Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question for crafty & artsy people...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: question for crafty & artsy people... Reply with quote

I'm planning on doing an art project with some people...

And I wanted to ask if any crafty or artsy individuals out there know where I can get modge podge or something very similar. The reason I want modge podge or something like it is because I won't be able to use any type of glue that bubbles under paper. I we were also going to use the modge podge to seal our project.

Please let me know if theres even any links you can give me to hobby type stores in Mexico.

I'm only interested in resources within Mexico.

The only store I've been able to find is: Lumen
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: question for crafty & artsy people... Reply with quote

inotu-unotme wrote:
I'm planning on doing an art project with some people...

And I wanted to ask if any crafty or artsy individuals out there know where I can get modge podge or something very similar. The reason I want modge podge or something like it is because I won't be able to use any type of glue that bubbles under paper. I we were also going to use the modge podge to seal our project.

Please let me know if theres even any links you can give me to hobby type stores in Mexico.

I'm only interested in resources within Mexico.

The only store I've been able to find is: Lumen

Where in Mexico are you?

I find Lumen expensive, though good for having a lot of interesting materials. In DF, there's a district for such materials in and around 20 de Noviembre...many, many smaller shops with no chain affiliation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am far away from the DF.

I already know I need to have a store capable of sending me possible items through mail.
I'm closer to Cancun.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for Mod Podge for years, and never found it in Mexico. The only other thing I can think of would be to use flour paste, like what is used for paper mache, I have used that for a number of things that you would normally use Mod Podge for. You can have it sent from the US, though, thought Amazon, if you have time.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I searched for Mod Podge for years, and never found it in Mexico. The only other thing I can think of would be to use flour paste, like what is used for paper mache, I have used that for a number of things that you would normally use Mod Podge for. You can have it sent from the US, though, thought Amazon, if you have time.

You got me thinking...

Because people familiar with modge podge know what it can do and how nice it is to use.
I was looking on line and found this recipe to make modge podge matte finish.
Why its matte finish I don't know.
But, heres the recipe:

1. Wash out a glass container with a tight-fitting lid.
Jam jars and pasta sauce bottles work well once they have been run through a dish washer.

2. Buy white school glue, such as Elmer's. Choose fewer ounces than your glass container can hold, because you will be adding liquid to the final mixture.

3. Squeeze the glue into the glass container.

4. Notice the number of ounces in the glue bottle. Divide the number in half to get the number of ounces of water you will need.

5. pour water into container with glue. Shake container and you have modge podge.

The only thing that concerns me is I really thought modge podge does not have water in it. And elmers glue I know has water in it. I must check on this some more. And I will be looking for recipes for modge podge that are high gloss which is what I really need for my project.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this info so I don't know.

Mod Podge is a step above craft glue in terms of the sealing properties. Mod Podge is glue, but it’s also a sealer – and there are varnishes, etc. in the formula that don’t exist in craft glues. The bonding properties of Mod Podge are way stronger than that of (most) craft or school glues. Long story short, the ingredients in Mod Podge are not the same as craft glue, and in 99% of cases are superior. That is why Mod Podge costs more than craft glue.

The only other thing I can think to do is buy spray glue which I hate.
And make the paper stay on the flat surface then seal it with varnish.
The thing I've ran into also is that I have not been able to find varnish at a craft type store.
I am afraid any varnish from a Home Depot will be way to strong of a substance to slap over thin paper.
My main concern is I want to keep the picture in tact and not have it torn or loose color.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone number for Lumen is 1-800-72-LUMEN, so although they have no stores in the Yucatán, you could ask them whether they ship. I was looking at the online catalogue, and some stuff called Mortero Cristal might work for your purposes. Or Esmerilador Policraft or Barniz para manualidades Vitrox. Check the path Manualidades > Técnicas artísticas > barnices.

Another possibility could be Fantasías Miguel, they have a store in Mérida.

A long shot possibility could be a fabric store (Parisina, ModaTelas, Junco, or whatever you have where you are). Some of them have craft supplies.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carpenters where I live regularly varnish photos onto pieces of wood as a form of framing. We have massive changes in the ambiental humidity levels throughout the years and torrential rains really put roofs to the test so people have found this is good way to protect their special photographs. Right now I'm sitting next to my daughter's kindergarten graduation photos that are done this way. You should just pop into a carpentry workshop, explain what you are doing and ask what brand of varnish they use and where they buy it.
notamiss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going to the Mercadolibre Mexico site and searching for barniz para papel. I checked this and lots of likely products came up.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
The phone number for Lumen is 1-800-72-LUMEN, so although they have no stores in the Yucatán, you could ask them whether they ship. I was looking at the online catalogue, and some stuff called Mortero Cristal might work for your purposes. Or Esmerilador Policraft or Barniz para manualidades Vitrox. Check the path Manualidades > Técnicas artísticas > barnices.

Another possibility could be Fantasías Miguel, they have a store in Mérida.

A long shot possibility could be a fabric store (Parisina, ModaTelas, Junco, or whatever you have where you are). Some of them have craft supplies.

I will check out some of the products you have listed.
Thanks for the specific names of products.
I hate to think the wrong product could ruin the project by making the paper bleed or tear.
There are a few larger Parisina stores the next town over.
I will check on if they have more product than the Parisiana in my town.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Carpenters where I live regularly varnish photos onto pieces of wood as a form of framing. We have massive changes in the ambiental humidity levels throughout the years and torrential rains really put roofs to the test so people have found this is good way to protect their special photographs. Right now I'm sitting next to my daughter's kindergarten graduation photos that are done this way. You should just pop into a carpentry workshop, explain what you are doing and ask what brand of varnish they use and where they buy it.

Theres a carpenter right around the corner from me.
And he actually knows me.
I will go in and ask him what he uses.
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check the Mercadolibre website yet? I think that could be the most likely possibility for shipping you the exact product you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: