uniqa.sk/home/

Quote:

Not sure why. Your health care insurance will cover ambulance and healthcare. I think you may have to pay for mountain rescue if you ski off-piste and start an avalance or something - although they may have just talked about this rather than actually introducing it. Anyway I would be surprised if any insurance company would cover you for that. Otherwise theft would be included in your personal possessions cover. Of course you can get special skiing insurance e.g.http://www.generali.sk/ I don't have any special cover.

BTW NI will only cover you for basic emergency treatment. The compulsory Slovak health insurance will cover you for everything (including state opticians, dentists). I suspect you wouldn't be entitled to repatriation because of the Slovak health insurance, but really have no idea. I am quite happy to be treated here.

If you've got any more questions, I'm happy to help.
mephi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks - that's really helpful.

I will indeed be a Slovak employee, and will leave the health insurance to my employer. It is consoling to have your comments, Kofola, both about the quality and extent of the care, and in connection with the skiing.

Next job, the insurance links you gave me for possessions.

Very grateful - wish I'd braved the forum earlier!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the E111 is now the EHIC and does not cover you after you have given up residence in the UK.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephi,

The EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) replaced the E111 in 2006. As a UK national, you can apply for a free EHIC on-line :

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/ab
mephi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: health insurance Reply with quote

Thanks again to all.

I think I am still a uk resident as I have a 10 month contract, and I do indeed have an ehic card (forgot it had changed name!). This will cover me for medical issues until my contract starts.

I am still a bit confused about the employee's health insurance. Kofola says that "NI will only cover you for basic emergency service, but the Slovak health insurance covers everything". By NI do you mean the UK card? Or a Slovak basic national service? I had maybe better research this further when I arrive shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: