Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will salaries be increased as laws get more stringent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the new EF schools are offering 15 million rupiah for people who meet the DIKNAS regulations. These are for their Adult Centres. There is one in Sudirman and another opening in Taman Anggrek. They seem to be going upmarket in order to compete with Wall Street for the big bucks. Therefore I don't think it's accurate to say they are keeping salaries down for people with the right degree. They now offer an upmarket version and pay as much as anyone. They charge double what local schools do because they offer a superior service.

Does online learning and smart boards and fancy audio-visual stuff really matter? I enjoy the traditional classroom myself but young people do love their gadgets. The popularity of Wall Street and EF Adult Centres in Jakarta indicates that this style of learning has broad appeal and is highly motivating. When you think about it, it's hardly surprising that these modern, high-tech schools appeal to business people. And I think it is clear this trend will continue, much to the chagrin of the local school recruiters.

There is nothing innovative about buying copies of Cutting Edge and writing on a whiteboard. The local schools stick to this dated method mostly because it is cheap and no fuss. Smart boards do offer numerous educational advantages. They are more flexible and versatile. Schools that don't switch to them are usually more focused on the bottom line than the experience of learners.
markustm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: The "Gengsi" Factor Reply with quote

Taman Anggrek and Jl. Sudirman are actually some of the most expensive areas in the whole of Indonesia, so the extra salary won't surprise many teachers in Indonesia, because its needed to cover the higher living costs in both these areas.

Newcomers to this forum, should be aware that living costs can vary,depending on the area you live in, especially in Jakarta, and schools tend to offer salaries that reflect this.

Teachers would also be expected to give a good appearance,which also means you may need to own the most expensive phone, or wear branded clothes to fit into the school. This "Gengsi"factor, can mean some teachers can barely survive on 15 million in an area like Jl. Sudirman.

If your primary aim is to save or travel, its often better to work in an area with much lower living costs, and accept less salary, especially if you prefer to live closer to places like a mountain, ancient temple, or a beach.

In Indonesia, like most of South- east Asia, teachers don't work weekends, this is one drawback promoters of schools like Wall Street, ignore, and Indonesia does have hundreds if not, thousands of schools across the country, that do hire expatriate teachers legally.

Many of these schools, do not need to advertise, because they are usually contacted directly by teachers through their websites.

As for salary increases, thats anyones guess, but generally they do rise, if teachers re-new their contracts, but also factor in the fringe benefits of free housing, etc.

Last edited by markustm on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The Drawbacks of the Language Mills Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
The book is simply a guide, just as the materials created by outsourced individuals, for organizations like EF, and Wall Street.

Can you provide any proof for your allegation that Wall Street outsources the production of its learning materials? They are owned by Pearson, one of the largest educational publushers in the world. I would have thought this leading British publisher with a worldwide reputation in education was a trusted brand. Do you have proof that they outsource their materials development? Perhaps you could provide a link because right now it sounds like you are making unsubstantiated allegations against your company's more successful competitors.
markustm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: False Claims Reply with quote

Pearsons and all book companies outsource nowadays, I don't understand why this is an issue. Anyone working in publishing knows this. Even the editing is usually outsourced to the Philippines, and India by most publishing companies.

I think you are misled about my identity, and would state clearly that I represent no company in Indonesia, what gives you the right to post false accusations on this forum? Have you read the forum rules?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is hardly surprising to see that Markustm is unable to source his claims. The fact is that EF has a large production unit In-House which produces materials for their textbooks. They produce their own materials for their courses and this is not done by Filipinos and Indians as he breezily- and wrongly- assures us. So he is clearly offering misleading information. Yes, the big schools do spend millions and millions of dollars on materials development.

Wall Street is the owner of unique software which they have developed themselves. In contrast, schools like TBI boast about being world-class but don't use a single one of their own books. They have been around 30 years and don't have a single published title to their name. This is due to a lack of people with degrees in TEFL. They don't have the knowhow to compete with the more professional outfits like EF and Wall Street. Hence the sour grapes.
markustm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Sticking to the Topic- Salaries in Indonesia Reply with quote

I thought the topic on this forum was salaries not your own issues with TBI , or your own personal feelings about one school, Wall Street, or the posting of imaginary accusations about me.

Can you stick to the topic of the thread, and continue a healthy discussion about the factors around salaries in Indonesia,instead of ruining the topic with your own hang-ups?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking to the Topic- Salaries in Indonesia Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
I thought the topic on this forum was salaries not your own issues with TBI , or your own personal feelings about one school, Wall Street, or the posting of imaginary accusations about me.

Can you stick to the topic of the thread, and continue a healthy discussion about the factors around salaries in Indonesia,instead of ruining the topic with your own hang-ups?

This is disingenuous from a person who has brought in issues such as the rise of the BRICs and the alleged, unproved outsourcing of editing work to Filipinos and even, just a few posts ago, the demise of Western civilization! I guess you are unable to prove your wild accusations against Wall Street and EF so you now pretend to want to talk about salaries.

But OK, let's talk about salaries. EF pays 15 million at their new, shiny Adult Centres at posh malls. Would you admit that is a large rise? Also Wall Street pays 17 million for people with teachers with English degrees. That's the highest salary on offer, right?

Can you name any local chains which have raised their salaries in a commensurate fashion? I know your self-professed "former" employer of 4 years, TBI, used to pay between 10 and 14 million depending on the branch.

Can you inform users of the current salaries at your recent employer, TBI? I think an update on salaries would be useful.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fallacies about Global Brand Schools Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
A flip side to Global Brands is that they often offer lower salaries than their counterparts, and dominate markets stifling competition, and innovation, by creating monopolies. This is very evident in Europe, and the US.

No wonder Europe and the US have declined so much in the 21st Century, and nations like China, Indonesia, the BRIC nations, and Russia have continually improved economically, and in the field of Education.

You what now? Also, I could have sworn that the R in BRIC was Russia so I don't know what the "BRIC nations, and Russia" means. Perhaps I was wrong and the R in BRIC is Rwanda?

As for education in Indonesia having improved, this is doubtful. There still isn't 1 Indonesian university in the Top 500 in the world, and tiny Singapore has 4. Also, the 99.9% pass rate in national exams in Indonesia has been widely criticised. It actually has a very poor education sector, rating barely ahead of African nations in international comparisons. This is one area it truly needs to improve in. Hopefully Jokowi will win tomorrow and education will be more of a priority in Indonesia.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallacies about Global Brand Schools Reply with quote

markustm wrote:

No wonder Europe and the US have declined so much in the 21st Century, and nations like China, Indonesia, the BRIC nations, and Russia have continually improved economically, and in the field of Education.

Really? Surprised I must have missed something.
princesss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallacies about Global Brand Schools Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
markustm wrote:

Really? Surprised I must have missed something.

I had a good chuckle about that too! What a crock! The truth is that Wall Street and EF are running laps around the local chains and their Dave's representatives are in a tizz. But who in their right mind with a Masters in Tesol would hope to work for a local chain like TBI? You will be more qualified than the Director!
MadRiley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: The "Gengsi" Factor Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
Taman Anggrek and Jl. Sudirman are actually some of the most expensive areas in the whole of Indonesia, so the extra salary won't surprise many teachers in Indonesia, because its needed to cover the higher living costs in both these areas..

Taman Anggrek isn't any more expensive than other areas of Jakarta necessarily. There are plenty of affordable apartnents around Tanjung Duren and Pluit. You can easily live there and have a short commute to work at Taman Anggrek Mall. It's a bit west of the centre so some reasonable deals are available. The mall caters to rich Chinese Indonesians but the area itself isn't too fancy. Sudirman area would be harder but you are also closer to the expat areas in Jakarta like Kemang so that's the up side. Mostly the schools will be happy to help you find an apartment or at least put you in touch with an English speaking real estate agent. It is something I would raise at the interview stage.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: In reply to Bradley Cooper Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
And don't bother to accuse me of being homophobic. Most Gossip show hosts,who are male, are usually homosexual. Should we ignore that fact , too?

Should we ignore the fact that most gossip show hosts are gay? Of course not! Clearly the sexuality of gossip show hosts is of the utmost importance to the issue of teacher salaries in Jakarta. It's amazing no one else brought it up first!

Also, the way you run down EF and Wall Street as "monopolists" and even "the McDonalds of Education" and then claim it's unfair to criticize TBI says it all. You are happy to dish it up, but you can't take it in return. You are out to disparage TBI's more professional and successful competitors, who you blame for TBI's woes.

The remarkable thing about the "Ex-TBI Bitches" anti-gay hate blog was that it took TBI a whole month to realize how bad it made them look. But just like "markustm" they are clueless and actually seem to believe that calling people "gay gossip queens" and flinging around offensive stereotypes is acceptable behaviour in 2014. This is what you get when you allow people without degrees to run language schools. TBI are just a bunch of bullies. They are terribly incompetent and unprofessional and people increasingly stay clear.

Here, for example, is the Facebook page for one of their worst schools. This school has a meagre 27 likes despite being in business for 10 years! Even worse, the school's webpage has not been updated since 2011. Such unprofessionalism is school's real problem and clearly no self-respecting company would act in such a careless fashion.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TBI-Bekasi/203533159660179
princesss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: False Claims Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
Pearsons and all book companies outsource nowadays, I don't understand why this is an issue. Anyone working in publishing knows this. Even the editing is usually outsourced to the Philippines, and India by most publishing companies.

Actually, I see no proof of your accusations that EF and Wall Street outsource the writing or editing of their books and software. Is this anything more than mud slinging? Please back up your claims with a link to an article.

But even if it were true, so what if Pearsons or EF outsources work to India and the Philippines? Is having Indian employees a crime? Even if EF's course books are produced by outsourced Filipinos, which you haven't proved at all, EF still owns the intellectual copyright, right? I'm not sure what you aim to prove by bringing the race or ethnicity of the authors into the debate. Do you have anything against Filipino authors and Indian editors?

You raise the race of the authors yourself and then say "I don't understand why it's an issue". If it's not an issue what country they are from don't raise it! But then this is the same user who is also harping on people's sexual preference. I am guessing respect of diversity might be a problem area.
p1randal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators please block these people!!!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fallacies about Global Brand Schools Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
A flip side to Global Brands is that they often offer lower salaries than their counterparts, and dominate markets stifling competition, and innovation, by creating monopolies. This is very evident in Europe, and the US.

Working for these organizations doesn't enhance your employment prospects, it simply creates low- paid , MacDonald type jobs, rather than long =term career prospects, with very little emphasis on staff development, as they prefer to hire cheaply.

This diatribe against Wall Street and EF is very unbalanced. Both of these schools now offer 15 million upwards at some schools, which is the highest in the industry so it is hard to see how they are creating "MacDonald type jobs". MacDonald jobs are presumably not the highest in the industry?

As for the allegations that Pearson "outsources" the writing of their books to India, that is completely false. For example, just look at their famous Cutting Edge series, which is used by many schools worldwide. The authors are well-regarded British academics. Here is list of authors:

Authors: Sarah Cunningham and Peter Moor with Jane Comyns Carr, Frances Eales and Chris Redston

As for the company itself:

Legal Notice
This website is owned and operated by Pearson Education Limited, a registered company in England and Wales whose registered office is at Edinburgh Gate, Harlow, Essex CM20 2JE. Company Registration number 872828, VAT Number GB278 5371 21.

http://www.pearsonelt.com/courses/Cutting%20Edge%20%28New%20Edition%29/485

Pearson owns Wall Street and EF creates their own intellectual copyright at an in-house development unit. It is a worry that markustm does not even bother to do a bit of research before making these claims.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: