Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hours given & Clothing question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobo6

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Hours given & Clothing question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone- 2 questions which I haven't seen mentioned and can't find thru searching...

1. Is PP/Cambodia similar to Viet Nam in the fact of how many hours a language school typically employs you for? In VN, schools give piece meal work of 2 or 3 hours per week, thus making teachers search out several schools in order to pay the bills, let alone save. Is Cambodia like this or do the language schools typically hire a teacher for 10, 15 or more hours per week?

2. How is one (female) expected to dress in the classroom? I realize that khakis and a nice top are probably required, but does the blouse need to be long sleeved, short sleeved, can it be a nice sleeveless? Are nice looking sandals allowed or does it have to be closed shoes? In VN, every school seemed to be different - makes it hard to know what to buy and pack!

Also, just out of curiousity, when you make up your resume for door to door offer, do you guys hand out a resume w/your color photo or b/w?
Thanks!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you're not really keeping up with the news:

Cambodian opposition rallies for second day after protest death
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/16/us-cambodia-politics-idUSBRE98E07G20130916

One Dead, Several Injured as CNRP Supporters, Police Clash
http://www.cambodiadaily.com/elections/one-dead-several-injured-as-cnrp-supporters-police-clash-42373/

Tense atmosphere in capital
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/tense-atmosphere-capital

Anyway, brief answers to your questions...

1) Demand at language schools is lower than in VN. Cambodia has a smaller and less affluent population. I think Phnom Penh only has about 2 million. But actually, some schools can offer you 10 - 20 hours a week. The rate will only be $10 - 12 though.

You'd probably want to work at an "international" school though, during the day to get enough hours.

2) Probably similar, in that it depends on the school.

The photo on my resume is in color, but when printed it is b/w.

As a woman, you should have no trouble finding work so don't worry too much. Just try to keep up with the news:

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/
hobo6

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what the heck the news thing has anything to do with my questions.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobo6 wrote:
Don't know what the heck the news thing has anything to do with my questions.

Or, "Thanks, Sigmoid! I appreciate the links--it's always helpful to be informed about current conditions when moving to a new country."

Perhaps "the news thing" has nothing at all to do with your questions? (Could be that the poster was simply attempting to be kind by alerting you to a potentially dangerous situation of which you might be unaware?) Note that sigmoid did, in fact, answer your questions.

scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigmoid is trying to tell you it is dangerous in the Land of the Khmer.

You have bigger things to worry about than what blouse to wear.
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hobo's defense, she didn't ask if it was dangerous in Cambodia, she asked about the clothing and the hours. Give people credit for finding stuff like that out for themselves.

I have a question about the air conditioning in the UAE classrooms, could you post me a link about some tourists getting tortured by the local police?
Because that'll answer my question...

Laughing
hobo6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DME. I'm no longer participating on this board because it seems to have become a place just to ignore the topic at hand and insult the poster.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused--wasn't this "the topic at hand?" I think these are answers to the three questions asked in the OP.

sigmoid wrote:

Anyway, brief answers to your questions...

1) Demand at language schools is lower than in VN. Cambodia has a smaller and less affluent population. I think Phnom Penh only has about 2 million. But actually, some schools can offer you 10 - 20 hours a week. The rate will only be $10 - 12 though.

You'd probably want to work at an "international" school though, during the day to get enough hours.

2) Probably similar, in that it depends on the school.

The photo on my resume is in color, but when printed it is b/w.

As a woman, you should have no trouble finding work so don't worry too much.

And looking back at the responses on this thread, I fail to see anyone insulting the OP. Giving unwanted advice, yes, but it's quite a leap to interpret well-intentioned advice as an insult.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Sigmoid is trying to tell you it is dangerous in the Land of the Khmer.

You have bigger things to worry about than what blouse to wear.

Laughing ROFL Laughing

The OP should be worried about not getting shot to death in PP. Or raped or robbed or some other fun past-time Razz
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn_my_eyes wrote:
In hobo's defense, she didn't ask if it was dangerous in Cambodia, she asked about the clothing and the hours. Give people credit for finding stuff like that out for themselves.

I have a question about the air conditioning in the UAE classrooms, could you post me a link about some tourists getting tortured by the local police?
Because that'll answer my question...

Laughing

Give me a few and I'll post something up for you Laughing
ajarnjerry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thailand likes male teachers to wear a tie,
but not many classrooms have a/c, so.....

business casual works for me, plus easier to
be animated and engage with the children.

living in phuket was very conservative with muslim pop.
females showing too much skin garnered less respect.

once this Hun Sen unrest diffuses, I may head to PP.

cheers Cool
ZeeshanMukhtar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think that at the college level a list such as this wouldn't be necessary, but apparently some students are unaware of some of the basics of classroom etiquette. There will certainly be variations as to what is considered "proper" for a class based on the nature of the course. There will even be differences in a particular course depending on what is occurring at any given time (lecture, discussion, group work, test, etc.). Thus, the list below should serve as a guide rather than a strict set of rules.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeeshanMukhtar wrote:
One would think that at the college level a list such as this wouldn't be necessary, but apparently some students are unaware of some of the basics of classroom etiquette. There will certainly be variations as to what is considered "proper" for a class based on the nature of the course. There will even be differences in a particular course depending on what is occurring at any given time (lecture, discussion, group work, test, etc.). Thus, the list below should serve as a guide rather than a strict set of rules.

List? What list?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: