Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought this mess could get weirder but now it just did. Got an e-mail a couple of days ago from some company offering to put you on their workforce and get you a Z visa for the low, low price of Y8,800. Hmmm. Dodgy but this is China, after all. Then an e-mail today directly from the BC saying that they have no idea how this company got ahold of everyone's e-mail address. The company in question has no connection to the BC and they never authorized this company to contact anyone.

Stay tuned, folks, I have a feeling the fun is nowhere near over.

V
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the BC clowns have added more tax to those earning over 20000 yuan/month. As per an email examiners received today.

"Please note that we have been informed that gross income over RMB 20,000 is subject to a business tax of 3.36% in addition to the Individual Income Tax. Where this has been applied it will be indicated on your payslip."

They're also taxing the travel stipend and potentially travel claims (taxis, trains, planes).

In addition they're now paying on the 21st of the following month as opposed to the 15th.

BC China is sliding down a slippery slope of s--t. I'm re-certifying soon, and busting on out of here. BC management seems to have been taken over by the fools who run Kid's Castle.
Volver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It seems to be one damned thing after another with these people. This is the first time anyone has mentioned a tax and it comes on top of our pay being late. Either management is nothing but a bunch of liars who don't have the guts to tell us the truth or they are incompetent. Maybe both. I can't imagine anyone wanting to go over the Y20K mark because now you would get taxed at over 33%, assuming I understand this taxation scheme. Given all the time you waste in travel, working for language schools on the side pays way more and for less work.

Way to go BC. You are certainly showing your true selves.

V
El Macho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: In response to today's mass email: Reply with quote

If you're going to send an email to all the examiners in China, please use the BCC function. It will keep the email addresses of the recipients hidden. I don't like having my email address, even the work-only one I use for IELTS, shared.
Volver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the latest message comes down from on high and here is what is under consideration:

Examiners employed by IELTS work during the week. These poor souls would be at the beck and call of the BC and could be sent anywhere. Whether they are are on salary or paid per test is not clear. All others are part-timers and BC would want our regular employers to give the OK for us to work for the BC on the side!!!!! I know my uni would never agree to this and I doubt many other employers would. Turning a blind eye is one thing but granting outright permission is another.

I figure I am done with IELTS and my only option is side-work to replace the lost income. In a bigger city, this should be do-able. All those hours spent on trains and in taxis could be paid tutoring.

V
muffintop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It truly sounds like a pretty crap gig now.

I may eventually get certified just to say I did it but....I could not imagine wanting to work for them as it stands.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-certified recently.

That means I can examine in 160 countries across the world for the next two year until re-certification (as I plan to leave the Muddled Kingdom).

Thanks BC China, for your time, waste of time, and lack of respect for those working for you.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Thanks BC China, for your time, waste of time, and lack of respect for those working for you.

Oh!

Welp, there's goes that idea of mine of moonlighting for BC China and thinking that I would make off with a wheelbarrow full of cash. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

This sounded like a good idea for a while but after checking out this thread, I'll have to pass. Plenty of other green pastures in the Middle Kingdom elsewhere for the fat_one.

Back to the drawing board.

But being certified to examine in 160 other countries does sounds nice.

Hmm...

Warm regards,
fat_chris
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That said I will suck it up and examine as much as possible between now and June as I might be hitting the high road and cycling through Asia come June - need funds for that.

theoriginalprankster, is this still the plan? If so, it sounds like a good one. Good on ya!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
That said I will suck it up and examine as much as possible between now and June as I might be hitting the high road and cycling through Asia come June - need funds for that.

theoriginalprankster, is this still the plan? If so, it sounds like a good one. Good on ya!

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Getting the bike kitted out for the ride, sorting out visas, coordinating with fellow bikers, and pretty much selling up shop.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the bike kitted out for the ride, sorting out visas, coordinating with fellow bikers, and pretty much selling up shop.

Excellent! The Open Road is yours! May it be a grand trip, sponsored by the dosh from the BC (I presume you won't be having any BC logos on your kit as a sponsor of your travels).

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
vikeologist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how many people want to be full-time examiners. I haven't met many people who actually want to do it. Hopefully there won't be too many. I'm not sure that many examiners enjoy examining 4/5/6/7 days in a row. Nice little earner, but I think a lot of people also enjoy teaching, and enjoy that more.
Volver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met one lady who had examined for 8 days in a row. She was not all that coherent. This is what the BC would do to anyone who works for them.

V
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:
I met one lady who had examined for 8 days in a row. She was not all that coherent. This is what the BC would do to anyone who works for them.

¡Ay, caramba!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volver wrote:

V

A fellow examiner did 13 days in a row - I asked him "why?"

He replied "wife ordered me to buy a house, and we have a kid".

13 days in a row? WTF?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: