Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this common for EFL jobs in Indo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Is this common for EFL jobs in Indo? Reply with quote

Talked to a recruiter for EF...

Salary was $650-800 USD monthly.

No housing provided.

No real benefits that I can remember, but I quickly lost interest because of the "low" salary and no help with housing costs.
jef dam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this common for EFL jobs in Indo? Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Talked to a recruiter for EF...

Salary was $650-800 USD monthly.

No housing provided.

No real benefits that I can remember, but I quickly lost interest because of the "low" salary and no help with housing costs.

That depends on where the job is and which EF franchise is going to be hiring you. The money is in the correct ball park, but the fact that they're not providing housing is unusual.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this common for EFL jobs in Indo? Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Salary was $650-800 USD monthly. No housing provided.

They pay as little as they can get away with, and that figure has been stuck at around Rp7-8 million for years. Maybe with the rupiah below Rp 11.000 to the dollar, they will find it harder to get their "gap year" teaching contingent. Once you do the conversion it looks much worse than it did at Rp 9.000 to the dollar, a figure at which it hovered for years. The currency has lost 20% of its value against the greenback in recent months, reducing the salary to $650- $800, which is clearly a rock bottom amount in international terms. When 6 months work will land you a grand total of, what, $3800, why wouldn't you just save up money and go backpacking instead? You will likely have a better time trekking in Thailand or temple-spotting in Burma than teaching split shifts in a polluted suburb of Jakarta.

Some people will tell you EF is "a stepping stone" to something better. But the best schools in Indonesia, like Wall Street and AIM, only employ people who meet the DIKNAS regulations, so it's not a stepping stone to there. You will need a degree in English or an MA in TESOL to work there- an incredibly steep hurdle for most teachers.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
BekasiWhistle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact I couldn't live on that money and be happy.
p1randal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the money, it would all depend on it you drink (alcohol) or not. Things here are quite cheap if you don't drink. The only time I spend any sort of money is when I go to Jakarta to drink/party.
Puppets

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah alcohol is a big expense here. Shops aren't too expensive generally but who wants to drink at home every weekend?

In Bogor you'll usually get a Large Bintang for around 30 - 40k with some places being cheaper.

A large Heineken which is the much better beer in my opinion will cost you at least 38 - 45k in most places.

A Large Anker is generally cheaper and you can probably get one for 25 - 35k.

Small bottles can range between 25 to 40k depending on which place you go to.

Bogor is generally cheaper than Jakarta for most food and drink.

As for Jakarta well it's a lottery. I went to a Cafe in Tebet at the weekend and a bottle of Carlberg cost 23k for a small bottle yet in other places you may be charged double that.

Kemang is a really nice place to go in Jakarta but you will be charged for the privilege.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why anybody would waste their lives on pay that is that little is beyond me. Also being in Indonesia is a crap shoot. You could get hit by a car, contract a serious illness and what are you going to do? There is better places in SE Asia to get experience teaching if that is what you need.
chezal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't strokes for different folks.
p1randal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@PlumpyNut

Where do you work? You don't have to give specifics, as it is none of my business. I just wondered where meets your requirements. Your analogy of being hit by a car also doesn't really fit. Are you a native English speaker? If not, you might consider going to a place like EF to work on your skills.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p1randal wrote:
@PlumpyNut

Where do you work? You don't have to give specifics, as it is none of my business. I just wondered where meets your requirements. Your analogy of being hit by a car also doesn't really fit. Are you a native English speaker? If not, you might consider going to a place like EF to work on your skills.

There was no analogy given. If a teacher has something serious happen to him or gets hit by a car, where is he going to get life saving medical aid working for a place like EF?
jef dam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally people have the wherewithal to take out travel insurance polices before taking off to live in third world countries for 12 months.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I assume use that hefty EF salary to cover the costs? Laughing
jef dam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if you're a troll or genuinely not very bright.

before
bɪˈfɔː/
preposition, conjunction, & adverb

during the period of time preceding (a particular event or time).
"she had to rest before dinner"
synonyms: prior to, previous to, earlier than, preparatory to, in preparation for, preliminary to, in anticipation of, in expectation of; in advance of, ahead of, leading up to, on the eve of;
previously, before now, before then, until now, until then, up to now, up to then;
earlier, formerly, hitherto, in the past, in days gone by

"The new ESL teacher took out a travel insurance policy before accepting a job with EF and going to live in Indonesia for 12 months."
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have any what this nutcake's problem is?

OK, so nutcake, back to the original subject, does an EF teacher pay for the travel insurance with the nice EF salary they're being paid?
jef dam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, still can't decide, but I'm inclined to think you're a bit of both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: