Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aid donation to the Philippines

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relaxtischina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Aid donation to the Philippines Reply with quote

Being the world's second most powerful economy it seems at least strange and arguably miserly that China so far has pledged so little to help its neighbor in light of the recent hurricane tragedy. Is this a case of how not to win friends and influence people?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24938874

Aid at a glance

Asian Development Bank: $500m (£312m) emergency loans and $23m in grants

Australia: A$30m ($28m, £17m) package, including aircraft, medical staff, shelter materials, water containers and hygiene kits

China: 10m yuan ($1.6m; £1m) in relief goods plus $200,000 (£120,000) from government and Red Cross

European Commission: $11m (£6.8m)

Indonesia: Logistical aid including aircraft, food, generators and medicine

Japan: $10m (£6.2m), including tents and blankets. Pledged up to 1,000 soldiers, 25-person medical team already sent

South Korea: $5m (£3.1m) plus a 40-strong medical team

UAE: $10m (£6.2m) in humanitarian aid

UK: $32m (£20m) aid package, sending aircraft carrier, destroyer and large transport aircraft

US: $20m (£12.4m) in humanitarian aid, 300 military personnel, aircraft carrier and other ships, military aircraft plus logistics support
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really get all this criticism over what China donated in comparison to other countries. When the Sichuan earthquake happened in 2008, killing 70,000 people, the Philippines government sent NO money or aid, but did send ONE medical team to help. It seems in comparison China has been quite generous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactions_to_the_2008_Sichuan_earthquake

Disasters are terrible things, and it is good people are willing to help their fellow humans in distress. However, it seems that people should be spending more time criticizing the MASSIVE corruption of the Philippines government which consistently screws over its own people, does not develop the basic infrastructure for decent living, and has no system in place to get people to safety in disasters like this. Everyone knew this storm was coming, and the death toll could have been far less if the Philippines would get their sh$% together instead of assassinating each other to reap the financial benefits of political office.

All these news stories criticizing what China gave reminds me of the beggar on the street who complains when i give 5 RMB because he thinks I can afford to give him 10. Screw him. I'll take my 5 RMB back out of his pot. The people of the Philippines are not the Chinese government's responsibility. Any help given should be received with a hearty "thank you." Period.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The politics of giving.....and another reason to draw comparisons. Shameful the way tragic events and disasters are used to gain ground in the verbal/economic cold war.

Again, it would be interesting to see what was offered by those who choose to criticize any offer of aid. I suppose due to our relative good salaries, FT's should be on the forefront of charity over ...lets say the common worker in China.

Quote:
Matthew 6:1-4

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoBillyNO wrote:
The politics of giving.....and another reason to draw comparisons. Shameful the way tragic events and disasters are used to gain ground in the verbal/economic cold war.

Again, it would be interesting to see what was offered by those who choose to criticize any offer of aid. I suppose due to our relative good salaries, FT's should be on the forefront of charity over ...lets say the common worker in China.

Quote:
Matthew 6:1-4

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." - J. Wellington Wimpy

I don't pay attention to the anti-China hype. While the numbers are probably true, the motive behind the shaming is probably political/commercial. China and The Philippines are at odds over some territorial dispute(s) and business and military interests would like to keep the relationship cool if possible.

MOD EDIT: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=104787
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: