Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in Phuket or Chiang Mai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherriRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Jobs in Phuket or Chiang Mai Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm interested in teaching English in either Phuket or Chiang Mai. I have a tesol certificate, bachelors degree in International Studies, and no experience.
I don't want to live in Bangkok or huge cites. Does anyone have any advice/opinions?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jobs in Phuket or Chiang Mai Reply with quote

Shruti wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in teaching English in either Phuket or Chiang Mai. I have a tesol certificate, bachelors degree in International Studies, and no experience.
I don't want to live in Bangkok or huge cites. Does anyone have any advice/opinions?

You and 10,000 other newbies each year want to work in peak tourist zones.
Competition for jobs in those 2 areas in particular is stiff and as a result wages are also among the lowest in the country even though the cost of living is higher.

There are 3 TEFL training centers in CM and at least 2 on Phuket.
Between them they each crank out about 30 new EFL teachers each month.
That is a lot of competition for people who are looking for jobs in those areas.
Move 200km in any direction away from a tourist destination and the odds of finding work are much better.

The best time to be here is March/April.
    There is a small hiring bump in Oct when schools are looking to replace staff that have either been fired or run off.
    The worst time to be looking is Dec - Feb when there are the maximum number of tourists looking to extend their stay in the sun and schools are winding down (they end their year in Feb.)
    You didn't mention your nationality but if you are not from one of:
    UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand then you also need to add a TOEIC certificate to your list of documents.

CherriRed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response! I'm American. Which cities would you recommend?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shruti wrote:
Thanks for your response! I'm American. Which cities would you recommend?

Fly in and travel around a bit. (jobs here are found "on-the-ground").
You won't find anything decent in EFL while you are sitting in the US.

If you want to job hunt from the comfort of your couch at home then Korea or China are the countries to be looking at.

Anything you find here while you are sitting there either:
(a) won't be here when you get here or
(b) will not be as advertized (hence the reason they are hiring a newbie from abroad).

Pay more attention to the job and less to the location.

There are lots of jobs crying out for qualified staff at the term breaks.
At peak times (March - May) you can pretty much pick and choose.

Look on the various jobs forums (here, ajarn, etc).

MrWright

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the terms? If hiring happens mar-may, when would the term begin?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
What are the terms? If hiring happens mar-may, when would the term begin?

Students return to school around mid May with teachers typically returning to school May 1-7.

EFL teachers are a dime a dozen in tourist destinations like Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Pattaya. Credentials mean nothing. Most places, other than the top international schools, look for the cheapest white face they can find.

Terms for EFL teachers are 30-60k (depending on experience and qualifications (what they can sell to the moms)) with no benefits.

Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very accurate advice. I live in Chiang Mai on a retirement visa, but have a lot of teaching experience. Wages are quite low here, and they seem to continually go down. A Physics Teacher from the US, at a (formerly) reputable school told me he was making 20K per month. I heard they produce 90 TEFLers per month here, and the younger crowd seem to be most afraid to step out of their shadow and go to KK, UTH, etc....
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are producing hundreds of TEFL graduates every month in Chiang Mai and in Phuket as well as in Pattaya. That is why wages are going down and down..supply outnumbers demand...pretty soon they will be asking for EFL volunteers to teach English in these places...and requre a TEFL certificate too!!!. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Yes they are producing hundreds of TEFL graduates every month in Chiang Mai and in Phuket as well as in Pattaya. That is why wages are going down and down..supply outnumbers demand...pretty soon they will be asking for EFL volunteers to teach English in these places...and requre a TEFL certificate too!!!. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not only was there a program at CMU back in 2010, where students paid to volunteer (they were promised visas), the admins at CMU suddenly decided there were too many farang on campus and cancelled all the visas, and closed down the program. The only people to get refunds, did so through their credit card companies. CMU is a great university, with great students, but my memory of that incident will last for a long, long time.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Lots of jobs in the Chiang Mai area these days....seems there is a boom of sorts for TEFL jobs there....despite the fact that that salaries still are quite low (averaging about Baht 25,000 Monthly). Smile Smile
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

Lots of jobs in the Chiang Mai area these days....seems there is a boom of sorts for TEFL jobs there....despite the fact that that salaries still are quite low (averaging about Baht 25,000 Monthly).

EFL Educator,

What would be the number of hours required in the classroom for a salary of Baht 25,000 monthly?

I'm looking to semi-retire in Chang Mai and so would be looking at wanting to teach less or around 20 hours per-week. Probably a little less than that, though.

Rent would cost me, what, Baht 12,000 a month, near downtown area and close to a fitness center and with full maintenance and room cleaning services?

The other Bath 13,000 would be enough to live on for food and expenses?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry not EFL Educator. For 30,000 I remember it was 25 hours per week, which is a heavy load. For the 25,000 salary the hours should be significantly less. Some jobs at that type of pay you work in the morning and go home in the afternoon, obviously not always. If you want you can pay 12000, but a decent apartment even in the center of town should be around 6000 (200 US Dollars). As far as eating you can get by on 9000 or even less, but I wouldn't go to far in going lower on that figure. To be honest in some cases it is best to get a room in sleazy Banglamphu until you know they're not going to sack you. Banglamphu is reasonably close to Sanum Luang the bus center for the city, It's up to you but, you could be sacked in weeks or months for just about any reason. If you decide to play it safe at first and live in the backpacker ghetto, Peachy Guest House is reasonable and you can get a good aircon room for cheap.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lousy pay, backpacker housing, working on tourist visa's, high chance of dismissal for no apparent reason.....why do people continue to flock to these places to work? Why not come here for extended vacation when you've made your money....in the gulf, for instance?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing Thailand....in more ways than one....EFL Backpackers love it here. Smile Smile Smile
adaruby

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Lousy pay, backpacker housing, working on tourist visa's, high chance of dismissal for no apparent reason.....why do people continue to flock to these places to work? Why not come here for extended vacation when you've made your money....in the gulf, for instance?

Something that's always baffled me.

Why not do a year or two elsewhere, work towards additional qualifications while you're there, and then come back and make some proper money while being able to enjoy life a little more?

Reading the horror stories on here makes me wonder if some people are actually masochistic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: