Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IELTS examiner certification
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chunkocheese

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shawadywady"]chunkocheese wrote:

Quote:
Why are you and others looking at this job differently from any other job?

shawadywady wrote:
Are you being paid 50mao for this?? Hope it was worth signing up to Dave's for.

Well that comment is just so stupid I'm not even offended. But NoBillyNO is welcome to be my hero if he has nothing better to do...

shawadywady wrote:
People with something between their ears are looking at this job in the same way they've always looked at it and are trying to figure out why they'll be paid half the amount of $ for the same amount of work!

Yeah, I know the complexity of all this is on a par with rocket science, but I'll try to dumb it down for you: The job has changed, the benefits have changed, so what the BC asks of examiners has changed.

shawadywady wrote:
Of course people have to decide what's right for them but expecting people not to compare how it was to how it will is exactly how the BC wants us to think.

If comparing a defunct business model to the new model makes you happy, then knock yourself out. I, on the other hand, prefer not to bitch and moan over what's been lost and can't be recovered. I prefer to be more pragmatic. I have looked at the new deal to see what's in it for me. What I see is the opportunity to make very good money with some good benefits for a relatively small (though tedious) workload.
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
shawadywady wrote:
Are you being paid 50mao for this?? Hope it was worth signing up to Dave's for.

Well that comment is just so stupid I'm not even offended. But NoBillyNO is welcome to be my hero if he has nothing better to do...

I saw it but thought ... sub-zero stupidity needs no comment....
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their new scheme is ... well, a scheme.

Not too many current examiners are willing/able to sign up to this hare-brained scheme.

Although there are the foolhardy.

So, picture it like this - you went through the nonsense of:
1. getting a raise,
2. having that raise snatched out from under your feet,
3. being told you need to be on a Z visa (although BC implicitly told you that you should not rely on them as they were not able to obtain you a Z visa, and this was part time work),
4. being told you were to be available at their beck and call to work (and not being compensated for delays/canceled flight/other random travel woes)
5. then being told to sign up or walk the plank (ie. tell your current employer you're breaking contract or be booted off their new scheme...)

ALL the examiners are being fed BS. Some have walked away, some are biding their time, some are desperately in need of the lucre, and literally HAVE to do this rotten job for this rotten company.
chunkocheese

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
Their new scheme is ... well, a scheme.

Not too many current examiners are willing/able to sign up to this hare-brained scheme.

Although there are the foolhardy.

So, picture it like this - you went through the nonsense of:
1. getting a raise,
2. having that raise snatched out from under your feet,
3. being told you need to be on a Z visa (although BC implicitly told you that you should not rely on them as they were not able to obtain you a Z visa, and this was part time work),
4. being told you not be available at their beck and call to work (and not being compensated for delays/canceled flight/other random travel woes)
5. then being told to sign up or walk the plank (ie. tell your current employer you're breaking contract or be booted off their new scheme...)

ALL the examiners are being fed BS. Some have walked away, some are biding their time, some are desperately in need of the lucre, and literally HAVE to do this rotten job for this rotten company.

Prankster if you are going to resuscitate a thread at least you could have something new to say.

You mention 3 groups of examiners. One are a choir you are preaching to. And the other two will probably not be convinced by your preachings / rantings. The same goes for my rantings by the way. Come to think of it, why are either of us bothering to post about all this? Everyone must have made up their minds by now, surely? (And if they haven't, at the end of the day what is it to us...?)

I am curious though, how many examiners read this thread?
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I know pretty much sez the same as you guys....I talk to him about your post... but he doesn't participate n Dave's.....
chunkocheese

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other forums where examiners are discussing BC updates and lack of updates? I know of Muller's emails and that Microblog a couple of years back. Anything else apart from that? I've searched but found nothing.

I'm based in Shanghai. It would be useful to know what is happening in the other regions. Especially BJ once further details of the offer/scheme/scam become available.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prankster if you are going to resuscitate a thread at least you could have something new to say.

Fair enough. I'm kicking a dead dog here.

I'm interested to know what examiners are paid in other Asian countries, and for that matter around the world. I'd love to see that.

In Taiwan you need to have your own job that provides an ARC/work permit, and they DON'T pay for travel costs or hotels.

BC China does, so mini-kudo to them.
7brett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UAE examiners are paid about $10 US per writing script( task 1 and 2) and about $15 US per speaking interview. If you are asked to travel outside of your city they will provide a hotel.
piglet44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates re the BC /examiners debacle?
I am intending to do the course before I return to China for next semester and I am just not sure if I can be arsed to do it since the BC are already messing me around...
So any recent updates would be most useful.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given them the boot. Can't be bothered with their nonsense.

Couple of fellow examiners I know are on-board.

I've moved onto greener, less tasteless pastures.

Each to their own.
piglet44

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Prankster.You most probably did the right thing.
True Blue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied with them last year in Beijing (their office is in the Landmark Hotel Office building next to Starbucks) and was told "you are qualified but right now our hiring preference is UK citizens!" So in China where discrimination is the norm you had better be a Brit.
piglet44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Brit but even so the BC has been mucking me about and driving me nuts.
JayCee86

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Blue wrote:
I applied with them last year in Beijing (their office is in the Landmark Hotel Office building next to Starbucks) and was told "you are qualified but right now our hiring preference is UK citizens!" So in China where discrimination is the norm you had better be a Brit.

Did you ever think that that might just have been an excuse not to hire you specifically. If it happened at all. I know of more than one non-Brit who has become an examiner in the last year.
abigolblackman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to report on US earnings.

15$ / head speaking
15$ / script

I actually haven't gotten my first check from the US gig yet but it should be coming this week after 2 months of testing so we'll see how it actually plays out.

All sign-ups are still done by very informal emails and we still use pencils and paper, no white boards and markers.

We have a lot of Saudi and Kuwati examinees at my center. Right now we only test twice a month and spots fill up fast. We could easily test every week at my center alone and it's probably justifiable at every center in the country, but we are run by IDP and they don't seem as money grubby as the BC. I would actually like to test weekly but the examiners here complain if they get more than 10 candidates Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: