Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a KITAS question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaybet3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I first started teaching in Indo (2009), a big-name chain school had me working on a social visa. Promising the KITAS would be coming soon. They even once took my passport and got an extension processed in Bali WITHOUT AN EXIT STAMP!!! I was furious with the school.

Then next time I had to leave the country, Immigration pulled me out of the line and had me wait while the officer went into a room to speak with what was likely his boss. Keeping calm and my mouth shut, the officer came back and returned my passport without any questions. I can only guess that whoever put their chop on my visa was known as part of the scams that are rampant in this country.

My advice. Don't work on a social/tourist visa. I was lucky. If you get caught, you're the one who is in trouble. Sorry friend, but the school ain't gonna back you up. Not during these days of increased scrutiny.

In conclusion, don't think that smiling face is going to give a crap about you when things get bad.
memae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know, and that's a lot to do with why i'm out. Working at this school just makes me anxious.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaybet3 wrote:
Back when I first started teaching in Indo (2009), a big-name chain school had me working on a social visa. Promising the KITAS would be coming soon. They even once took my passport and got an extension processed in Bali WITHOUT AN EXIT STAMP!!! I was furious with the school.

Then next time I had to leave the country, Immigration pulled me out of the line and had me wait while the officer went into a room to speak with what was likely his boss. Keeping calm and my mouth shut, the officer came back and returned my passport without any questions. I can only guess that whoever put their chop on my visa was known as part of the scams that are rampant in this country.

My advice. Don't work on a social/tourist visa. I was lucky. If you get caught, you're the one who is in trouble. Sorry friend, but the school ain't gonna back you up. Not during these days of increased scrutiny.

In conclusion, don't think that smiling face is going to give a crap about you when things get bad.

Thank you for that frank assessment.There are schools around who get people the correct visa, but without the magical English / TESOL degree, options narrow considerably. Many people have opted to go the National Plus route in their area of specialization, which is one way around it. You could be a History or Maths teacher, for example.

There is also has been variation between provinces in the past. People have told me, for instance, that the English degree requirement is less strictly enforced in North Sumatra (Medan). I've also heard that there may be more latitude in East Java. But I agree with Jaybets that you don't want to be on a Sosbud (social visa).
memae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i made it home without any hassles. What was weird was that they said they had to cancel my sosbud because they cancelled my processing KITAS. Like, they said they cancelled my KITAS because i wasn't going to work for them, but because of that they had to cancel my current sosbud because i wouldn't be coming back to work for them. They made it sound like a DIKNAS thing, which is weird, because on a sosbud i shouldn't have been working or looking for work so why would that be so affected by cancelling a KITAS. Sounded strange to me, but i'm just happy to be out of what was becoming a really, really uncomfortable situation.

Out of 8 western teachers, 4 left at the same time (myself included), and i'm not sure they'll have much luck in hiring new ones.
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done in getting out of there! I'll bet the other four western departures were all 'new hires' working illegally as well? Absolutely. right now, the school will not be able to obtain those work permits for new hires.....the story they fed you about the connection between your Sosbud and processing the Kitas....pure bull!
memae

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The others were not extending their contracts, and i wasn't signing mine just to find out i'd end up feeling the same way as them. Some of them have lived there for a long time and have family there, so it's a pretty big deal that dissatisfaction working there is enough to convince them to quit. Most people can put up with nonsense at work if they're settled and happy in the other parts of their lives.

It ended up taking weeks to get my passport back from immigration too, just because no one wanted to go and pick it up (and i couldn't get there while it was open because i was teaching).

i was wondering if perhaps it's a bit easier to get working visas for schools outside of Jakarta, and considering Manado is about as far as you can get maybe they just don't care so much.

i thought what they were saying about sosbud and kitas being connected wasn't right. They made me give them my flight details and stuff so i wouldn't get into trouble at immigration. i have no idea if they were just being bullies and trying to scare me or if they are just super clueless about visas. When i picked up my sosbud before starting there they said i didn't need any documents to get it, which i questioned because i've done this before, but i was assured that it wasn't necessary. Don't know why i took their word for it because i was right. Should've taken that as a red flag and never gone through with starting work there, but geez, spending a bit of time in Manado was pretty fabulous and my Indonesian really picked up (except everyone kept correcting me when i'd chop out bits and pieces of words because of my 'logat Jakarta').

There's talk of a pentecostal equivalent opening in the city and i'm sure some of the parents are involved in funding it to get started. It might be better for a school to have multiple investors and a board rather than just one owner and no transparency. There's also a new SPH and i think Citra Kasih is slowly expanding. Some competition might do the school some good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: