Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

most complete on-line school list in universe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked for some time now for other on-line companies out there for teaching English as a second language.

I continue to hear stories of great companies for teaching English on line.
But, many times its difficult to get the actual company name, country location and link.
So, if anyone knows of any companies not listed that should be on here I'll add them if you let me know.

And I'm also curious to know if anyone can share any stories about having management or other positions ESL on-line and what your experiences are or were.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
I've looked for some time now for other on-line companies out there for teaching English as a second language.

I continue to hear stories of great companies for teaching English on line.
But, many times its difficult to get the actual company name, country location and link.

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe those 'stories' are just that? Why else would they not reveal the name of such 'great companies' for teaching online? Can you be specific about what you heard and from whom?

In the OP, inotu-unotme wrote:
For the forum I'm trying to focus more on companies more so than individuals tutoring on line. The main reason being I hope people can use the list for jobs. Individuals tutoring tend to not be interested in hiring other teachers.

Why would a qualified, experienced TEFLer choose to relinquish part of their income to a 3rd person? The one example I've looked into pays $12 - $20 but charges $24/hr and expects you, and probably their clients to follow their protocol. I assume they only hire fully capable staff requiring little training and who won't let their clients down. Those who work for such operations probably all realize they're selling themselves short but need the extra income temporarily. The more qualified and experienced are much better off working independently, relying on previous face-to-face students, word of mouth, and networking skills for business.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, LongShiKong. I applied for numerous online teaching gigs and got phone calls/interviews within hours (I have a TESL-related degree). I rejected all of them because they demanded unreasonable hours and/or unreasonable pay. They can demand that from grads with unrelated degrees/no experience, but I'm not falling for that. The on-site jobs also responded quickly, but had much more reasonable offers.

Oh, there is one here in Montreal right now offering $7/hour, $3+ well below the minimum wage Laughing
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of organizations offering relatively good pay doing proficiency tests (not teaching) but they demand serious quals and also specific training. They're sought-after, and usually found only through word of mouth, I believe.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I applied to one of the schools on the list. I was rejected in a form letter, because either my teaching experience was too limited, or I hadn't given enough info on my teaching approach. I was a bit nonplussed. I have quite a lot of online teaching exp and years of traditional classroom exp, plus lots of materials / curriculum development... Not sure what else I was supposed to have.

I think LongShiKong is completely accurate in his / her assessment (apols, don't know your gender!) Arrange the teaching yourself, by building up a following on social media. Tons of people looking to learn English hang out on Google+ and Twitter, though whether they're a "buying audience" is another question. Rates I've seen (that teachers give) are about 20USD per 45 min lesson. It's neither quick nor easy - you'll probably need a web presence / blog and will need to build up a reputation. But nothing in life is easy or quick, right?
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Tons of people looking to learn English hang out on Google+ and Twitter, though whether they're a "buying audience" is another question.

Agreed, establishing an effective web presence--more for student support than for marketing, is a definite plus and what schools I've worked for in the past have underutilized.

Many of the posts on the Student Forums here are ads for online teaching. In fact, it seems there are more teachers than students posting there although the vast majority are mere 'guests'.
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Out of curiosity, I applied to one of the schools on the list. I was rejected in a form letter, because either my teaching experience was too limited, or I hadn't given enough info on my teaching approach. I was a bit nonplussed. I have quite a lot of online teaching exp and years of traditional classroom exp, plus lots of materials / curriculum development... Not sure what else I was supposed to have.

I wonder if they found you to be too qualified. I find that a lot of online companies ask for a degree and not much more, so the pay reflects that. Maybe they know you aren't going to waste your time with them.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main thing with starting the discussion was that so many people on daves ask about such things.
It is your right to protect information about great jobs and so forth.
Each to his own.
But, quite a few people have looked at all the on-line school posts...

Thats why I keep asking for more information.
If everyone protects the information they have it can make it hard on others.
And getting a decent job teaching ESL is hard enough.

I'm not going to drop names on daves with specifics on what was said.
But, I will continue checking on what on-line teaching companies are out there and will post them.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
My main thing with starting the discussion was that so many people on daves ask about such things.
It is your right to protect information about great jobs and so forth.
Each to his own.
But, quite a few people have looked at all the on-line school posts...

Just because people are asking, doesn't imply such 'great schools' exist and generally those claiming to be making much higher than the going rate either have skills or experience the majority don't... or just sheer luck.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
generally those claiming to be making much higher than the going rate either have skills or experience the majority don't... or just sheer luck

Ditto; that is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier.

There really aren't occasional pots of gold out there, just waiting for someone to reach out and grab a handful. It takes personal connections, reputation, qualifications, and experience - and luck.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all the comments here.
And I do understand everyones view point.

However, I felt it was important to have open conversations about on-line companies out there.
The problem is many people don't know the on-line companies exist in the first place which is a problem.
If you are interested in teaching on line and you don't know anyone else doing it who are you supposed to ask?
Seeking information on line is many times not smooth nor easy.
I was interested in having postings about resources so people at least could start the process.

The other issues that have came up is about the pay for on-line work.
I don't feel on-line work is for everyone.
But, for those who have worked abroad before it brings up an interesting job market.
Teaching abroad seems exciting new and challenging at first.
Then teachers usually find out other things about the job that may not be so exciting like:

1. you may not live close to your school.
2. your rent may be more than you wish it was.
3. Public transportation ain't fun after you've worked a full day.
4. The price of public transportation isn't cheap if you have to pay for it daily to get to work.
5. Riding buses in 90 degree weather to got to work can be difficult.
6. Pay for teaching abroad sometimes isn't what we wish or need it to be - so teaching on line helps or makes sense.
7. Sometimes its easier to stay home and teach on line.

The truth is that sometimes even teaching for $5.00 per hour helps made ends meet.
In some places in the world its difficult to pay for rent, electric, food, transportation and whatever else is needed every month.
The truth is some of us 'have' to teach on line.

Yes, its always best to make large amounts of money if one can.
Its worthy to ask if certain jobs are worth it if you factor in the price of ones past education amoung other things.
But, the reality is some people are trying to get some extra money any way they can.
We all do what we have to do.
Working on line can fulfill the needs of those who may not be able to get that high paying job.

As a side note: I've come across some on-line schools and will be adding them today.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe those 'stories' are just that? Why else would they not reveal the name of such 'great companies' for teaching online? Can you be specific about what you heard and from whom?

Why would a qualified, experienced TEFLer choose to relinquish part of their income to a 3rd person? The one example I've looked into pays $12 - $20 but charges $24/hr and expects you, and probably their clients to follow their protocol. I assume they only hire fully capable staff requiring little training and who won't let their clients down. Those who work for such operations probably all realize they're selling themselves short but need the extra income temporarily. The more qualified and experienced are much better off working independently, relying on previous face-to-face students, word of mouth, and networking skills for business.

Well, that is your opinion, not sure what it is based on. Perhaps people don´t think the amount they earn is something they want to share. I have been working online for Open English for over two years now. While I am not going to on into my personal income in a public forum, I can tell that that, for me, having worked my way into a salaried, full time position, it is a great option. I am making a similar income to what I was earning doing live classes in Mexico City, but without the commute. Working online has allowed me to move to a small town where the cost of living is very, very low. I can say with total confidence that I earn more than just about anyone in my town, with the exception of some business owners perhaps, and easily save half my income every month. Even living in Mexico City it would be a decent salary, and when the cost of living is taken into consideration I am earning on par with what I would be earning in a similar position in the US. I enjoy working online, and have other outlets for social interaction, I never really looked at my students as such anyway, though I suppose for some people working online could be isolating. But there are many pluses, from decent pay if you live in a country where the cost of living is low, not having to commute if you live in a large city, even safety, depending on where you live. With Open English I have always been able to work as many hours as I wanted from the very beginning, with a slow period in December, so perhaps they are unique in that way, that your schedule doesn´t vary much from week to week. In addition, the only thing you have to supply is a computer and internet, things most people have already. So that would be MY why.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:

Well, that is your opinion, not sure what it is based on. Perhaps people don´t think the amount they earn is something they want to share. I have been working online for Open English for over two years now. While I am not going to on into my personal income in a public forum, I can tell that that, for me, having worked my way into a salaried, full time position, it is a great option. I am making a similar income to what I was earning doing live classes in Mexico City, but without the commute. Working online has allowed me to move to a small town where the cost of living is very, very low. I can say with total confidence that I earn more than just about anyone in my town, with the exception of some business owners perhaps, and easily save half my income every month. Even living in Mexico City it would be a decent salary, and when the cost of living is taken into consideration I am earning on par with what I would be earning in a similar position in the US. I enjoy working online, and have other outlets for social interaction, I never really looked at my students as such anyway, though I suppose for some people working online could be isolating. But there are many pluses, from decent pay if you live in a country where the cost of living is low, not having to commute if you live in a large city, even safety, depending on where you live. With Open English I have always been able to work as many hours as I wanted from the very beginning, with a slow period in December, so perhaps they are unique in that way, that your schedule doesn´t vary much from week to week. In addition, the only thing you have to supply is a computer and internet, things most people have already. So that would be MY why.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Well, that is your opinion, not sure what it is based on.

It's based on consensus and I've come across two teachers whose face-to-face students have switched to online with them, or so they claim. The OP's use of the term 'great' now confuses me because virtually all of us would consider a company paying an experienced or qualified native English speaking teacher $5/hr to be a 'great scam' regardless of what their local cost of living is.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongShiKong wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Well, that is your opinion, not sure what it is based on.

It's based on consensus and I've come across two teachers whose face-to-face students have switched to online with them, or so they claim. The OP's use of the term 'great' now confuses me because virtually all of us would consider a company paying an experienced or qualified native English speaking teacher $5/hr to be a 'great scam' regardless of what their local cost of living is.

Many locals work for $5.00 dollars per day where I live in Mexico.
And I have worked for $5.00 per hour before in the past.
So, great scam - maybe.
But, its real life.
If I need to work for $5 dollars per hour and it helps me buy a little bit more food - I'm going to do it.
It does not have that much to do with what I think or know is a scam.
It has more to do with the fact that I need to pay bills and get by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: