Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Arequipa in March to teach English

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S-A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Going to Arequipa in March to teach English Reply with quote

Hi all, I finally decided to go for it and will be taking a leave of absence from my corporate office environment to teach in Arequipa this March (4-week TEFL cert course with International TEFL Academy then finding work). I hope to be there for 10-12 months.

People may come after me with pitchforks since this topic has been addressed many times, but can someone outline the specific steps/process for the visa situation? I am not sure why it is so confusing to me…below are my questions:

-Would a one-way ticket cause any issues or is it dependent on the airline? Worst case scenario, would I have to buy a return ticket then cancel it? What is the best thing to do? Right now I can find a round-trip for $600, which is not bad at all (it’s cheaper than buying one way).
-(I understand that as a US citizen, I can stay in Peru for up to six months without a visa. After that, I either pay $1/day fine (not to use it excessively, keep it under a month overstay) or border hop to Chile for 24 hours or more.)
-What do I exactly say at immigration once I'm there? Should I request for 183 days? I have heard of people having to lie (they have a significant other, volunteer, etc.) but also people who were easily given 183 days when they requested it.
-If I get 90 days, where do I go to have it extended?
-Any problems I will face when returning to the US - for example, if I get a one-way ticket?
-Any insight on seeing a doctor for my daily medication? I spoke to my family doctor and he said that I should find a doctor once I arrive.

Thank you.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Going to Arequipa in March to teach English Reply with quote

1. Yes. It would cause problems with the airlines. You should have a return or onward ticket.
2. Yep.
3. You want to visit their wonderful country and see all the historicval sites. Do not say that you're there to work. It depends on the immi officer. Some are nice , some aren't.
4. No extensions allowed.l THey did away with them years ago. You overstay or border hop. Or get another visa, such as a marrige visa.
5. Nope. If you go back to the US you'll be in your home country.
6. Check the list of doctors the embassy has

Also check the FB group expatriates in Peru and www.expatperu.com
sprightly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check directly with the airline. ours did not require us to provide any evidence of exiting peru--we got this in writing and brought it with us. we also brought bank statements to prove we had enough money.

neither the airline nor immigration asked to see an onward ticket when we arrived 2 wks ago.
we are studying spanish, and were given 183 days simply by asking. asking in (very bad) spanish may have helped.

i only spent 3 days in arequipa, but i found it much nicer when i left the very crowded tourist centre. surprise!

nature girl is the expert here, obviously.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. But not really an expeer. Stuff in Peru changes all the time. Sprightly is right. Dwpwnds totally on the airlines!
localabel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-A,
How is everything going for you in Arequipa? Do you like it there? How was the International TEFL Academy course? Was it difficult? I also plan on taking the International TEFL Academy course in January 2015.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localabel wrote:
I also plan on taking the International TEFL Academy course in January 2015.

That's great, localabel! I'm glad to hear about this next step in your journey. Please keep us posted on how the course goes.
localabel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, esl_prof! And I will keep everyone informed.
Have you heard anything in regards to International TEFL Academy?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localabel wrote:
Thank you, esl_prof! And I will keep everyone informed.
Have you heard anything in regards to International TEFL Academy?

Unfortunately, no. Beyond the three brand name courses (SIT, Trinity, and CELTA), I'm not very familiar with many TEFL certificate programs. I'll be curious to hear how it goes for you.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of them. They seem to be decent. They've been around for a while and are BBB accredited.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: