Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: dogs Reply with quote

I guess it would be alright to post here being that its off-topic and can be non teaching stuff...

Does anyone out there know a specific site in Mexico or company where I can buy a dog in Mexico.

I'd like to look at some specific breeds.
Not so much shelters.
I'm not completely ruling out shelters but I'm leaning towards buying from a breeder.
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognize that some people prefer breed dogs, but I don’t understand it. So I can’t be of any help to you. I have the World’s Best Dog (see my avatar), and she was “bought” from “God’s Pet Shop”, i.e. the street, not a rescue organization. As for rescue organizations: look on the internet using as keywords your city or region, and “rescate” “canino” or “rescate” “perros”. Have a look at the photos of pets for adoption and see if they don’t touch your heart.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you but I've been to some shelters.
I'm leaning more towards breeders.

Here recently I found an on line shopping site something like e-bay.

www.mercadolibre.com.mx

If anyone has had any luck with buying a dog this way I'd be interested to know.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of mercadolibre for this reason: You know about puppy mills, right? In Mexico the situation is even worse – no regulation whatsoever, no ethic that even says this sort of thing is wrong and deleterious.

Your best bet would be to connect with a breed association that does shows, boasts bloodlines with imported stock, etc. One example for a particular breed is http://www.pastoralemanmexico.com.mx/.

Are you in Mexico City? When I clicked on that page, I noticed that the big dog show Expo Can is going on at the WTC this weekend. If you are close by, I think that would be a worthwhile visit – worth the 100 peso entrance fee. http://www.fcm.mx/eventos/expocan/mex/expocanmex.shtml
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with notamiss, the best kind of dog in the world is cannus mexicanus callejerus.

I don't think there is really such a thing as a reputable breeder, especially not in Mexico. The only valid reason I can think of for wanting a specific breed is allergies. I would be horrified if someone wanted to see my children's pedigrees before considering them for anything so I really can't understand why having a specific breed of dog should matter to anyone. You can get a mix that will be a certain size range, mixes have fewer health problems and tend to have more laid back personalities, and if you take in a street dog it will be eternally grateful and loyal to you.

If your reasons for wanting a certain breed are set in stone, you really out to get one in the US, it's not very difficult to bring a dog in across the boarder.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
I recognize that some people prefer breed dogs, but I don’t understand it. So I can’t be of any help to you. I have the World’s Best Dog (see my avatar), and she was “bought” from “God’s Pet Shop”, i.e. the street, not a rescue organization. As for rescue organizations: look on the internet using as keywords your city or region, and “rescate” “canino” or “rescate” “perros”. Have a look at the photos of pets for adoption and see if they don’t touch your heart.

Notamiss, just wanted to comment that your avatar makes me smile every time I see it. She's beautiful, and reminds me a bit of one of my dogs, which is also the World's Best Dog. Very Happy Mine is a shelter dog, and is some gorgeous mix of German Shepherd plus perhaps coyote or some wildish-looking breed.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I'm with notamiss, the best kind of dog in the world is cannus mexicanus callejerus.

I don't think there is really such a thing as a reputable breeder, especially not in Mexico. The only valid reason I can think of for wanting a specific breed is allergies. I would be horrified if someone wanted to see my children's pedigrees before considering them for anything so I really can't understand why having a specific breed of dog should matter to anyone. You can get a mix that will be a certain size range, mixes have fewer health problems and tend to have more laid back personalities, and if you take in a street dog it will be eternally grateful and loyal to you.

If your reasons for wanting a certain breed are set in stone, you really out to get one in the US, it's not very difficult to bring a dog in across the boarder.

I always think of the expense of our mutts compared to my sister's pure breed black and tan coon hound. Ours were each $25 from the shelter. On one we have spent nothing more except for food and one foxtail removal (foxtail is a local weed that can get stuck in the eyes, ears, nose or throats of animals). On the other, one trip to the vet over stomach troubles, as he's a canine garbage disposal.

In contrast, my sister's dog cost a grand to purchase from the #1 rated breeder, plus the expense of shipping him in an airplane. He has kept the local vet in business with several surgeries and allergies and other issues. He's a nice enough dog, but nothing special in terms of personality or abilities.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do also have what appears to be a breed dog – a little cocker spaniel. She was a street pickup, too. We don’t understand how she survived on the street, because she has one health challenge after another. Can’t eat bones (hurried trip running down the street to vet with dog under arm when she picked up a bone sliver the #1 dog had left), two sprained toes within a few months of each other, a recurring skin fungus on her face every rainy season, occasional “woman problems”…
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deb, we always thought our #1 dog was a German Shepherd crossed with something long-haired, but recently I became aware of the breed Belgian Shepherd Tervuren. When I look at pictures of them, I find a strong resemblance. E.g. http://www.puppyfind.com/breed/belgian_tervuren_shepherd/m_415027.jpg
DebMer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFINITE resemblance! It's a beautiful breed.

I'll try to post a pic of mine at some point, but my computer with picture files is down for now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: