Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitey looking for a teaching gig

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Whitey looking for a teaching gig Reply with quote

Yeap I am white and from Australia.

I am not having much luck securing a job in China, not yet anyway, so I thought Taiwan might be a good bet too. If you have any leads please PM me or I will PM you. Teaching is my profession, I have everything I need for job readiness. Smaller cities are fine, just as long as I can get good strong coffee. Thanks for your time.
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Whitey looking for a teaching gig Reply with quote

Elegantstatue wrote:
Yeap I am white and from Australia.

I am not having much luck securing a job in China, not yet anyway, so I thought Taiwan might be a good bet too. If you have any leads please PM me or I will PM you. Teaching is my profession, I have everything I need for job readiness. Smaller cities are fine, just as long as I can get good strong coffee. Thanks for your time.

It's a lot easier to secure a job in China than Taiwan, which leads me to ask what is it that you're struggling with in China?

Are your requirements high? You don't like the offers you've received? What exactly then we may be able to help more.

You said you have 'everything I need for job readiness', what does that mean?
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Shroob.
Agents are unwilling to provide me with contacts or referrals of past or present NE speakers that have used their services, or have found employment through their services. Or they won't provide photos or links to the schools, or there is a lack of transparency.

(Edit) I should have elaborated but I was busy before. By job readiness I mean I am qualified to enter and teach in a high school context. I have ample experience teaching high school upwards. In North Asia and Australia.

I also placed a job wanted ad on TEALIT and have had very little luck. And I placed an ad on Dave's jobs wanted page. I got more replies for teaching in China, as usual, and once again I got agents reply...duh!

I am not going to elaborate on my teaching qualifications, I certainly meet IB school criteria to teach in that context or any other high school context on the planet. Last time I explained my teaching qualifications details on Formosa.com, I got a reply from a nasty piece of faeces, for no apparent reason other than he was just a nasty bloody stool. Perhaps he was having a bad day and did not appreciate my eloquent writing prose....:/

What more would you like to know Shroob?
ncaraway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elegantstatue wrote:
@Shroob.
Agents are unwilling to provide me with contacts or referrals of past or present NE speakers that have used their services, or have found employment through their services. Or they won't provide photos or links to the schools, or there is a lack of transparency.

(Edit) I should have elaborated but I was busy before. By job readiness I mean I am qualified to enter and teach in a high school context. I have ample experience teaching high school upwards. In North Asia and Australia.

I also placed a job wanted ad on TEALIT and have had very little luck. And I placed an ad on Dave's jobs wanted page. I got more replies for teaching in China, as usual, and once again I got agents reply...duh!

I am not going to elaborate on my teaching qualifications, I certainly meet IB school criteria to teach in that context or any other high school context on the planet. Last time I explained my teaching qualifications details on Formosa.com, I got a reply from a nasty piece of faeces, for no apparent reason other than he was just a nasty bloody stool. Perhaps he was having a bad day and did not appreciate my eloquent writing prose....:/

What more would you like to know Shroob?

The fact that you were denied the contact info of current/past foreign teachers is a red flag, you did well to avoid.

I'm just surprised that you didn't find a job you liked in China, there are lots of opportunities for well qualified/experienced people, which you appear to be (if you have a teaching license such as QTS in the UK).

Recruiters in general don't have the greatest reputation.

If it's high schools you're looking for, for someone of your qualifications you should be looking at well paying international / private schools. Though the demand depends very much on the subject - maths/science is highly desirable. History, geography...less so. If you could teach a science/maths course I'd be looking for at least 18,000/month depending on the city and other benefits.

Try looking on seriousteachers.com. I had some luck with them.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the difficulty with China would be the enormous salary offered. Which job would I choose? One job 700 US another 800 US, its a difficult choice, you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: