Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My chances?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: My chances? Reply with quote

Hello. Here's a bit about me: certifed teacher in Arizona. 7 years classroom experience teaching History and Biology. I'm not looking for a high-speed, high pressure intl school position. I have no problem taking less pay for less stress. But while my degree is in sec ed, it isn't in English. Does this make indonesia unrealistic? I welcome anyone's experience, thoughts or insights. Thank you.
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only looking for ESL or English oriented jobs? Some schools (BINUS for example) hire expats to teach subjects other than English. Like others have said, it depends if the school is willing to grease the palms of immigration worker but it's worth a shot. I know people working here without degree's that just have "TEFL Certificates." That might be an option for you, there are many options depending on how serious you are about this and how long term. I like it here but I wouldn't call Indonesia relaxing haha. What makes you want to teach here, just out of curiosity?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: My chances? Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
Hello. Here's a bit about me: certifed teacher in Arizona. 7 years classroom experience teaching History and Biology. I'm not looking for a high-speed, high pressure intl school position. I have no problem taking less pay for less stress. But while my degree is in sec ed, it isn't in English. Does this make indonesia unrealistic? I welcome anyone's experience, thoughts or insights. Thank you.

If you want a career in Asia, China might be a good option. There are quite a few schools which hire Science teachers and they might be willing to pay really good money- RM 13.000 or so is quite common now. But China won't appeal to everyone.

If you want to live in Indonesia for a year, you could always try EF. You might look at branches in Sumatra or Sulawesi, which are quieter and less expensive than Jakarta.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea why the OP is being pushed in the direction of EF's and other language school establishments-an expat with real teaching certification + degree relevant for the subject they are going to teach-[in this case science or history] is going to be in a very strong position to secure a job at a good international school in Jakarta-or elsewhere in Indonesia......salary wise-I would estimate 25 mil + [depending on the school] for 1st year....'certified' expats-with degrees in science are in high demand ! Binus, Sinomas, High/Scope, a few suggestions off the top of my head....
chezal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
No idea why the OP is being pushed in the direction of EF's and other language school establishments-an expat with real teaching certification + degree relevant for the subject they are going to teach-[in this case science or history] is going to be in a very strong position to secure a job at a good international school in Jakarta-or elsewhere in Indonesia......salary wise-I would estimate 25 mil + [depending on the school] for 1st year....'certified' expats-with degrees in science are in high demand ! Binus, Sinomas, High/Scope, a few suggestions off the top of my head....

Agree with Tazz he should go the international school route. At most of the better local international schools you generally have a good work life balance. Balancing more to life than work.

With your experience you should be expecting to get 30 million + a month.

Re working at Binus the Simprug branch is actually looking for a qualified Biology teacher to teach middle school and high school biology. Look at the website for how to apply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: