Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Salaries Rising with the New Requirements?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiThep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Are Salaries Rising with the New Requirements? Reply with quote

Are salaries rising since the new requirements were implemented? Or is it still 30,000 baht per month, take it or leave it?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 years ago and now Baht 30,000/Month...next 30 years Baht 30,000/Month...what will change is that you will see fewer and fewer native English speaking teachers teaching in the Land of Smiles and many more ASEAN (Non-Native) speaking EFL teachers primarily from the Philippines, China and India teaching here..and YES more Thais teaching English in government schools. Checkout Ajarn.com it seems Baht 30,000/Month i still the magic figure! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Are Salaries Rising with the New Requirements? Reply with quote

SiThep wrote:
Are salaries rising since the new requirements were implemented? Or is it still 30,000 baht per month, take it or leave it?

Since I actually stopped teaching in Thailand about 2 years ago, I wouldn't know for sure. But do you really think salaries are going to go up, or do you think that business will eventually go on as usual? They're not going to pay more for ESL education, especially when their educational system is a bottom of the barrel system anyway. Who in Thailand who has money, would want to throw more money into it?
roguegrafix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a rumour that salaries were going up to 50 K. Apparently it was on a web site but the page has been pulled down. I'll believe it when I see it though.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries going up in the Land of Smiles...yes for Thai teachers! Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that salaries wil be falling shortly for new EFL teachers in Thailand....I have spoken to several principals at Thai government schools who confirm this trend. They say that this is due do to the stricter visa requirements for native English speakers and that they (the Principals) will be hiring more non-native English speakers from the sub Indian continent as well as more Pinoys (overseas Filipino workers) to teach English. There of course will be opportunities for native English speakers to teach English...but expect a drop in salary to the Baht 25,000/Monthly average range. Benefits might include some housing outside of the Bangkok metropolitan area provided but this will be basic Thai style accomodation. This is an unfortunate sign of the times! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thai style accommodation? That means a big ugly tub of water that you pour over yourself to bath, and possibly a squat toilet. Not on that salary, sorry. I've said it before, the problem with Thai education is the Thai educational system. A backpacker with a high school degree could go a long ways, with a decent curriculum and reasonable supplies. Unfortunately when you have "promote Thai culture" incorporated into educational directives, things are not going to go well. At a higher up university demonstration school I was told to teach English related to gambling. My guess is some of the student's parents were wealthy from running rackets. The principle swore that the school only took the top students, "We turn many students away", probably not the ones that pay well.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also told by the principals that the standard starting salary for non-native speakers teaching English (Pinoys, Indians, Chinese etc) will be Baht 15,000 and they will also be provided with basic Thai style accomodation outside Bangkok. They are also required to have a Bachelors or Masters degree in teaching English. I have no idea how they can survive on this salary in/outside Bangkok. Again an extremely unfortunate sign of the changing EFL landscape in the Land of Smiles.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rumor mongering.

Facts:
bachelor's degree and one of: native speaker or TOEIC over 600.
good for 2 years.
complete a culture/ethics/language course = add 2 more years.

IF you want to stay longer than 4 years then licensure as a teacher will be required.

Licensure will require you to have a teacher certification/qualification (B.Ed, Dip.Ed, PGCE, M.Ed). In the past people were able to take the TCT's TKTests. Those tests were done away with and that path to licensure is no longer an option.

The days of the 30k tourist teacher working to extend their winters in the tropics are in their waning period.

Thai licensed NES teachers do get more than 30k. Depending on their qualifications they can find remuneration packages in the 40k+ range easily enough in most of the country and obtaining a proper work permit is easy enough to do.

Those with home country licensure and experience can expect 60-130k depending on the school, program and their teachable subjects.

Thai Licensed Pinoys and other NNES teachers get about 20-25k.

Unlicensed NES teachers with a valid provisional teachers permit will earn 30-35k. (not worth hiring - over paid and under qualified).

Unlicensed NNS teachers will get somewhere around 12-15k + a basic housing allowance.

adaruby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Just rumor mongering.

Facts:
good for 2 years.

IF you want to stay longer than 4 years then licensure as a teacher will be required.

Licensure will require you to have a teacher certification/qualification (B.Ed, Dip.Ed, PGCE, M.Ed). In the past people were able to take the TCT's TKTests. Those tests were done away with and that path to licensure is no longer an option.

The days of the 30k tourist teacher working to extend their winters in the tropics are in their waning period.

Thai licensed NES teachers do get more than 30k. Depending on their qualifications they can find remuneration packages in the 40k+ range easily enough in most of the country and obtaining a proper work permit is easy enough to do.

Those with home country licensure and experience can expect 60-130k depending on the school, program and their teachable subjects.

Unlicensed NES teachers with a valid provisional teachers permit will earn 30-35k. (not worth hiring - over paid and under qualified).

Unlicensed NNS teachers will get somewhere around 12-15k + a basic housing allowance.

Scaremongering, Suphanburi. You and I are both long enough in the tooth to know that there is too much money at stake for Thailand to really clean up the shitfest.

And, if I recall correctly, weren't foreign teachers in a similar position back in 2008?

There will always be a place at the front of the Thai classroom for a sandy haired farang with a cheeky smile and nice tie.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
suphanburi wrote:
Just rumor mongering.

Facts:
good for 2 years.

Scaremongering, Suphanburi. You and I are both long enough in the tooth to know that there is too much money at stake for Thailand to really clean up the shitfest.

And, if I recall correctly, weren't foreign teachers in a similar position back in 2008?

There will always be a place at the front of the Thai classroom for a sandy haired farang with a cheeky smile and nice tie.

And right on cue: http://www.thephuketnews.com/coup-leader-calls-for-immigration-to-relax-%E2%80%98out-in%E2%80%99-visa-clampdown-48007.php

According to the English subtitles of his speech, the general said he was concerned that the clampdown – whereby people doing out-in visas are required to prove they are genuine tourists, or be barred from entry – was affecting schools and the tourist industry.

“This is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved, as it can lead to a shortage of English teachers and guides,” he said.

Amazing Thailand! Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a shortage of English teachers and guides due to visa restrictions ....but a fall in EFL salaries in the Land of Smiles as more non-native English teachers from the integrated ASEAN region take our jobs. Expect starting salaries to fall soon to Baht 25,000/Month for native English speakers..at most public and private schools here....however you still might be lucky to get a free Thai lunch at your chosen school!!! Shocked
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
however you still might be lucky to get a free Thai lunch at your chosen school!!! Shocked

With the lunches they usually serve. the fringe benefit would add up to an additional $10 US per month. The lunches are small and crappy.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand there are other benefits in teaching at Thai public schools...such as becoming an expert in edutainment and learning to speak Thai! Also I heard the lunches are improving....there are more varieties of hot, spicy chillis available especially for Papaya salad and Tom Yang Kung. Enjoy the fringe benefits! Shocked Shocked
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="EFL Educator"]I can confirm that salaries wil be falling shortly for new EFL teachers in Thailand....I have spoken to several principals at Thai government schools who confirm this trend. They say that this is due do to the stricter visa requirements for native English speakers and that they (the Principals) will be hiring more non-native English speakers from the sub Indian continent as well as more Pinoys (overseas Filipino workers) to teach English. There of course will be opportunities for native English speakers to teach English...but expect a drop in salary to the [b]Baht 25,000/Monthly average range[/b]. Benefits might include some housing outside of the Bangkok metropolitan area provided but this will be basic Thai style accomodation. This is an unfortunate sign of the times! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes[/quote]

The majority are women, so I think you'll find the correct term is Pinay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: