Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siddhartha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

Hello, I am an American interested in possibly teaching in Ukraine. My problem is I don't have a degree, though I do have experience as a freelance writer which requires decent English skills and some experience working in a classroom environment. So here are my questions, hopefully someone can give me some insight on them:

1. If I were to earn a CELTA in Kiev, would I be able to find legal work without a degree?

2. Is there work to be found outside of Kiev and Odessa, possibly in the smaller cities of Western Ukraine such as Lviv or Ivano-Frankivsk?

3. For those who have taught in Ukraine, what has been your overall impressions living and working there?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.
Doledrum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. As far as I know, Celta plus no degree would make it almost impossible to get legal work in Odessa or Kyiv. A school could try to persuade the authorities that any other qualifications you have equate to a degree, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Outside of those cities, things might be a bit more flexible.

2. There's definitely work to be found outside of Kyiv and Odessa. Lviv has an IH (as does Sevastopol, Dnipro and Donetsk) and LSE has a school in Donetsk. Didn't see anything in Ivano-Frankivsk or Chernivtsi when I was in either place - if there are language schools there, they're very small and not part of larger chains.

3. I've taught in 10 countries and Ukraine is up among the best. There are negatives here - cold winters and the infrastructure, for example - but the working conditions where I am are excellent and the students are, on the whole, well behaved and receptive.
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doledrum wrote:
1. As far as I know, Celta plus no degree would make it almost impossible to get legal work in Odessa or Kyiv. A school could try to persuade the authorities that any other qualifications you have equate to a degree, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Outside of those cities, things might be a bit more flexible.

2. There's definitely work to be found outside of Kyiv and Odessa. Lviv has an IH (as does Sevastopol, Dnipro and Donetsk) and LSE has a school in Donetsk. Didn't see anything in Ivano-Frankivsk or Chernivtsi when I was in either place - if there are language schools there, they're very small and not part of larger chains.

3. I've taught in 10 countries and Ukraine is up among the best. There are negatives here - cold winters and the infrastructure, for example - but the working conditions where I am are excellent and the students are, on the whole, well behaved and receptive.

Be careful if you work outside of major cities or at smaller schools in these cities. I have heard a bunch of horror stories are about these schools going under

Also the pay is bad outside of Kyiv and Odessa usually. The cost of living is lower though so idk... you should look at Dnipopetrovsk.. I heard there is a lot of work there for decent pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: