Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan is Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
My email box is getting stuffed with offers...

I can't find a damn thing in Taiwan and have returned to Thailand where work is plentiful.

I was seriously disappointed in Taiwan.

And, Taipei is not cheap. I blew 2 month's salary waiting for jobs to open or interviews to materialize in Taipei.

What a let down Taiwan was.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: re: thailand Reply with quote

I am also wary of thailand given the current political situation.

China is not a possibility for me because there is no guarantee of getting the Z visa required to get the residence permit in HK. It all depends on which region of China, and whether your country and its passport holders are on the shit list. So that seems a no go.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Spelunker wrote:

I can't find a damn thing in Taiwan and have returned to Thailand where work is plentiful.

And, Taipei is not cheap. I blew 2 month's salary waiting for jobs to open or interviews to materialize in Taipei.

This is precisely what I,m talking about. Sorry you lost 2 month,s salary, but at least you had the good sense to get out before getting too deep in debt. Ignore the irresponsible advice of Doomer and have a job lined up before you get here. Better still, stay where you are, or look elsewhere. My advice is to join Solar in Thailand for the all round teaching experience.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: re: thailand Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
I am also wary of thailand given the current political situation.

China is not a possibility for me because there is no guarantee of getting the Z visa required to get the residence permit in HK. It all depends on which region of China, and whether your country and its passport holders are on the shit list. So that seems a no go.

You wouldn't even know it's going on if you lived here since the protest spots are localized.

It's like when CNN reports on a typhoon in Taiwan, from the way they report it, you'd think that the entire island is being destroyed when the damage is down south and people in Taipei are having picnics in the park.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:
Spelunker wrote:

This is precisely what I,m talking about. Sorry you lost 2 month,s salary, but at least you had the good sense to get out before getting too deep in debt. Ignore the irresponsible advice of Doomer and have a job lined up before you get here. Better still, stay where you are, or look elsewhere. My advice is to join Solar in Thailand for the all round teaching experience.

No, I won't be looking for a job in Taiwan again. The TEFL industry seemed really dead compared to to Thailand. I missed the boat, should have been there 5 - 10 years ago.

Friends in Korea tell me that it is pretty easy to still find a job there. Or maybe I'll just stay in the Bangkok area, plenty of work here still.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

"No, I won't be looking for a job in Taiwan again."

Thank you, Solar. Only those who r fresh outta high school or just off the boat would think about a tefl career in Taiwan. It,s a country that is going the way of the dodo. Oops. Is Taiwan a country?
jlwild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the people who have posted here are stupid.

If you are willing to deal with them, HESS will take you any day, so long as you've got an BA
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlwild wrote:
Most of the people who have posted here are stupid.

If you are willing to deal with them, HESS will take you any day, so long as you've got an BA

Stupid is recommending that people go work for HESS.
Alien1982

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: doesnt sound good Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
This nonsense about having a work permit already BOGGLES the mind! Rolling Eyes
try getting a work permit in china. That's now a long term bureaucratic nightmare.
Alien1982

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
"No, I won't be looking for a job in Taiwan again."

Thank you, Solar. Only those who r fresh outta high school or just off the boat would think about a tefl career in Taiwan. It,s a country that is going the way of the dodo. Oops. Is Taiwan a country?
fresh outta high school? Unqualified. Can't get to taiwan unless you have at least a two year college diploma and a tesol certificate. Or a bachelors degree.

I find it funny that you advise others who are fresh out of high school to teach in Taiwan when you onow they can't.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: from what im hearing.... Reply with quote

Alien1982 wrote:
. . . fresh outta high school? Unqualified. Can't get to taiwan unless you have at least a two year college diploma and a tesol certificate. Or a bachelors degree.

I find it funny that you advise others who are fresh out of high school to teach in Taiwan when you onow they can't.

This ad was recently posted at Tealit.com. Note that they require Unexperienced Teachers.(Shouldn't that be Inexperienced Teachers? Maybe the writer of the ad was Inexperienced?)

CONVENIENT Location! Near the MRT~Unexperienced Teacher Preferred

We are a branch of Kid Castle located in Shilin, Taipei City. Our school has been established for 11 YEARS. It's very easy to get to our school, just a 10 min walk from the MRT Red Line /Jiantan Station 捷運劍潭站.
do_japan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan is probably still the best place to TEFL in Asia. It offers a balance of high pay and low cost of living, plus a high level of development, including relatively clean air, which anyone who lived in SE Asia or China can appreciate.

Don't listen to romanworld. Everything he posts on this forum is a complaint about Taiwan in some way. It really makes you wonder why he is still here? And for the record the food in Thailand is very low quality. You're much better off in Taiwan.
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do_japan wrote:
Taiwan is probably still the best place to TEFL in Asia. It offers a balance of high pay and low cost of living, plus a high level of development, including relatively clean air, which anyone who lived in SE Asia or China can appreciate. And for the record the food in Thailand is very low quality. You're much better off in Taiwan.

Occasionally you get trolls here that want to post misleading info about Taiwan. Most of the time these people post without providing any kind of support for their assertions. For example, the assertion that "Taiwan is probably the best place to TEFL in Asia" is a highly subjective statement that is hardly useful when attempting to get any kind of leverage on the TEFL scene in Taiwan. However, the notion that Taiwan offers high pay for Teflers is ludicrous to say the least, and I've posted many times over the years to links about the low salaries here. Further, the low cost of living is a myth if you dwell in Taipei, although it may be acceptable if you're living out in the boonies. But hell who'd wanna live there? Finally the idea that the air is clean and fresh in Taiwan is simply laughable. A quick google search spewed forth this article:

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201401040022.aspx

Oh, and just for the record Thai food has an international profile, while the fare in Taiwan will never cut the mustard beyond the shores of Formosa, unless of course the Taiwanese Culture Ministry plans to promote stinky tofu to the world?
ncaraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an outsider and, admittedly, a Taiwan layman, it does seem that Taiwan is much harder "to break into" than, let's say, the Mainland.

I am interested in working and living in Taiwan, it actually sounds great, but I don't see it happening unless I apply to an outside source, e.g., a Fulbright position.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: