Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Certified Teacher Looking for Work in Bali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Certified Teacher Looking for Work in Bali Reply with quote

Hello, all! I hope this message finds you well. I am a certified teacher in Alabama with a class A teaching certificate for English (6-12). I also have a master's in English, secondary education (and a non-related master's in instructional technology). I've taught for two years in Alabama and one year in Shanghai, China (English both times). Okay, now that that is over.

I really want to find employment in Bali.. I mean, REALLY. I wonder what types of schools would be ideal with my qualifications. I'm not too much of a stickler for pay but I would expect $1,500+USD/month for my quals and experience. Is that unreasonable?

I've applied to a few, hoping mainly for a job with Englishtown teaching online courses (my master's in instructional technology MIGHT help a little there? Probably not).

So, what is your advice? Recommendations? I have no family or friends here. No wife, children, etc. (I'm twenty-eight). I left Shanghai hoping to find a position in my new field, instructional tech., in the US but came up dry. I'm using up all I've saved in Shanghai and now I desperately need employment and I am hoping for Bali, Indonesia. My next interest would be Japan. But never China again. I look forward to any positive feedback! Thanks in advance!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people would like to live in Bali, so it's not the easiest place to get a high-paying job. You would do better working in Jakarta if getting a good pay-packet was your top priority. Is your degree in English, Literature or TEFL? Wall Street would be very interested.

Avoid TBI. They are a shambolic organization that boasted about opening TBI Bali this year and then the project disappeared.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best options would be Wall Street or a National Plus school. There are lists of these online. At these places you would be looking at Rp 16.000.000 upwards, which is a decent and livable wage.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
Many people would like to live in Bali, so it's not the easiest place to get a high-paying job. You would do better working in Jakarta if getting a good pay-packet was your top priority. Is your degree in English, Literature or TEFL? Wall Street would be very interested.

Avoid TBI. They are a shambolic organization that boasted about opening TBI Bali this year and then the project disappeared.

Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess I can lower my expectations for pay because I would really like to teach there. Jakarta is definitely an option. I have a friend who worked there before; he loved it.

My degrees, specifically, are in "secondary education" with a concentration in English language arts (which includes literature, grammar, writing, speech, etc.) My ELA education courses focused largely on best practices in reading comprehension, increasing literacy skills, and writing effectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: