Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manchester Dil Okullari
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartago

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sam, you asked me about the school and I think you've been working there for 2 months. I was initially satisfied with the school as well.

It's possible they've changed their ways and learned they have to treat teachers well. It would be wise to do so considering not many people would want to work in Erzurum.

Actually my complaints were not about the apartment or the salary, although I'm surprised to hear it's the nicest place you've ever lived. Perhaps they have a different apartment now.

My complaints were about abusive behaviour by the management and contracting teachers out to private schools, which was not mentioned in the interview or contract. Perhaps Manchester Dil Okullari no longer has a contract with those schools and you haven't had to deal with the poor behaviour there. I was also dissatisfied with having to work 7 days a week due to staff shortages and the abusive reaction by management when I politely objected to this.

I'm glad you are happy there and hope that continues.

I see that in their recent job advertisements Manchester Dil Okullari is now calling itself Manchester English Academy and I don't know if this is due to negative publicity or what, change of a franchise or what.

Thanks for support CVN.
gypsy67

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All,

I am guessing that "Sam" was probably Serhat, best friends with Gökhan. I was treated to their peculiarly Turkish mafia version of educational leadership many years ago when we worked together at British Culture in Erzurum. My "accommodation" was more or less the same - think Bangledeshi construction workers in Dubai - chronic drug use, invitations to a cheap brothel, aggressive, disrespectful behavior and not getting paid. There is absolutely nothing good about the place. Definitely stay away.
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
inotu-unotme wrote:
For the one person thats a fan of this school... He stated, "im saving around 85% of my salary and eating like a king." The statements made by this person are so the opposite of the other comments. With all due respect does this person work for the administration of the school in question?

I hope he or she isn't a teacher after looking at the terrible English in the post.
i
Unnecessary stab... But, I'm sure your well aware of this being the self appointed intellect. Your comment has nothing to do with the original OP comment.

Last edited by inotu-unotme on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dil is back on Serious Teachers and here advertising, begging, for teachers. The word is getting out. Good.
cartago

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm glad that word is getting out. They're looking for 5 or more teachers so they must be really low. This thread was not something that I posted lightly. If I felt that the situation was in any way my fault or that the issues were minor then I wouldn't have posted it. It's really the abusive behavior by the management that caused me to do it. They're really shooting themselves in the foot because even if the school were ideal, not many teachers would want to work in Erzurum or Kars.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
Yes, I'm glad that word is getting out. They're looking for 5 or more teachers so they must be really low. This thread was not something that I posted lightly. If I felt that the situation was in any way my fault or that the issues were minor then I wouldn't have posted it. It's really the abusive behavior by the management that caused me to do it. They're really shooting themselves in the foot because even if the school were ideal, not many teachers would want to work in Erzurum or Kars.

Don't hold back. Please continue to get the word out. Don't hesitate and start feeling like it could be your fault. You know your standards, and a lot of us share those. What you will put up with grudgingly, I may not tolerate. I want to know about bad conditions ahead of time. I don't want to walk into a spider web of high turnover and intolerable work conditions. I've had enough of that BS.
cartago

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I wasn't saying that I'm starting to think I might be at fault. I meant, if I did think that then I wouldn't have posted this. I'm not the kind of person to blacklist a school over a few disagreements.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
Right I wasn't saying that I'm starting to think I might be at fault. I meant, if I did think that then I wouldn't have posted this. I'm not the kind of person to blacklist a school over a few disagreements.

Cartago,

I was scheduled to interview with Manchester Dil Okullari. After reading this thread I canceled. I had a "job from hell" seven years ago in South Korea. I don't ever want to repeat that experience again, especially in Erzurum of all places.

Thanks for getting the word out.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abusive management and 4 teachers in one house sharing one bathroom among the 4 would turn me away.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CVN-76 wrote:
Dil is back on Serious Teachers and here advertising, begging, for teachers. The word is getting out. Good.

Apparently, it's working. I just received the standard introductory email from the DOS of Manchester Dil Okullari. This is the second time he has emailed it to me ... and it's coming just a week after I had written him to cancel our Skype interview (after I saw this thread)!
CVN-76

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it. It's great the word is getting out there, information that empowers teachers and helps them avoid bad employers. I'm nobody's white-faced w*h*o*r*e, but unfortunately we can find ourselves being treated like we are. I recently worked at a place in Turkland where the classrooms were fully equipped with fancy, expensive gadgets that no doubt cost thousands of Lira per classroom, while the teachers got paid chicken feed by the tight-wad trustees fronting as owners, rulers who ruled with authoritarian rule. Of course, this was only the tip of the usual iceberg.
cartago

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must be really desperate. A few weeks ago I got a facebook request from their accountant. This is someone I had minimal dealings with and hadn't seen for over a year. We never communicated with each other by e-mail so I don't think it was just a result of him adding his e-mail contacts to his facebook list.

I know some other former employees who got a request from him as well so it's definitely MDO/MEA trying to re-recruit former employees. Considering what went down between us it's shocking they would try to re-recruit me but possible that they just added a large group by an e-mail list. However, the accountant does not know English and is just the accountant so it's odd they would choose him as the go between and makes me wonder if they really were trying to re-recruit me.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:

But the schools in the region will have no qualms blacklisting you and attacking you with ad-hominem attacks to hurt your credibility over a few disagreements. The ad-hominem arrows are flung because they are effective, although they are the last bastion of the desperate.
sam862010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Manchester strikes again Reply with quote

I need to write this.

My initial experience and personal dealing with manchester have not been too bad.
They did work me like a dog in ramadhan but it was a good test.
but i still had to stay on my toes and badger them for my money all the time, even resorting to taking it in little bits until i got it all.

The reason i'm here is to expose the sheer underhanded ruthlessness of this outfit.
My good friend who was working there until recently.
Has been left over 10000lira ($5000) out of pocket
And to add insult to injury manipulated him into over staying his visa.
Now he has left the country having to pay his own fine on the way out and being left living at his parents in europe with even a pot to piss in.

All i can say is avoid this school like the plague.

you WILL get screwed
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know when you started at Dil, Sam862010, but this thread has been living here a good while. Anyway, I was nearly recruited by Dil about 2 years ago, but I turned them down. Something didn't feel right. I'm glad I listened to my gut. But don't think Dil has a monopoly on treating teachers like dirt in Turkey, especially those teachers who can see through the outfits' BS and refuse to be treated like, more or less, prostitutes of the profession. And on top of this, we're talking about Turkey, which isn't known for high salaries. If I'm going to be expected to endure bad treatment in any form, I'm going to get paid to endure it. 1200 USD to 1500 USD isn't going to cut it for me when I know I can go to the Middle East and endure the same nonsense for double or even triple the salary. Dil, along with some other places in Turkey, needs to wake up from the dream sleep and realize this. Some of us teachers don't have to put up with it. And we won't. What we will do, however, is tell others, get the word out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: