Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easiest state to get Teacher Certification? (w/ Praxis II)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weshh1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Easiest state to get Teacher Certification? (w/ Praxis II) Reply with quote

Hi,

So I am a college graduate and I passed the Praxis II Elementary Ed. which should qualify me for around 12 states I believe. I know the specifics vary but which state could I receive some type of teaching certification (temporary or whatever) with only my Praxis II score and diploma?

**I know some states require that you secure a teaching position prior to the state granting you a temporary certificate. I am looking to omit securing a position and just apply for a temporary certificate with what I have now.

Thank you!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the ESL Cafe focuses on TESOL and not on teaching content or elementary education, consider asking your question on International Schools Review, Proteacher, or A to Z Teacher Stuff.
weshh1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those forum suggestions. I will look there for further insight.

The reason I posted it here is because I hope to get an initial certification to open up doors for teaching jobs abroad. I am not particularly interested in teaching in the state that I will get certified.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of a state that will give you one without either a degree in Education and Student Teaching OR an alternative program, such as Teach for America. While it is true that many states require the Praxis tests as PART of the procedure I don't think that alone is enough anywhere.
weshh1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I have never heard of a state that will give you one without either a degree in Education and Student Teaching OR an alternative program, such as Teach for America. While it is true that many states require the Praxis tests as PART of the procedure I don't think that alone is enough anywhere.

Well, for florida for example: You have to 1) pass exam (FTCE) and then
2) you have to get offered a position at a school to get your temporary certificate. This certificate is good for like 4 years. I feel like maybe theres one state that doesnt require step #2.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of programs out there. TeacherReady consistently gets good reviews. If you want to know of others let me know and I'll find he. On my laptop.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

I got three from NJ without a degree in Ed or student teaching or alt progs. But they weren't full on licenses and that was years ago. They seem to be tightening up rules. OP you're probably going to have to go through an alternative cert prog.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I have never heard of a state that will give you one without either a degree in Education and Student Teaching OR an alternative program, such as Teach for America.

I was thinking the same thing because the OP posted on another thread that his/her BA is in psychology. That could be an issue as some international schools require the teacher's degree major be relevant to the subject or domain they're licensed to teach.
weshh1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

I got three from NJ without a degree in Ed or student teaching or alt progs. But they weren't full on licenses and that was years ago. They seem to be tightening up rules. OP you're probably going to have to go through an alternative cert prog.

Teacherready looks like a good program but it seems like it takes 9 months. I'll look into NJ and see if they still offer some sort of license without the ed degree/student teaching/alt qualification.

Yep nomad, my BA is in psychology. I will be happy to just have a few more doors opened with the teacher cert even if it isnt relevant to my degree.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the Praxis for Nevada but it is not offered much.
Instead I will take a NES test for Arizona then apply for certification and see how that goes. Just one test makes it easier.
It is much easier to take the test on the computer.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked NJ did away with the shortcut. 9 months really isn't that long if you consider a BEd is four years.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that begs the question......what makes you think you can teach, with no degree in Education, no student teaching......just sayin'
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moreover, in which countries will your qualifications allow you to teach elementary school? Have you done that research? Or are you assuming your qualifications will end up being enough to get you an elementary school teaching position somewhere?
weshh1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badbeagal: Well, qualifications I have 2 undergrad fieldwork internships at charter schools. I spent one year as a teaching assistant and this past year as a substitute teacher. I also have a couple MA courses (teaching foreign language learners k-12, instruction and classroom management) under my belt.

I agree 9 months in the scheme of things is not that long.

I was just thinking the initial certification would look good when applying to schools and meet some potential school requirements. Maybe visa requirements too... (Taiwan?)
JoeKing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
And that begs the question......what makes you think you can teach, with no degree in Education, no student teaching......just sayin'
I think you meant to say that "raises the question". "Begging the question" is a form of logical fallacy in which a statement or claim is assumed to be true without evidence other than the statement or claim itself. When one begs the question, the initial assumption of a statement is treated as already proven without any logic to show why the statement is true in the first place. (i.e circular reasoning). But don't feel bad, I just learned that myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: