Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching & bringing a spouse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mahdi1432

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Teaching & bringing a spouse Reply with quote

I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has brought their spouse along with them to teach in Indonesia.

From what I gathered:
    * KITAS is needed for the teacher but which type?
    * To have my spouse with me, which visa is required?

Any inputs or personal feedback is greatly appreciated.
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Also interested Reply with quote

Also chiming in and eavesdropping hoping someone will offer some good advice.

I'm a soon to be grad(BA sociology, BA international relations) looking to gain several years experience after obtaining CELTA. Trying to find good advice about employability in various Muslim friendly countries.

I'm married, and my wife isn't qualified to teach so I'm trying to find locations around the globe that would make it possible to bring her along.

Sorry to jack the thread, I'll shut up and listen now Smile
drandreasbrown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Indonesia for about 7 years, so if you want some of my advice please PM me, got out a few months ago, considering what is happening there.
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahdi,

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you have a job lined up here then your employer should be helping you with the KITAS and a visa for your spouse.

I'm married to an Indonesia woman so I don't have any experience with getting a visa for a non-Indonesia wife.

I believe that whoever sponsors your work visa will also sponsor your spouse.

If you haven't signed a contract yet, make sure your employer will pay for your wife's visa so you don't have to pay out of pocket. The process is mind-numbing, inefficient and you'll be asked to produce a ridiculous amount of paper work. If it's your first time, the process can be daunting.

If you use an agent, the process gets very expensive very quickly.

If you get a KITAS from your employer, you'll need to be out of Indonesia after the telex is received so when you are in another country, try and do as much of the process as possible, especially for your spouse, so she doesn't have to leave the country again which would mean another plane ticket.

Good luck and keep us posted. This would be interesting to some of us on the board.
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
Mahdi,

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you have a job lined up here then your employer should be helping you with the KITAS and a visa for your spouse.

I'm married to an Indonesia woman so I don't have any experience with getting a visa for a non-Indonesia wife.

I believe that whoever sponsors your work visa will also sponsor your spouse.

If you haven't signed a contract yet, make sure your employer will pay for your wife's visa so you don't have to pay out of pocket. The process is mind-numbing, inefficient and you'll be asked to produce a ridiculous amount of paper work. If it's your first time, the process can be daunting.

If you use an agent, the process gets very expensive very quickly.

If you get a KITAS from your employer, you'll need to be out of Indonesia after the telex is received so when you are in another country, try and do as much of the process as possible, especially for your spouse, so she doesn't have to leave the country again which would mean another plane ticket.

Good luck and keep us posted. This would be interesting to some of us on the board.

Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you have to be out of the country after the telex is received???

I'm interested to know because I'm considering doing a CELTA class in Indonesia and then looking for jobs while there.

Theoretically, I would plan to do a visa run for my KITAS after hopefully finding a job. I'm assuming that would be to Malaysia or Singapore. What I don't know is how that would work. My wife would be with me, and I would prefer to have everything done at once. Obviously my future employer should be the one orchestrating this, but I'd like to have a good idea about how it would work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: