Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The DRC
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: The DRC Reply with quote

[][][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: failed states Reply with quote

I suggest that you read Conrad's "Heart of Darkness". If anything things are worse there now. I worked in the neighbouring state of Zambia some time back. The Congo (then Zaire) was a truly nightmarish place. Now it is in total anarchy. My candid advice is DO NOT GO THERE.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: failed states Reply with quote

[]][][

M@tt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My experience of DRC is so indirect as to be almost useless, but I will share it anyway. I spent part of summer 2000 and 2001 working for an org attached to the refugee camp near Vienna, Austria. Both summers, but esp. 2000, there was a sizeable population of Africans and almost all of them were from DRC/Kinshasa. Many of them didn't want to talk about what they were fleeing but I heard enough stories of families being mutilated that I didn't ever want to go. God bless those people, they had a miserable life.

Of course, things may have changed quite a bit--or, their experiences may be rather isolated(doubtful)--or, you may be exempt as a westerner (white??)... who knows? As you said, there's almost no way to really know what's going on in Africa without visiting. I should also add that the people who made it as far as Austria were highly educated, which leads me to believe that the folks in power at that time were cracking down on "intellectuals".

How original.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: DRC Reply with quote

My advice is to avoid it just like it Algeria. The english-language media have not reported this story but a large number of German and Dutch tourists disappeared in Algeria about 5 weeks ago. Other things on the international scene pushed that story off the front pages and TV screens.

Congo is NOT SAFE. And they don't like honkies either !
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: cf Algeria Reply with quote

No. My point is that the place is not safe. You read next to nothing about the war in American papers. In the ongoing war the UN estimates 3 million people have died. Think about that for a while. And then decide if you still want to go there.

I drew the comparison with Algeria because that is another country which you might not return from. I am NOT being melodramatic.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

]][

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: kinshasa Reply with quote

If you ever get to Kinshasa you will find that people have other things on their mind than paying you to teach them English. The country is in the middle of a civil war. You may feel that you have a right to go there and be employed. The locals will see things differently.

There is no absolute right for EFL teachers to go somewhere they think is cool. There are no jobs in Congo for expatriate native-speaker EFL teachers.

If you have other skills (mercenary ?) then you might be luckier.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: kinshasa Reply with quote

[][]

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: realistic Reply with quote

Negative ? No, just realistic. Let me ask you a couple.
1. Do you speak French to any level of competence ?
2. Have you traveled in Africa ? Under your own steam, not with some "safari group"

Your chances of getting a job teaching English in the DRC are so close to zero as to be nil.

have a nice day.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: realistic Reply with quote

][[]][.

Last edited by jason_seeburn on Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Zaire Reply with quote

Well I have been to Zaire but not to the even more chaotic successor state called the DRC.

Young bloods like you always know better than elders like me. Go and have a look for yourself.

You are wrong about your right to travel and TEFL though. All independent states exercise control over foreigners visiting, especially if they come to take up employment. Perhaps you were under the impresion that your President had given all citizens of the US the right to go anywhere anytime ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: