Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a new teaching challenge.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coops88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Looking for a new teaching challenge. Reply with quote

I'm an English Language teacher currently working in a Russian international school in Mongolia. I've worked in a private language school also for 1 and a half years in Mongolia. I'm finishing up 1 year in a Russian high school which could arguably be considered international. I teach English speaking to 4th - 5th grade and also some 9th grade classes.

I'm a 25 year old male, I'm a white guy from England. My deal is pretty good in Ulaanbaatar: US$2500 net pay, 24 contact hours, free apartment and roughly 4 weeks paid vacation. My qualifications are an HND in Media Performance, BEd in English and TEFL certificate from the England. I've got 2 and a half years teaching experience under my belt and I'm looking to offer my skills in another Asian country. Mongolia pays well (2500-4000 sometimes including apartment) but I'm tired of it, there's not much to do here. I typically save $2000 per month.

Would I be able to get work in Jakarta at a school that could provide close to this salary? Or even i could take a pay cut if there was good options for development (maybe Wall Street)?
jaybet3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "development", what are your long term goals? DELTA certification? Teacher training? Corporate training? Different teaching styles?

You can probably find the same salary, but you wouldn't be able to save $2K, especially if you're going to go out and enjoy the city. If you haven't been to Jakarta yet, maybe you should make a visit first and see if you can deal with the constant traffic, flooding, traffic, etc. You haven't described what your lifestyle is currently like, but I'm sure it's quite different than Jakarta.

I can understand being bored where you are since you are 25 years old, but being able to save $2K a month sounds like a nice gig.
Coops88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean opportunities for the salary to rise if i did need to take a lower salary, my lifestyle in UB is not so fun. I have friends here and there are a few places for nightlife but the clubs are dangerous with locals being hostile towards me if i am with a local girl, even in a group problems can happen. Plus there is a lack of good food choices, transportation e.t.c
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same advice as to the guy who was making the same enquiries a couple of days ago....with B.Ed + teaching cert you should be applying to the International schools here....Jobs.DB.com is a good place to register and post your resume. Forget the Language schools, I don't know of any that come close to $2000 a month.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
When you say "development", what are your long term goals? DELTA certification? Teacher training? Corporate training? Different teaching styles?

You can probably find the same salary, but you wouldn't be able to save $2K, especially if you're going to go out and enjoy the city. If you haven't been to Jakarta yet, maybe you should make a visit first and see if you can deal with the constant traffic, flooding, traffic, etc. You haven't described what your lifestyle is currently like, but I'm sure it's quite different than Jakarta.

I can understand being bored where you are since you are 25 years old, but being able to save $2K a month sounds like a nice gig.

OP, none of the jobs I have ever seen advertised on this site for Mongolia were offering more than half of the LOW end of what you've quoted... that includes language mills and "international schools". If there are jobs there paying as much as you say, consider my ears perked.

That said, I agree with jaybet3 on what was quoted above.

Have you ever visited Indonesia? I haven't been to Mongolia, but I spent the better part of a year in Xinjiang ... I can't imagine more disparate locales or climates. If cold weather appeals to your bones at all, you'll be missing Ulaanbaatar before you know it. (I miss the ice and snow of Northern China, and I've been on sultry, sweltering Sumatra for the last two and half years).

Then again, there is little doubt you would be safer in Jakarta nightlife and dating scene than in Ulaanbaatar, and with an English accent, a pulse, a few coins in your pocket and, well, a face, you should have little to no "trouble" attracting female companionship.

Not trying to dissuade you at all, but just be sure you "know before you go".

If you do decide to go for Indonesia, your best bet is Nat Plus / International schools.

You MIGHT get as much as USD 2500 (or more) but keep in mind that COL is much higher in Jakarta (relative to much of Indonesia generally, including the other large cities), and free or subsidized housing may not be included. If it is, then it might be a decent trade-off for you, but you still won't be saving any USD 2000 a month if you are enjoying the nightlife scene(ry). Sort your priorities before you decide, and if still interested, NOW is the time to look for posts for next year (July onwards), definitely.
EmGee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysterytrain, I also work in Ulaanbaatar and most decent jobs don't advertise. They are filled locally. I can attest that the going rate is about $20 for a 40 minute class and with about 36 classes per week minus a bit of tax, the net pay is roughly $3000. I've had a job where I worked 52 hours (an hour is 40 minutes contact and 20 minutes for prep but not usually needed). That equals over $4000 per month.

Anyway, all work and no play makes one a dull boy, so I too am looking for work in a different Asian country. I recommend Jakarta to the OP because the dating potential is great. I've had 2 vacations there and got a lot of attention from local ladies and I don't mean hookers necessarily.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indisputably true (about the dating / relationship potentials).

When I knew that I was going to come to Indonesia in a few weeks time, I registered in an online singles / dating site specifically for connecting with Indonesian women (or men, I suppose). If I'd have realized how easy it would be to just show up and throw out a line, I might not have bothered.

Long story short, I "met" a few lovely ladies online and had the usual chats, told them I was coming over soon and etc. For some reason started "gravitating" towards one girl in particular and by the time I came to Indonesia in 2011 we had already made tentative plans to meet face to face (different islands, you know). It happened a few weeks later and in less than four months we were married (still are, as it happens).

In choosing so soon, I have definitely missed out on a lot of opportunities to (honorably) play the field, but I think all things considered I got lucky. That is, I found a true, goodhearted and kind woman who loves me for who I am, and not a gold-miner - the former category are certainly around and can be found, many have done so, but the second group definitely outnumber them, tend to be more aggressive Twisted Evil (and duplicitous) and it can be all too easy to get snared in their webs ("Come into my parlour, said the...") Rolling Eyes

But yes, for the average bule, Indonesia can surely be a garden of earthly delights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: