Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Noodles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Salary Question Reply with quote

Hello Singapore Friends!

I'm wondering if I can save over 1000 GBP on a 7K SGD salary. If I move to Singapore, I'll be moving with my wife who is Chinese and imagine that I will be the sole provider at least at the beginning.

To give you an idea about my situation, please read below.

I'm currently living and working in Shanghai and have seen a job advertised in Singapore. As I mentioned, the package is just over 7k SGD per month and flights and family insurance are covered. Housing is not.

This is far more than I earn in SH however, on my current salary here, I am able to save about 10-12K RMB per month (approximately 1-1.2K GBP) after housing, bills and leading a very comfortable life.

As far as I can see, nightlife and restaurants are not so expensive in Singapore compared to SH where I pay between 40-80 RMB on beer depending on whether it's happy hour. Western restaurants here aren't so cheap and a fancy 3 course dinner for 2 with wine can easily set you back 600-1500 RMB (60-150 GBP) depending on where you go. That being said, we mostly eat local food here and imagine I would in Singapore too however, once or twice a week, I will have non local food and go out for drinks.

The big kicker seems to be transport and housing. Right now I live downtown and pay about 5000RMB per month, and pay nothing for transport as this is a great walking city.

I also practice yoga and pay around 1200 RMB per month for a yoga membership. I can't seem to get a price on any of the website of yoga schools in singapore so can't really tell if this would be more or less.

Anyway, that's a short summary of me. Based on what you've read about my standard of living, is 7K enough to maintain it?

Cheers and if any of you have questions about SH, please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards,

Noodles
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7k at the British Council. Not bad at all.

Booze is very expensive here if you go to pubs, bars - same as China, but more expensive here. Go to local hawker centers and it's quite cheap. However, beer here is absolutely rancid be it Tiger, Heineken etc. Best stick to wine and spirits.

Housing is very expensive. If you want a condo, say goodbye to 3-3.5k. Hdb flats cost less (2k +).

Eating local is cheap. Going to expat haunts is pricey and often the fare is mediocre.

I have saved a good chunk of cash teaching for 6 years here and even bought a flat. Keep your life frugal and you can save a nice amount. Live as an expat and pay expat prices, you won't save much - your 7k salary is a lot less than the average western expatriate here.

However, I used to work in Shanghai too and earned around 20k rmb a month and found it far easier to save in China than in Singapore.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
7k at the British Council. Not bad at all.

Booze is very expensive here if you go to pubs, bars - same as China, but more expensive here. Go to local hawker centers and it's quite cheap. However, beer here is absolutely rancid be it Tiger, Heineken etc. Best stick to wine and spirits.

Housing is very expensive. If you want a condo, say goodbye to 3-3.5k. Hdb flats cost less (2k +).

Eating local is cheap. Going to expat haunts is pricey and often the fare is mediocre.

I have saved a good chunk of cash teaching for 6 years here and even bought a flat. Keep your life frugal and you can save a nice amount. Live as an expat and pay expat prices, you won't save much - your 7k salary is a lot less than the average western expatriate here.

However, I used to work in Shanghai too and earned around 20k rmb a month and found it far easier to save in China than in Singapore.

What would the starting salary be in U.S. Dollars at the Singapore American School and would it include a housing stipend?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries and details on housing can be found on this school's website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: