Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Normandy Region of France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotlet00

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Normandy Region of France Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I recently completed my certification in TESL in Canada and working on getting my TESL Canada Professional Certificate Standards 1 before the end of the year.
My husband and I are looking to move to Europe soon and are slowly preparing ourselves. I have to been France several times and it has mostly been to the Normandy region (specifically Rouen) and have family there as well and was wondering if anyone has any insight as to teaching English in this region of France?

I will be taking a trip to France again this October to travel around and find more potential places but I don’t know where to start. Any insights?

Thank you!

Nilou
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your nationality? If not European then how will you get a visa to work?
kotlet00

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MuscatGary,

Thanks for your reply. I am a Canadian and I am aware that I have to get a work visa. I am hoping to connect with potential employees when I go there to visit and I also have family members who have offered to help me find an employee prior to me leaving Canada so that I can obtain a work visa. Thats my plan at least for now!

Nilou
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European work visas are normally only issued to non-EU citizens if they have skills and/or qualifications that are in short supply in the EU and if no EU citizen cannot be found to do the job. There is a super-abundance of native English speakers just across the Channel who can do this in the case of tefl. I have known some North Americans who have managed to set up as auto-entrepreneurs and you may want to ask your local contacts about this avenue. Good luck with your search.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're eligible for a working holiday visa (more on this on the Canadian gov't websites) you've got a chance. Otherwise, if your only passport is Canadian, probably near zero chance of legal work permit for France, regardless of your family connections.

The problem is that a potential employer has to make a claim that 'you' are the only candidate for the job - that he/she could not find any EU member citizen to fill the position. With your basic quals, you'll have no chance to compete with UK teachers.

Husband an EU member citizen? If not, you can't sponsor him, either.

If you're going to be there anyway, no harm in asking around, but it's highly likely that employers will tell you 'if you can get a visa, we'll hire you" meaning that they can't get one for you.
busby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in Rouen.The association that I work for go into pre-schools and primary at lunchtimes and at the end of the school day to do language workshops. We are all self-employed (auto-entrepreneurs) so you would have to look this up. Wall Street Institute is present in Rouen and also "petit-bilingues".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: