Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan is Dead
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat_chris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do_japan wrote:
Taiwan is probably still the best place to TEFL in Asia. It offers a balance of high pay and low cost of living, plus a high level of development, including relatively clean air, which anyone who lived in SE Asia or China can appreciate.

I'm not sure about this either. I would think that life/work in many other places in Northeast Asia (e.g., SK, Japan, Hong Kong, and Macau) could easily rival or exceed life/work in Taiwan, perhaps?

Warm regards,
fat_chris
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
I'm not sure about this either. I would think that life/work in many other places in Northeast Asia (e.g., SK, Japan, Hong Kong, and Macau) could easily rival or exceed life/work in Taiwan, perhaps?

Definitely exceed.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
fat_chris wrote:

Definitely exceed.

100% agree with romanworld and fat_chris.

Taiwan is far from being the best TEFL destination, in fact, it is an extremely risky country in which to chance one's savings in pursuit of a TEFL job.

You may end up with nothing after a month or two of job searching and have to return home if you were smart enough to come on a return ticket.

Take heed.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
I am interested in working and living in Taiwan, it actually sounds great, but I don't see it happening unless I apply to an outside source, e.g., a Fulbright position.

From my perspective this may be my best chance of getting to Taiwan with a decent position. However, this would only be for a non-renewable eleven-month contract. The idea would be to get the most out of my time in Taiwan in a one-year period and then move on.

I'm not sure that I would be able to build up enough connections in that one-year period to secure and maintain substantial permanent work afterwards; hence, I would go along with Solar Strength's assessment of the situation.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Taiwan is far from being the best TEFL destination, in fact, it is an extremely risky country in which to chance one's savings in pursuit of a TEFL job.

Outside of tefling, it seems that Taiwan can't even attract young people from overseas on their working holiday programs:

For instance, since the Taiwan-United Kingdom Youth Mobility Scheme took effect in 2012, only 30 young Britons have visited under the project.

In contrast, some 1,000 Taiwanese have visited the UK under the scheme each year, according to the ministry.

Asked by several lawmakers to explain the situation, Foreign Minister Lin said at a legislative hearing yesterday that Taiwan needs to do a better job attracting young foreigners to take advantage of the working holiday agreements.

Lin, however, noted that the main problem of very few foreigners visiting Taiwan under working holiday visas is based on whether Taiwan's working environment can offer suitable jobs to serve as an incentive.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2014/04/10/404977/Very-few.htm

Job incentive? Taiwan? Give me a break.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

Quote:
in fact, it is an extremely risky country in which to chance one's savings in pursuit of a TEFL job

That could equally apply to China or HK or Macau or any other asian country.

How is the tefl market right now in Taiwan?
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The place, even Taipei City, is dead,"

I would say, "Taipei city is dead."

I have never worked there, in six years in Taiwan. The offers I've gotten inside the city of Taipei have marginally lower pay than elsewhere, but the Cost of Living is far higher.

That was true in 2008, and in 2010.

-------------------

The food kinda does suck, so you just make your own, or find places that don't suck. Not much Mexican, not much good Pizza.

-------------------

The Culture? I don't understand how anyone can even talk about it as a monolithic thing, as if you can say, "I like the Taiwanese culture" or "I don't like the Taiwanese culture." To me, both statements are almost like saying, "I like fruits." Or "I dislike music." What? You've eaten ALL of them? You've listened to ALL of it? It seems nearly meaningless.

When you're out hiking down a river and pass a couple of Taiwanese fishermen who want to talk with you about QE3 creepily like your drunken uncle in Atlanta (but in Mandarin)..... I don't know, Taiwan just isn't small enough to be encapsulated by the phrase "Taiwanese Culture."
Shakey

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Taiwan is dead in terms of being a viable TEFL destination. There are just not many entry level jobs to be found anymore in Taipei.

I gave up and went to China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: