Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LSE or IH ? (Kyiv and/or Odessa)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
overworkedandunderpaid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: LSE or IH ? (Kyiv and/or Odessa) Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to compare and contrast teaching at IH in Kyiv or Odessa with teaching at London School of English in the same cities?
Which is a better work enviroment? Which pays better? Which allows teachers more freedom in their lessons? Which has better hours? etc
chromium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by far, LSE will pay better, full support, have your own apartment, etc.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to choose between those two, I'd also pick LSE.

As for the cities themselves Odessa is the Miami of Ukraine, Kyiv is like its New York. Decide what sort of life style you want and take your shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
pertam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: LSE or IH Reply with quote

Like the old adage: Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear. LSE pay better Very Happy nice one Laughing Having lived in Kiev for a number of years and met with a number of teachers from both LSE and IH, I have to say that IH is better. IH pay for all your professional development including IHC Young Learners, IHC Advanced Methodology and full payment for DELTA (over 4 years) whereas LSE only pay for half. IH will pay you at 8uah to the dollar for ALL of your salary, whereas LSE pay at some strange antiquated rate which means you end up with less than advertised each month. On the plus side LSE do tend to pay a little more for flats but as you will get paid more at IH my advice is to pick IH.
chromium

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

Exactly, so believe nothing that you read from this person who has never worked at LSE, like I do.

What is saying is complete crap. Talk to the teachers who have actually worked there instead of listening to people write things they have no first hand knowledge about.

PM me if you want the real scoop or find my other posts on this forum.

Just because this guy lives in Kiev, he has not worked for either school, does not make him an expert and I'm not sure why he is even giving his sage advice on the matter since he doesn't know what he is talking about.
pertam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that LSE in Kiev don't pay a percentage of their pay to teachers at less than 8uah to the dollar?
You are right though Chromium, I don't work for LSE Kiev. I do however work for IH Kiev and socalise with some of the teachers from LSE every weekend, and so get to hear firsthand their gripes and moans.
Maybe it is different in Donetsk.
chromium

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is what I'm saying. They pay 50% in USD and the other 50% is 8 UAH per $.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromium wrote:
by far, LSE will pay better, full support, have your own apartment, etc.

Don't know where you got your information from, but IH Kyiv pay more than LSE in Kyiv and offer full support, legalization, single accommodation and a bank account.
It's a tad disingenuous to make such sweeping statements as you have made, without knowing the facts.
Doledrum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or to warn against sweeping statements while making similar ones of your own? Won't compare LSE and IH in Kyiv as nobody who posts on here - including me - is in possession of the full facts. What I will say is that they're both good quality schools that offer legalisation, single accommodation and development.

In Odessa, LSE pays better, has a city centre location (as well as a suburban one) and has far and away the best staff development. There really isn't any comparison.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those sweeping statements I made were......??? Of course, I made no such statements, as can be seen in my post above.

Quite amusing that you say nobody who posts here is in possession of the full facts about IH Kyiv and LSE Kyiv, and as a result you won't compare the two. However you go onto to compare IH and LSE in Odessa as if you are in full possession of the facts.

Also, forum members tend to be very wary of people who sign up to a forum to leave one single post defending or promoting a particular school, but have no other posts on the forum, or any other history here.
Doledrum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cardinal Synn wrote:
And those sweeping statements I made were......??? Of course, I made no such statements, as can be seen in my post above.

Quite amusing that you say nobody who posts here is in possession of the full facts about IH Kyiv and LSE Kyiv, and as a result you won't compare the two. However you go onto to compare IH and LSE in Odessa as if you are in full possession of the facts.

Also, forum members tend to be very wary of people who sign up to a forum to leave one single post defending or promoting a particular school, but have no other posts on the forum, or any other history here.

Wasn't aware I was defending a particular school. In fact, I said both were perfectly good. I really can't be bothered to debate the nuances of individual posts with you so I'll leave it at that. As for IH in Odessa, I clearly know a lot more about it than you, though - at the moment, they only have one non-Ukrainian teacher, the school is way out on the outskirts of the city and they don't have anywhere near the same staff development as LSE does. Not saying it's a bad school, just saying LSE Odessa would be a much better environment for someone coming from abroad. That's Odessa, which is one of the cities the original poster was asking about. It seems like you have an axe to grind. I don't, which is why my first post said that - as far as I know - both schools in Kyiv were good to work for.

By the way, I used to post here regularly but got sick of negative posters so stopped using the site. I tend to be wary of people who are negative about everything. Their posts often reveal more about themselves than the places they're attacking.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doledrum wrote:
Cardinal Synn wrote:

Wasn't aware I was defending a particular school. In fact, I said both were perfectly good. I really can't be bothered to debate the nuances of individual posts with you so I'll leave it at that. As for IH in Odessa, I clearly know a lot more about it than you, though - at the moment, they only have one non-Ukrainian teacher, the school is way out on the outskirts of the city and they don't have anywhere near the same staff development as LSE does. Not saying it's a bad school, just saying LSE Odessa would be a much better environment for someone coming from abroad. That's Odessa, which is one of the cities the original poster was asking about. It seems like you have an axe to grind. I don't, which is why my first post said that - as far as I know - both schools in Kyiv were good to work for.

By the way, I used to post here regularly but got sick of negative posters so stopped using the site. I tend to be wary of people who are negative about everything. Their posts often reveal more about themselves than the places they're attacking.

Oh dear....
Get out of the wrong side of bed this morning, did we?
If you left this forum because of negative posters, you might want to avoid being negative yourself. Just saying. I have no axe to grind, which is pretty obvious in this thread.
Anyway, have fun ...and cheer up! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: