Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are recruiters scum no matter where you go in the world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Munny

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Why are recruiters scum no matter where you go in the world? Reply with quote

As I leave Korea, I figured I'd check out China. And what do I find? Chinese recruiters are just as scummy.

I just finished dealing with 3 different ones and each was it's own unique variety of nightmare.

The first one said the school was the most famous in all of China but he wouldn't give me it's name or the name of the director.

The second said his school was also the most famous in all of China but he catagorically refused to provide any references, even though he said they have 40 EFL teachers right now!

And the third said I had to pay him RMB 1200 for his service!!

It's like a bottom-less cesspool.

There's got to be a whitelist somewhere for the minority of good ones - and a blacklist of both recruiters and schools - can anyone point me to them please?

Thanks.
pistonear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: scummy recruiters Reply with quote

To Will, I think the reason you didn't get anywhere with those recruiters was because your questions would have allowed you to bypass the recruiter who was trying to make his commission. There are jobs all over the web. Do a couple of searches. If you get stuck post an S.O.S on Dave's and I will give you my email. I've found plenty of jobs available without going to a recruiter. I also think that recruiters who knowingly contract with schools who don't fulfill their promises to Teachers should get Blacklisted. It's all about ethics. Good teachers, good product, giving your best, quality administration at the schools, and recruiters who now the product that their selling. The problem is that things can go wrong at any part of the process. Just find good, people and keep your contacts open. When you refer a friend just remember, they become a friend of ours! M
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello William,
pistonear was 200% spot-on, and I am sure nobody that regularly posts here would recommend ANY CHinese go-between!
The hiring of expats is strictly regulated by law, so that those schools who do need one can do so on their own - but they have to meet specific requirements that are being monitored by authorities.
Many schools are totally clueless as to how to find, let alone hire, a native English teacher. You would be amazed what people here BELIEVE - i.e. "you are lucky - you are a foreigner and foreigners all get passports...and passports are the key to job..."
Don't get misled by anyone - your school must be able to sponsor you. The contract must be approved by the Public Security Bureau, and the school also needs approval from the relevant education bureau to hire outsiders.

Guess who needs agents???
Yes, and the agents normally take NO COMMISSION from the jobhunter! It is unethical! Only the schools pay - and they pay through their nose!
Now, do you think any agent can survive in this market on their activities?
Almost all that I know do it only as a sideline!
Skip those
- Yakup Khan
- Alcanta in Guangzhou
- Buckland
- JAS in Shunde
and others!
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Ditto Ditto. This is one thing I have never seen disagreement on... don't use a recruiter. Never never pay a recruiter..and if for some reason you use a recruiter, make sure the recruiter has you contact the school directly.
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Scummy Recruiters?Of Course,They Are Scummy!!! Reply with quote

Some of them are ex-ESL teachers who could not make it as teachers,and suddenly got the bright idea to become recruiters and make a fast buck.However,their transition from teacher to recruiter usually does not mean they miraculously become an ethical,capable person.On the contrary.
All the pros I have ever known in this business agree on this one:AVOID RECRUITERS!!

Iwould also caution people who are new to this field to be careful about sending your personal info to a "recruiter" who you don't really know.I had an exhousemate(fired from his teaching job) who decided to "recruit".
A number of people from the US and the UK sent him photos,CVs,etc.When this guy got drunk,he used to pull out a sheaf of CVs start reading them and roar with laughter.He also "sold" the names,e-mail addresses and other personal info to another firm of recruiters.Be careful who you send your personal info to....the ESL sea is full of sharks....and some of the biggest ones are recruiters..... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: