Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New teachers thinking of coming to Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

You're doing the right thing. Some of my friends worked in and around Moscow and ended up doing really well, especially with the 1:1 private students. The other thing is there are the agencies like Bonne International and Guvernior, which pay 3,500 Sterling a month and are sometimes Mon to Fri, which could get the missus sorted. I have a friend Mike who was making more than 3k GBP in Moscow without busting a gut doing privates with business folk. I'd go there. Have the same 'fun' and earn real dosh.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I don't know how "unrealistic" not teaching teens would be overall. I've never been forced to do teens but have taken some 18-19 year olds for one-on-ones and had a 12 year old for a month once while another teacher took vacation. I suspect that is more to do with your school and market though.

Sounds great although I'm surprised you're thinking about Krakow. It seems to have mixed results for TEFL teachers. Are there no cities in between 40,000 and 1.5 million which the GF and you might agree on?

Still, good to hear that it all worked out for you. Let us know if you head for Moscow, I'll be curious how the RF works out over the next few years.

Best of Luck and Grats on sailing through your first year in PL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind comments.

I am not set on Krakow by any means, it's just another option. Moscow is tempting.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moscow ? Just remember -

Москва слезам не верит
stonethecrow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

I won't be expecting any handouts when/if I get there.
ieltsteacher102

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Poland about 10 years ago before going to Asia and the salary was not very good, it sounds to me that the salary and working conditions have not improved or gotten worse for TEFL teachers, I would never go back, I would prefer the sandpit
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: mr ielts Reply with quote

I think it just changes as you get older. What was acceptable when I was 28 isn't acceptable or indeed what I want now. TEFL Poland is a younger person's game or for the people who have got some money and are working their early retirement IMHO.

Yes, millions of Poles live and work there but when you know them, very few are happy with the work/financial situation and all moan about the cost of living. Of course, you won't get that from bankers, lawyers and private doctors. Poland is enjoying growth but much of it is down to EU funds. When that stops, you'll see the real economy. Western firms set up shop there precisely because the labour costs are low. EFL in most places is a low payer but put that in a low labour cost economy and you get the idea of where salaries are at. In the abstract, the EFL average income is diabolical but there are individuals, who down to good luck, networking and footwork have made it work out quite well for now.

Groceries and transport are cheap but that's really it. There are other things which seem cheaper but you are not getting the same quality or like for like service by any means.

The bureaucracy is enough to drive a sane person mad. For EU citizens to have to register where they live, get karta pobytus etc etc is just obtuse. I can understand the American visa issue as the Americans don't exactly make it easy for Poles if they want to go to the U.S. and set up shop. Banking services are dreadful.

Talk of sandpits is so misleading. Some of these sandpits afford luxuries service and lifestyles that Poles, even rich ones, have never even imagined. That was certainly the case in Qatar and is the case in the UAE.

If you really love Poland, cut your teeth, leave and go back when you've got a pot of cash. It will be so much nicer I assure you. It's true that my present location is not ideal but it is not forever and in the 10 years I've worked for this company I've had a couple of sabbaticals but 2 more years and I'm almost set and in my early 40's.

Money isn't everything but you need it.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: mr ielts Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
I think it just changes as you get older. What was acceptable when I was 28 isn't acceptable or indeed what I want now. TEFL Poland is a younger person's game or for the people who have got some money and are working their early retirement IMHO.

Yes, millions of Poles live and work there but when you know them, very few are happy with the work/financial situation and all moan about the cost of living. Of course, you won't get that from bankers, lawyers and private doctors. Poland is enjoying growth but much of it is down to EU funds. When that stops, you'll see the real economy. Western firms set up shop there precisely because the labour costs are low. EFL in most places is a low payer but put that in a low labour cost economy and you get the idea of where salaries are at. In the abstract, the EFL average income is diabolical but there are individuals, who down to good luck, networking and footwork have made it work out quite well for now.

Groceries and transport are cheap but that's really it. There are other things which seem cheaper but you are not getting the same quality or like for like service by any means.

The bureaucracy is enough to drive a sane person mad. For EU citizens to have to register where they live, get karta pobytus etc etc is just obtuse. I can understand the American visa issue as the Americans don't exactly make it easy for Poles if they want to go to the U.S. and set up shop. Banking services are dreadful.

Talk of sandpits is so misleading. Some of these sandpits afford luxuries service and lifestyles that Poles, even rich ones, have never even imagined. That was certainly the case in Qatar and is the case in the UAE.

If you really love Poland, cut your teeth, leave and go back when you've got a pot of cash. It will be so much nicer I assure you. It's true that my present location is not ideal but it is not forever and in the 10 years I've worked for this company I've had a couple of sabbaticals but 2 more years and I'm almost set and in my early 40's.

...so if you REALLY like living and teaching in Poland, leave Poland and go to the Mid-East where you can earn enough money to live in Poland... 10-20 years later"

Does this sound asinine to anyone else?

Why not just find a way to earn more money IN Poland? We've been over how to do this many times before...

It is easiest to do this in Warsaw.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Not asinine at all. Go there, enjoy it, go and earn some dosh and return and life will be much easier. Seems like a no brainer to me and lots do it. I have spent a lot of time in Poland over the last 10 years on my rotation and what with a couple of stints of time off.

The vast majority of people I know who have tried your way ie stay and earn more, have never really earned that much more and work their asses off.

There are plenty of places you can go with the missus and earn a lot and have a great time too. Now I'm married again, we will do that.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon's idea isn't half bad, considering that you don't need as many dollars or pounds to retire in Poland as you do in Blighty or the U.S. I think this is especially good for Tefler's who, by the fact that they chose to leave their homeland in the first place, probably don't mind moving around a bit anyway. I do pretty well here and manage to save what I consider a good amount of money even by Western standards each month. We also go to expensive concerts, vacations in Western Europe and Asia etc. With a wife who works and can contribute, and no kids, I believe it is quite possible to live quite well here. Of course kids are a money pit, really, I suppose no amount is ever enough to satisfy the wants of a modern child, it's up to the parent to decide what to do about that Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I'll wager the 'vast majority of people you know' are not particularly ambitious or committed to bettering themselves (no offence, I'd say the same thing about myself).How many have a DELTA or PGCE? How many speak Polish to B2 level or better? How many have sought out and found other sources of income, aside from 'just' teaching Eng.?

Second, if you truly want a very cheap place to retire, there are far better options than Poland. Places where you'll get far better value for your money. Thailand is a good example, as are many SE Asian countries.

Your lifestyle works for you, dragonpiwo. That's great. But it's a unique situation that won't appeal to most.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

Believe me Shake, there are days here when it doesn't appeal to me but I have a long-term plan that's all. I also had a series of things happen in my life which cost a lot like divorce and illness of a parent. My child support and bills come to about 3,500 Zl, so TEFL Poland isn't really an option right now. The wife and I own a flat and a half but that's another story. My situation is just an option really. I'm in Poland for the duration come what may. I've got pals who live in Thailand who are telling me it's become quite pricy.

Anyhow, I'm sticking to my plan and we'll see what happens. I miss the wife of course but it won't be forever. Right now her career is very demanding, so she can get on top of her work when I'm not there and then take more time off when I'm home. It works for us.

I have many friends in Poznan who speak Polish fluently, some have DELTA's and MA's and it hasn't really got them much more in the way of hourly rates etc. Some translate, some proofread and some do promotional work and writing. I don't think any take home more than about 6.5k a month for 12 months of the year. It's fine to get by on that but they are getting older and like most TEFLers don't have pensions etc. Quite a few don't have kids yet and are almost 40 or more.

As for kids, parenting is a nightmare financially. My son does his school work on his laptop, so needs a good one, the other kids have smart phones, so he has one and all the school trips and camps cost loads. Kids stuff costs a lot in Poland whether it's clothing or snowboards or long-boards or bikes. It really is a money pit. Flying to see the family costs a lot when there are 3 of you, especially as we stay in hotels in the UK as my mum's in a dementia home and has been for a few years now. Gone are the days of getting a Tonker toy and selection box at Xmas. It all costs tonnes.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shake wrote:

Quote:
...so if you REALLY like living and teaching in Poland, leave Poland and go to the Mid-East where you can earn enough money to live in Poland... 10-20 years later"

kinna' strong, innit'?

i wholeheartedly disagree, man. people, men in particular, make career decisions based on what the family needs. sometimes that job, whether it's the responsibilities or location or hours are less than ideal, but it gets the job done for the family, at the present time. when you get older, have a wife and children, own a home, priorities change and you make career choices based on a different set of parameters. whether or not your apartment is close to the local pub or your favorite gym or if the city's location favors your travel or hobby needs doesn't mean a thing if you can't provide. sometimes the dreadful "means to an end" winds up on the table. it is what it is.

for some, 20 years of great life at the cost of 10 years of prior tough life is better than 30 years of mediocre life.
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: mr ielts Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
dragonpiwo wrote:

Why not just find a way to earn more money IN Poland? We've been over how to do this many times before...

It is easiest to do this in Warsaw.

+5

Amazing how dense some people can be about doing TEFL IN POLAND.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shake lives in Japan. What does that tell you?
It means TEFL in Poland is a tough place to make money in.
Dragopiwo is just being responsible. Don`t know why he gets so much flak.

Other guys have done the same as him, once they have a Polish spouse.
Polish women don`t always want to live outside Poland, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: