Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scam "recruiter" using phone number ending in 1641
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cps82856

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Scam "recruiter" using phone number ending in 1641 Reply with quote

For two related threads on this operator, see here and here.

Here's his newest version:

"TLS-Top Language School

We received your contact via
[N.B.: Website deleted]. See Job Details Below.

We are a "new-born" school in the province of Padua (North-East of Italy) and we are looking for EU & NON EU teachers to join us in January/February. We are looking for teachers who love their job and who would appreciate to become part of a business who is at the beginning of its experience.

We are looking for certified teachers, with experience/ready to teaching to young - even very young - learners, adults and professionals and in preparing for Cambridge exams, who love their job and are available to enter a new business with us.

Approx 13 teachers with varying degrees of time working at Top Language School: one has been with us for a years, others for eight months, others for six months, others for three months/two months and some since November.
All professional teachers give high quality lessons and really care about their students. All willingly share ideas and help each other.
We also offer work in our summer school in the month of July.
Class preparation a must and we carry out observations at least once a month.
Some teachers are oral examiners for Cambridge exams.
All group classes follow course books. However, we do encourage teachers to use their initiative and add in their own ideas. Normal class size (maximum) 10 students.
We realize how difficult it is to decide whether you will settle in a new place - which is why our teachers are happy to talk to any potential members of staff so that all your questions can be answered.

EU & NON EU national are accepted.
Teaching qualifications such as TEFL, CELTA, etc. However, teaching experience is valued.

Compensation:
Salary: 2,300EUR after tax:
The salary is paid for 25 teaching hours/week and increases according to experience and qualifications. Additional teaching hours taught are paid as overtime.
Severance pay: 2,500EUR is paid on successful completion of each full academic year contract.
Paid holidays over Christmas, Easter and any local or national holidays which fall within the contractual period.
100% medical insurance.
Paid accommodation within the school walking distance. (Teachers are responsible for making all maintenance and utilities/security deposit)
Visa assistance.
Paid round trip (reimbursed upon arrival)

If you would like to apply, Kindly forward your detailed CV and a recent photograph.

Kind Regards,
Mr Rena Maso (Head of studies)
VAT.N. IT 04751340284 Via Roma 71/D
Montegrotto Terme, Pd 35036 - Italy
Telefono: +390 694801641
Fax: 00393455958508

(My emphasis).

The mobile phone number matches the one in the threads linked above.

I'm going to play him along for a while to confirm my suspicions a bit more. I told him I don't have a CELTA and he said no problem. I'm waiting for a reply to my question asking if he can get a US citizen a visa or work/residence permit (which I've learned from reading this particular forum is most difficult, if not impossible).

My thanks to the posters who previously alerted us to this guy. I'll let you know if anything develops.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look like a mobile phone number to me. Mobile phone prefixes start with a 3: 333, 348, 339, 380 etc. The 06 prefix is the prefix for Rome landlines.

Other than that, pretty much everything in this ad looks like a scam for a language school:

€2300 post-tax, paid accommodation, reimbursed flights - not least a work visa for non-EU.

Expect a request to "pay" for the visa paperwork - all to be reimbursed, naturally!

Looking forward to reading your updates!
Mojoski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: TLS Reply with quote

Thank you for the alert. I have a skype interview scheduled today. I should have known the job offer was too good to be true. I happened onto the job posting and then saw another Italy job that also advertised for EU or non EU teachers, so it seemed to me that Italy was not as stringent about this as I had assumed. Wrong, it appears.

Always a good idea to vet the people you are dealing with on the internet.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy is very stringent; scammers are not, unfortunately!
Mojoski

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Italy is very stringent; scammers are not, unfortunately!

Yeah, I see now that the second school (Catania) is really the same guy.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely excellent that threads like this and posters like you are around to warn the unwary. Kudos.
Guymadhuranga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this definitely a scam then? Ive been emailing this bloke for about a week and a bit after a strange skype text interview. Two days later he says ive got the job. He sent me a contract that looks dodgy, weird font discrepancies and what not. He wanted me start on the visa process as I have an asian passport.
Along with passport copies and photographs, he asked for 190 euros for the visa application. Major red flag, I know, so I flat out refused and said I would only accept the job if they payed for it, to which he replied saying they decided that they would. Offered to pay for the flight as well! Which is pretty confusing.
Ive also asked to get in touch with one of his current teachers. He's provided me with an email but no reply as of yet.. Ive told him im not signing or sending passport copies until I get to videocall one of his staff.

Has anyone gotten as far as me yet? Or further? I cant help getting myself excited and then crushed over and over again.. :/
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He wanted me start on the visa process as I have an asian passport.

150% sure they cannot legally get you a visa or work permit or anything else with your Asian passport. Don't waste energy getting excited, and definitely do NOT send them any money.
Guymadhuranga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about those typos!

Hmm I went to the italian embassy here in Kuwait this morning, I told them about my passport and what documents I had, they said it was fine. The guy at the consular division said that the people in Italy are meant to begin the visa process and then email the consular people here in Kuwait and send them the contract, a letter of invitation and something called a visura camerale (chamber of commerce document). Once the embassy here is contacted, they in turn call me, ask me to bring my passport in and then stamp a visa on.

I wont keep my hopes up, but I might as well play this thing out and see how far it goes. DEFINITELY not paying anything.
Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do let us know what happens. Where we all think it will break down is at the initial stage in Italy; neither a scammer nor a privately owned language school can get the initial docs.
Guymadhuranga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep you guys posted Smile
If anyone else is dealing with him atm, please let me know!
ralph0632003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Catania English Study Centre Reply with quote

Hello guys, I had been a victim of this scam, this is why im posting it for you not to become the next victim. This was a job offer in Catania offered by a certain David O Hara [email protected],skype :englishstudycentres, offering 2400 eu, free airfare upon arrival, recommending an immigration lawyer Moses Eliyah [email protected],skype:portaledellimmigrazione, and a certain Airline alitalia agent Mark Giorgio. [email protected] skype:air.italys. These criminals will demand for a visa fee 190 euros,legalization fee 205 eu, dhl 120 eu, embassy fee 160 eu,italian bank deposit 5000 eu, apartment security deposit 430 eu, airfare thru mark giorgio 751 euros return(it would look like a good deal for the fake ticket). When you see posts like this, this is a scam. The sad thing is, no one can help because of such bureaucracy going on. You will be referred to one agency to another then another. Its just so tiring shooting emails to almost all of the agencies in europe. No replies from the INTERPOL. So just be careful folks. I learned my lessons well.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom lines in these things:

1. Only an actual state-run university or an actual international school can get visas for non-EU member citizen teachers. In the case of the university; they have to prove no EU candidate for the job has applied and therefore it's usually only the exceptionally-qualified who are really eligible. International schools can hire teachers they want; in this region the norm is teaching certification from your home country and usually two years of experience in teaching. This is usually core subjects; EFL is more rare at real international schools.
2. Study-work programs are only legal through actual state universities. Taking ABC's part-time Italian course isn't going to get one a legal student/work visa.

Any would-be employer asking for a 'visa fee' or a 'legalization fee' or an 'embassy fee' is totally FAKE. EVERY TIME.

There is not and will not be any real regulation of this scam or other similar ones because the perpetrators are impossible to pin down across international borders.

Just don't fall for it.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POSTSCRIPT:

Ralph, your post is more generally useful and should also appear in the General Europe forum. If you have time to post it there in a new thread (Scams to Avoid or something like that) it would be very helpful to others!

Best,
spiral
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from a school in Bari Italy that matches the phone number and wording exactly. There is also a second phone number (+39) 0694805851. It's from Lord Byron College. I googled the school and though they use the actually director's name the phone numbers and email address don't match. Interesting though that they did put the actually phone number of the school but said it was the fax number. Guess it should be a give away that it is a scam when at the end of email the signature doesn't include the website of the school. It also went to my junk mail folder.

Quote:
Serious/enthusiastic EU , NON EU Teachers urgently.

Deadline: Saturday 15. March 2014
Experience: 1 year and extendable
Positions: 3

Details:
One of Italy's largest private language schools, with forty years' experience, full member of the European Association of Quality Language Services (EAQUALS), authorized test centre for Cambridge UCLES, IELTS , TOEFL, TOEIC and ECDL, authorized training centre for UCLES DELTA teaching qualification, seeks qualified, experienced EFL teachers with degree and TEFL certification for the period of a year with possibility of extension and/or renewal. Good working conditions, full support, possibility to become Cambridge Oral examiner. Opportunity for career advancement with in-house training and possibility to take part in FREE IN-HOUSE DELTA COURSE.

Qualifications:
Career minded EFL teachers with degree and TEFL qualification as well as at least one year's teaching experience ( Note that experience and degrees are not compulsory if you are ready to work and learn). Please note that, due to Italian employment regulations, we can now also consider US, Canadian, Australian and South African nationals, etc.

Courses offered:

Lord Byron College offers courses of English, French, German, Spanish and Italian on all levels and for all ages from very young children to advanced programmes, both General Fluency from A1 to C2 Council of Europe levels and technical/academic language programmes. Courses last from 20 to 60 hours and include both individual lessons and group courses.

Compensation:
Dynamic and supportive teaching environment, good working conditions, in-house training and teacher development, free Italian language courses for our teachers, FREE IN-HOUSE DELTA COURSE AND TEACHER TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT. Starting salary from 2,300-2,400 euro net per month. contracts with national insurance and pension coverage. Ten days paid national holidays during contracted period.

Teachers should be willing to share teaching ideas, assist in the preparation of new teaching materials and attend training/development days in school and local or national teacher conferences/training days (all expenses paid).
Severance pay: 2,000 euro
Additional teaching hours taught are paid as overtime.
Paid holidays over Christmas, Easter and any local or national holidays which fall within the contractual period.
100% medical insurance
Accommodation details: paid independent accommodation.
Traveling expenses reimbursed upon arrival.

Please forward your CV, passport, degrees/certificates and recent photograph to proceed:

Lord Byron College

Mr John Credico, Course Director
Via Sparano 102
Bari, Apulia
70121 - Italy.
Tel: (+39) 0694801641, (+39) 0694805851
Fax: 080 523 2686

I wanted to add that I remember the job ad I applied to. It was up on Friday and then taken down by Monday. It was claiming that it was for the Modern English school in Rome. Their email was also a gmail account with the schools name though spelled wrong modem.schools@ gmail.com. The email from the above response were contact@lo​rdbyroncoll​ege.com ([email protected]).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: