Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

non locals start mx business not supporting local community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: non locals start mx business not supporting local community Reply with quote

My fiance brought something to my attention the other day having to do with Canadian businesses in Mexico...

We were walking down the street when he noticed a new restaurant going in.
He works mostly as a waiter and wanted to talk to them about a possible position.
When he entered the place it looked as though it were ready to open any day.
A man was working at a computer who didn't bother looking up when my fiance spoke to him.
Then his 'wife' came walking over but it seemed to be an act of blocking my fiance rather than to talk to him.
If he were not such a nice guy I would not have thought twice.
But I started to feel a little offended for him as I stood outside watching.

When the woman spoke it was obvious she was Canadian.
She didn't allow my fiance to say much before she blew him off completely then waved at me with fake smile.
My fiance who is Mexican exited quickly and with class as always.
When he got outside he said she would probably not be hiring any locals.
I stared at him with a blankly.
How is that even possible if their business is in Mexico?
He went into an explanation that Canadians come to Mexico in their worst cold seasons and start businesses.
And they will only hire their family or friends from Canada.
To add to that they really don't even expect locals to eat there.
As a side note - its also come to my attention that when people come from Canada and stay in the area they all tend to 'hang' together.

This concept seems off to me because it seems wrong somehow that a non local person can start a business in a country and not support the local community.

I find this extremely interesting and my question is has anyone else noticed this type of thing happening in other parts of Mexico?

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally they can't do this. My husband owns a restaurant, and even though it is near a touristy area (in DF) he has never considered hiring anyone who was non Mexican. First, because as a waiter or waitress they would expect to be paid waaaaayyyyy more than a waiter or waitress makes in Mexico. And second, to hire a foreigner to work in a run of the mill restaurant just isn't going to happen, not legally. It is too bad they blew off your fiancee, but it also sounds like he extrapolated a lot of information from what sounds like a very short conversation. Personally, I would keep an eye on the place and if it looks like the wait staff is all foreign, I would not be above filing a complaint with Migration, which you can do on their website. I know, I've done it in the past. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Legally they can't do this. My husband owns a restaurant, and even though it is near a touristy area (in DF) he has never considered hiring anyone who was non Mexican. First, because as a waiter or waitress they would expect to be paid waaaaayyyyy more than a waiter or waitress makes in Mexico. And second, to hire a foreigner to work in a run of the mill restaurant just isn't going to happen, not legally. It is too bad they blew off your fiancee, but it also sounds like he extrapolated a lot of information from what sounds like a very short conversation. Personally, I would keep an eye on the place and if it looks like the wait staff is all foreign, I would not be above filing a complaint with Migration, which you can do on their website. I know, I've done it in the past. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Good for you, BBB!
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

You know - I think I will...
I even asked my fiance if 'the powers that be' come by and check on things like I don't know fire safety, food prep, etc.

From what I understand 'authorities' do come by and check people selling food on the street and local eateries.
I don't like to think people can come and do whatever they feel like doing.
But, it does seem like this is in fact whats happening.
Ironically, my fiance is under the impression the 'authorities' will not be checking on this eatery because it is in fact Canadian and they will be cut more slack than locals.
I mean, what the hell?
I don't want to think its true but if it is it's not right.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it makes me mad when people come to Mexico and do things they would never consider doing in their own country, because it is not legal. I know a while back I saw an ad for a school that was asking for female teachers between 25 and 35 and the person doing the hiring was clearly not Mexican. I wrote him a "shame on you" letter, and never heard back. I didn't really expect to anyway. It also bothers me that people are so cavalier about working illegally. I don't care how common it is, or how unimportant people think it is. I think to a large extent how often you are inspected and how vigorously has to do with how well liked to you. I know my husband has had his restaurant for 20+ years and does get inspected, but rather infrequently. But with no notice. They show up when they show up.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that the place has got my attention I think it will be interesting to put updates on this forum like when they open and who they actually have working there.

Its very close to my house so it will be easy for me to see whats going on.
The restaurant is not on the main strip but more in the inconspicuous part of the neighborhood.
You have to know its there, if my fiance didn't point it out to me I never would have seen it.
I'm not saying one way or the other whats going through anyones minds.
But, if I didn't wish to get checked on as much for different things that might me where I would choose to have a business.
Its a somewhat well known fact that if your on the strip you get a great deal more attention than if your not.

The restaurant in question is due to open in November.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The restaurant in question is due to open in November.

Twisted Evil I'm imagining a surprise street protest on opening day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or here's a thought, especially if there wasn't a 'hiring' sign in the window ~ they're already fully staffed.

D
Quote:
When the woman spoke it was obvious she was Canadian
Was it tiny maple leaves that shot from her mouth as she spoke, that gave it away?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Was it tiny maple leaves that shot from her mouth as she spoke, that gave it away?

Yeah, I also wondered about that, eh?
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpuAaFBi-I&list=PL8D0B31D4BE997ABE
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious, yeah Laughing
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpuAaFBi-I&list=PL8D0B31D4BE997ABE

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: