Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

micronesia
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: micronesia Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on teaching in Micronesia?

I'm soon to hit a retirement wall (62) in Korean public schools, after 15 steady years. Good at what I do, love what I do, & not inclined to stop. I've taught all ages including training teachers. Canadian with an MA in English Lit. Not concerned about wages beyond a local stipend. Nice school in a nice little town, is all I want.

Micronesia has always held a fascination for me, though its one place I havent traveled. I'm posting this on a sudden & unresearched whim. Is this viable?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.
weshh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your near retirement!!

I don't know much about micronesia, but I am interested to learn more!!
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Marshall islands,Guam or Saipan.

I'd imagine they'd want American certified/registered teachers.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I visited Yap a couple weeks ago to get the scoop first-hand. I dropped in at several public schools & spoke with administrators, teachers, & students. They need teachers but have limited budget. I met with the school coordinator at the Department of Education. They have a program that provides airfare every two years, housing, & a small local wage. There is an official retirement age but they dont apply it to foreigners.

The island itself is tiny, isolated, culturally unique, slow-paced, & friendly -- right up my alley. I've started the wheels turning towards a start this september.
Mandrews1985

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Schwa,

I am really interested in the outcome of your potential move to Yap and if it all pans out, what life is like there and how you're settling in.

Please keep us informed!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Micronesia is nothing special....why not try the Philippines there are better paying EFL jobs jobs there. Good luck! Smile
Nuolan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
So I visited Yap a couple weeks ago to get the scoop first-hand. I dropped in at several public schools & spoke with administrators, teachers, & students. They need teachers but have limited budget. I met with the school coordinator at the Department of Education. They have a program that provides airfare every two years, housing, & a small local wage. There is an official retirement age but they dont apply it to foreigners.

The island itself is tiny, isolated, culturally unique, slow-paced, & friendly -- right up my alley. I've started the wheels turning towards a start this september.

Do you have a blog, schwa? I'd be really interested to read about your experiences there.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:

As for the Licensed part?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: of pa Reply with quote

Micronesia is just like Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands in terms of pay and benefits for EFL teachers. Everything you get is micro...don't expect to receive more than the minimum wage ( $6:00 - $7:00 per hour. Savings are next to impossible....and you may end up being on welfare! Shocked Shocked [/code]
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to update this old thread of mine.

I've been here since march & I'm teaching freshman english at Yap High School. For me, my dream job. The school is a bit disorganized & impoverished but its an earnest place & the kids for the most part are sweet. I've got free rein as to what & how I teach them & plan to focus on literature & writing (they're already all capable english speakers). I love my barefoot-only classroom.

As a non-American, getting my work permit was time-consuming & expensive (US$1000 fee) but time & money well-spent. I think I'm settled for a good while now. I'm at break-even wages with great provided housing while most of the few other NETs here are Peace Corps or church volunteers.

Life on Yap is slow & wouldnt suit everyone, but I'm in my element. Island population around 7000. Folks are friendly & welcoming. Its so pretty & serene here, like living in a botanical park & more innocent times, & summer year-round. Not paradise, but as far as I'm concerned, damn near.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

You are extremely lucky you are at break even wages and get free housing. I know a lot of EFL teachers would not be so lucky there and would most likely end up as non paid volunteers basking in poverty under the Pacific sun!
Shakey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Time to update this old thread of mine.

I've been here since march & I'm teaching freshman english at Yap High School. For me, my dream job. The school is a bit disorganized & impoverished but its an earnest place & the kids for the most part are sweet. I've got free rein as to what & how I teach them & plan to focus on literature & writing (they're already all capable english speakers). I love my barefoot-only classroom.

As a non-American, getting my work permit was time-consuming & expensive (US$1000 fee) but time & money well-spent. I think I'm settled for a good while now. I'm at break-even wages with great provided housing while most of the few other NETs here are Peace Corps or church volunteers.

Life on Yap is slow & wouldnt suit everyone, but I'm in my element. Island population around 7000. Folks are friendly & welcoming. Its so pretty & serene here, like living in a botanical park & more innocent times, & summer year-round. Not paradise, but as far as I'm concerned, damn near.

That sounds fantastic. At your age and stage of your career, it seems like a good fit for you. I assume, then, that you are receiving a pension for your time in Korea.

If so, does Korea provide a monthly pension payment or were you paid out in one lump sum?

Finally, I appreciate how you point out that it would not be for everyone. I agree. It probably would not be ideal for younger TEFL'ers who are interested in night life or the convenience of big cities where they can make friends and attend events, etc. Also, and as noted by the previous poster, for those who are trying to save for their retirement years it probably would not be an ideal location.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea was good to me, my future is set. Yeh, they also send me a modest monthly pension check, & I get one from Canada too.

If theres a subtext to this thread, its this: offbeat whims can materialize.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: micronesia Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Can anyone comment on teaching in Micronesia?

I'm soon to hit a retirement wall (62) in Korean public schools, after 15 steady years. Good at what I do, love what I do, & not inclined to stop. I've taught all ages including training teachers. Canadian with an MA in English Lit. Not concerned about wages beyond a local stipend. Nice school in a nice little town, is all I want.

Micronesia has always held a fascination for me, though its one place I havent traveled. I'm posting this on a sudden & unresearched whim. Is this viable?

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats on getting the job.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TB.

Happy camper here, contracted for at least a couple more years. I love Yap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: