Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking job leads

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voyager2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Seeking job leads Reply with quote

Gday all,
A few months to run in this online teaching pos, on the island. I came into it eyes open, living on 7.5m (6.5 with quality bonus) is fine with a bit of discipline. You can eat well and live a pretty comfortable life. Eating locally is best and the local people / staff are lovely. You can actually even save a little. A small place around the corner has an espresso machine for a treat on a day off and washing done for a dollar. Whilst comparison to home currencies are always inevitable, context is important I think, it's a middle class salary domestically.

Anyway with about 10 or so work years remaining, I don't think I'll stay another year in what's generally an unreasonable workload / salary situation. And I'd like to save a bit more over the next ten years. I've a BA ECE and have been observing what's been on offer within the country, I'd appreciate any thoughts if you've the time, looking at an August start.

Rgds v2

Last edited by Voyager2 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the pleasures of working in Bali on an EF salary.....'a small place around the corner has an espresso machine for a treat on a day off' !!! Smile
Voyager2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tazz;) you get to appreciate the simple things that's for sure. Rgds
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Indonesia and you are not on "the island", you are most likely in "the sea"... Wink

B Ed ECE? Try for Nat + or lower tier international schools.
Voyager2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mystery, you're right;) Actually although having started with a B.Ed I defaulted to a BA with an EC major. Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated. Have had a response from a Nat+ in Medan since last post. Will advise how it goes, rgds
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V2, I'm in Medan so if I can be of any help let me know. (I'm not sure whether either of us has enough post-age to use PM just yet, but...)

You will definitely improve your salary situation if you take a Nat Plus job. I wouldn't advise taking anything under 12 juta, absolute minimum. Depending on your qual's and years of experience, you might want to ask for a bit more than that. COL in Medan is (still, though inflation has been doing its thing, bit by bit) quite low, especially compared with Jakarta of course and probably with Bali as well. Decent enough housing can be found here for around one juta a month and sometimes as little as half of that, depending what you are looking for.

There are some trade-offs, of course. I don't know about the working conditions in an EF Online Learning center, but in a Nat Plus, well, it is a "real" school, so you will be around students (children of some age) most of the day, five to six days a week (in my school, we often work 8-12 on Saturdays). (Since your degree is in ECE, I reckon teaching young 'uns won't be a problem. ) You might have a "closed campus" during school hours and it can feel a bit confining at times, depending on your temperament, and you are likely to be working with a lot of younger (early to mid twenties) local teachers as well as some older ones and some foreign teachers of various nationality as well (Filipino, Chinese, etc).

Personally, i do enjoy working in a "proper school" and have found that working with primary age kids seems to be my niche, so for me it is a better fit than a language training center.

I am in the same boat with you, in that I have around ten or eleven "probable" years left in my overseas teaching career, which began quite late (I just turned 49 and have been teaching for about four years now). Give or take a few, it might be possible to work into one's mid-60's in some places - I have a friend back in China who has managed it - but not in Indonesia to the best of my knowledge.

Anywho, best of luck and let us know how it goes.
Voyager2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Many thx Reply with quote

Mystery many thanks for that, I could benefit from chatting more I think, so will try to PM. Regardless, for the benefit of forum readers I did have a recent reply from a Medan Nat+. They first called late one afternoon and sought a Skype interview the very next morning, a bit rushed I thought, all things considered. I couldn't anyway due to work.

Anyway I've since learnt that they hold the teacher's passport and primary qualifications for the duration of the contract, the school confirmed this. I'm unwilling to do this. As mentioned, will try to pm sometime soon. Thanks again for the reply mystery and rgds.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this a few times recently-the school holding passports + qualifications of western expats. Don't understand this cos....1] legally wise-YOU are the holder of the passport-nobody else-it's not actually yours-belongs to the government who issued it, but you are the guardian as it were...2] if you have a kitas and it's a legit contract why would they [the employer] need to take possession of these documents? A runner isn't possible, unless the employer provides a letter of release-you can't run away from the job....
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this a few times recently-the school holding passports + qualifications of western expats. Don't understand this cos....1] legally wise-YOU are the holder of the passport-nobody else-it's not actually yours-belongs to the government who issued it, but you are the guardian as it were...2] if you have a kitas and it's a legit contract why would they [the employer] need to take possession of these documents? A runner isn't possible, unless the employer provides a letter of release-you can't run away from the job....
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to do a runner, by simply leaving on an ERP (during a holiday, for example) and not coming back. This would undoubtedly cause problems to some degree with Immigration if / when one tries to come back in to the country, and maybe bigger problems if one should wish to get KITAS again or get another job in-country. Certainly more so, I think, than if one were to do the same thing in China, for example.

Still, I can understand from an employer's point of view why they would consider this strategy as a sort of "loss prevention method", considering the high cost to the employer for IMTA, as well as flight reimbursements, etc. That still doesn't make it particularly ethical (or legal) though, as you pointed out, and as a "component" of a hiring strategy, it's a bit like playing Russian Roulette with the cylinder half full - at least a fifty- fifty chance - if not more - that your candidate's going to bail on you before even signing the contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: