Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of living and fast, reliable internet in Greece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzuri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Cost of living and fast, reliable internet in Greece Reply with quote

Considering relocation possibilities for January 2015.

My impression is that the opportunities for ESL teachers there are virtually nil (especially for a US citizen), but I'm currently teaching online.

I could do my thing in Greece IF:

- the cost of living is sufficiently low; and
- there's fast, reliable, and economical internet access.

I realize my question is awfully broad considering I haven't even looked at what part of Greece I might be interested in, other than to prefer a city less than 1/2 million.

I'm looking at a one-year stay.

Crazy? Has potential?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do your thing in Greece if you could legally even be in the country for a year straight! However, that's not the case; non-EU citizens are limited (outside of special circumstances usually involving large sums of money) to 90 days in the Schengen zone followed by 90 days out before returning. Thus, simply the fact that you stay longer than 90 days subjects you to deportation and penalties whenever you cross a border - even if it's your final departure. It doesn't matter if you were working or not; you're illegal simply for being there.

IDEA: go for Croatia instead. Or the Turkish Med. You can be legally there, low cost of living, similar natural beauty, sea, food, people.
mzuri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croatia or Turkey. Food for thought.

(I'm not a particular fan of Istanbul, and I guess this kept the idea of other parts of Turkey off my radar entirely.)

Thank you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split, Trogir, Dubrovnik, Hvar....

Alanya, Antalya, Fethiye, .....

The choices are actually quite extensive (much more than my little personal list of favourites above) and very nice!
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkey, yes; Croatia, maybe not.

Croatia has been an EU member since July of last year, and while it is not yet a part of the Schengen zone, it will become so in 2015. So mzuri would have to move fairly quickly to avoid getting ensnared in the Schengen rules. As it stands now, Croatia is somehat less difficult than the Schengen zone for an American to enjoy an extended stay, but not by as much as one would think. 90 days is allowed--after that a residence permit is needed, and getting one is by no means easy.

Anti-foreigner sentiment is very strong in Croatia, and led to the passage of some extremely protective labor and residency laws a few years ago. On the one hand, it might be easier for the OP, since it sounds as if she will not need a work permit. But on the other hand, a residency permit can be given on the basis of a work permit, and I don't see any other (realistic) options for an American.

There may be work-arounds--border runs, etc.--that I don't know about, but it's not as easy as just rolling up and staying for a year. I wish it were: the Croatian coast is beautiful.

http://www.mup.hr/1266.aspx
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin, thanks for the update. I was feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't checked current law for Croatia in light of its new EU membership. Things were different when I was there.
mzuri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information, both of you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: