Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Old is Too Old?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KaiFeng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to the many good suggestions here....

Getting into a chain/franchise like Kojen is a good idea to get established. If I had your background (and I do) I would also develop a strategy to approach high-tech companies, where you could capitalize on your background:

- Copywriting/Editing to help engineers with documentation.
- Teaching engineers to talk about their work and products/services.

I did this in the late 90s, charging NT$1500 an hour and found it paid extremely well. Read some books on negotiation (Charles Karrass (sp?) comes to mind as one of the best) and aim high. I had one gig (at a TV station) which paid so-so, but got my work permit and health insurance. I made my real money from consulting/editing/one-on-one work. Good luck!
Alien1982

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutrino Girl wrote:
Ferfichkin wrote:
Quote:
I could see getting my BA online while teaching overseas with a CELTA and eventually getting a University teaching position.

Online degrees are not recognized by the Taiwan Government. You won't be eligible for ARC sponsorship with an online degree.

But he will have already met the necessary requirements for an ARC with an AA and TEFL cert., so that won't matter.

To the OP...From what I understand, the fact that a degree is earned by distance is not indicated on transcripts or certificates (at least that's what I have learned from people I know who have done theirs that way). However, if a particular government does not accept distance degrees, a simple check of your passport would indicate that you were overseas when you earned the degree. So, that's something to think about.
I have a friend who lives in taiwan who told me he knew people who had their online degrees accepted.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: online degreez? Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a friend who lives in taiwan who told me he knew people who had their online degrees accepted.

without being notarized? Care to confirm this, just curious on? Crying or Very sad Razz Mad Shocked Cool Laughing
Alien1982

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: online degreez? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:
Quote:

without being notarized? Care to confirm this, just curious on? Crying or Very sad Razz Mad Shocked Cool Laughing
Well others I talked to either did so themselves or they knew of someone who did have them accepted. So I could only take their word on it. With the notarization, are you talking about getting the degree apostilled? Or just notarization from a lawyers office?
Spelunker

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: dewey Reply with quote

I was told by DEWEY recruitment agency of TAIPEI CITY, that I would need my degree apostilled or notarized. I think it was the former. Either way, teco or the british consulate in HONG KONG both refuse to HELP me OUT.

Can I just turn up in Taiwan with a degree in English Literature and TEFL Cert and 7 years experience in China, and middling mandarin ability and get a job? Seems like trying to get a straight answer to this, is trying to find my way out of a deep cave under the sea with only a cig lighter?!?! Rolling Eyes Confused Sad Surprised
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I just turn up in Taiwan with a degree in English Literature and TEFL Cert and 7 years experience in China, and middling mandarin ability and get a job?

Yes, just apply to schools directly. I worked at three different schools in Taiwan, and I never had my degree apostilled or notarized.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Quote:
I worked at three different schools in Taiwan, and I never had my degree apostilled or notarized.

Thanks for the reply. Just curious on why dewey had that requirement, that is all. Any problem with being a UK national, most jobs I see are looking for north american speakers (US/Canada?). All and any advice is appreciated Laughing
Ferfichkin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any problem with being a UK national, most jobs I see are looking for north american speakers (US/Canada?). All and any advice is appreciated

Some schools prefer a teacher with a North American accent, but my feeling is that the majority of schools aren't that worried about it.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: thanks fer Reply with quote

Cheers, I'm currently homeless in HK and so a leap of faith to Taiwan does not bother me, I won't ask for advice on sleeping outside in Taipei as these boards are not that place, but at the moment for me it is quite literally anything else is something better. Impossible to work in HK unless you got a valid work visa or HKID Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad Mad Shocked Laughing Confused Sad

Thanks again,
Sp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: