Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you teach in Indonesia without a BA in education?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
Incidentally, someone's just posted on the expat forum that another imminent regulation is that national plus schools will no longer be able to employ expat teachers. Whether that'll actually happen or not is another matter but these are uncertain times in Indonesia at the moment.

That's terrible news if it's true. A lot of expats with Indonesian spouses work at National Plus schools and it will cause a lot of disruption to their lives. But DIKNAS will continue to bulldoze on with their arbitrary, ill-informed decision-making, making it much harder for Indonesia to gain the language skills it needs to really emerge as a major economy. Businesses are crying out for locals with strong English skills and DIKNAS is a serious obstacle. This is another lose-lose situation which DIKNAS seems to be engineering.

Just to make the point how useless their priorities are, there was a report last year which suggested that in the public system in Indonesia graft is eating up around 40% of all the money. Unsurprisingly, the system rates very poorly on international ratings. Despite running an appalling public system which is failing Indonesian children, DIKNAS thinks it is well-placed to dictate to the private sector too. What a shame they don't have any idea about quality education.
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Filipino Teachers Reply with quote

Actually in Indonesia, Filipino teachers are already hired in many Nat-Plus/ International Schools but only in theory as Mathematics or Science teachers, although many do unofficially teach English. Basically, Indonesia does not recognize Filipino's as native English speakers, but as 2nd language English speakers.

According to recent OECD, and ASEAN reports on the quality of English in Asia, its actually South Koreans, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indians who have a much better understanding of English language than in the Philippines, and I read somewhere the Government in the Philippines, were blaming this on their best English speaking teachers opting to work abroad for more money.

I had the chance to work with Filipino teachers in the past and found the 'hard working' factor an illusion in many cases.

Filipinos do have a culture of arriving to work early, and leaving late, but in many cases I saw teachers being "busy" on Facebook or Skype, rather than working. This apparently was because they preferred to save money by using the school internet and facilities, rather than having to pay for the extra cost at home.

School owners wouldn't notice this, but both the Chinese, and local Indonesian teachers often remarked about this habit to me, saying they shouldn't be expected to stay on at school, as they can access Facebook etc from home.

Also Filipino teachers on the whole, despite their level of English are seen as non-native teachers of English by their students/parents, and reasonable Indonesian teachers have just as good language skills in my own opinion, especially if they have studied overseas.

Giving 'presents' to the teacher is also prevalent in Filipino culture, which means one student may get better examination results than another, depending on the 'gift.' I did hear about this occurring in a few schools that hired Filipino teachers, in the area I lived in.

Filipino's will work for less money than a western teacher, but other teachers from the home country really seem to dislike their presence, and in one of the schools I knew, the Indonesian, and Chinese teachers, as well as many parents would always be in conflict with them.

I agree they can be a cheaper option on the salary scale, but most Filipino teachers are savers, which means it hurts the local economy, because the vast majority of their salary is set back to the Philippines, when the salary of Indian, and native English teachers is usually spent in the country they work in.

I can imagine if only working in a country is because of being able to send more money home, rather than wanting to learn more about the local culture, and country, it would affect the way they interact with the students/ and local people, and isolate them from the local people.

I wouldn't be overly worried about a possible influx of Filipino teachers, especially as they are considered non- native speaking teachers in Indonesia, and technically are unable by law to teach English, at this time.

Last edited by markustm on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Filipino Teachers Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
I wouldn't be overly worried about a possible influx of Filipino teachers, especially as they are considered non- native speaking teachers in Indonesia, and break the lawif they teach English as a first language.

I agree with most of the comments about how Filipino teachers are perceived in Indonesia. At one school I worked at the parents were quite explicit in their demands that they didn't like Filipino or Indian teachers. I can see that many parents / customers won't be too keen on Filipino teachers.

On the other hand, you would think that Filipinos should be able to employed as English teachers in Indonesia under the ASEAN common market. What does a "free movement of labour" agreement mean if they aren't free to work as English teachers in Indonesia? Surely they should be entitled to apply for local positions, or the common market is meaningless.

I guess time will tell, and there could well be a lot of back-peddling on the issue, but free movement of labour "EU style" should mean that Filipinos can apply for Indonesian teaching jobs whether they are Native English speakers or not. That is certainly how it is being interpreted elsewhere in S.E.Asia, notably Thailand.

But this is also, to a degree, a tangent. My original point was that it is no coincidence that Thailand / Indonesia / Vietnam are all tightening up on visa regulations simultaneously. EFL Educator, who regularly follows all the countries, has spotted the pattern too. ASEAN will create a common market in 2015, and they are tightening up their foreign labour regulations in preparation.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
markustm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: ASEAN Freedom of Labor Movement, the Effects? Reply with quote

I agree with Bradley Cooper here, it may depend on the interpretation on what the "Free Movement of Labor," means.

In the case of the EU, some countries abide by the rules, whilst others ignore them, with the effect you see today in many EU Countries, with poorer countries exporting labor to the so-called "richer" countries, and in turn hiring non- EU nationals to replace any labor shortages in their own countries.

It be interesting to see the flow of labor from,and to Indonesia, after 2015.

In most of the EU, schools still have a distinction between "native" and non-native teachers, except this can shut out non- EU nationals in some cases, like teachers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the US.

But it still means most schools across the EU prefer to hire English teachers from the UK, just as they prefer German language teachers from Germany or Spanish language teachers from Spain.

Indonesian schools , like Bradley Cooper says may have to accept applications for teachers from ASEAN countries, which in turn could prove cheaper than native" speaking teachers, particularly when it comes to the savings made on the initial cost of the work visa. This could become the deciding factor on hiring someone.

At the moment its 'all in the wind," on what really happens, but looking at recent visa changes in many ASEAN countries, this could really change the ESL industry in the region.

mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tudor wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
Visa crackdowns are happening everywhere in SE Asia....Indonesia will be no exception as is a member of ASEAN....unfortunately EFL teachers are not exempted from this happening..native English speakers will be targeted soon.. Shocked

Indeed they are. I can't speak for anywhere else but the problem in Indonesia is that due to corruption and cronyism - as well as a blatant lack of transparency and a dearth of accountability - there isn't a level playing field. Meeting this week's set of regulations doesn't mean you'll get a work visa while not meeting them means you might. It's impossible for anyone to know where they stand or where they might be standing in the coming months and years. The joys of working in a developing country!

My department (Elementary) of my school is currently trying to bring in at least four foreign teachers who have signed contracts: one is a Filipina teacher with several years tenure at the school who just went back to Philippines on summer break and seems to be having difficulty coming back. Another is a new-hire Filipina, and the two remaining are Chinese (PRC) nationals. There may be other similar situations in JH /SH department, I haven't heard but strongly imagine it to be the case.

We are already a good month into the new academic year now, and it seems doubtful whether they will be able to come anytime soon ... so there are definitely already significant problems here for foreign teachers getting greenlighted for work.

For the Pinoy teachers, that may change considerably under the ASEAN agreement in the near future, as indicated in other posts ... we shall see.

I am one of the "expats married to Indonesian spouses and teaching in a Nat Plus school", as mentioned by BC, but I am planning nevertheless to leave Indonesia (not permanently, but possibly for several years, other than brief visits to my wife's hometown at Lebaran or other times) after my current contract is up in July of 2015.

This is a plan I have had long before a lot of this current brouhaha got churned up with the JIS scandal, etc, and is based at least as much on external factors as on internal ones here in RI. We plan to spend our retirement years in a house my wife will inherit from her parents, and considering my current age I have a window of about ten years, + /-, of working time left as an EFL teacher. Whether there will be any employment market left open to me when we decide to come back to stay or not is certainly in question, but basically I am trying to arrange things as best I can so that it will not be a necessity. If I were to try to stay, it might be that the new regulations would eventually, and maybe sooner than later, squeeze me out anyway. It is surely looking that way at present, and that makes me think it's just as well that I've already made plans to pursue employment - and life, for awhile - elsewhere.

Last edited by mysterytrain on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

likwid_777 wrote:
Yes, as far as teaching overseas as a Westerner goes, better get in quick. Your average Filipino who is competent with English will work for less, and feed his/her whole family with the money. We Westerners will barely be able to afford our decadence, and whine about the salary. Endangered species indeed...

It remains to be seen whether, or to what extent, the market for "true native speakers" will go dry. I think it is extremely unlikely that it would do so completely or anything near completely, as the desire among paying customers to see a "Western", "true native speaker" face (I am not going to bring in race or skin color, other than to say there is no doubt and it is beyond denial that it plays in to a quite significant degree) is not going to go away, or at least not quietly, but it may be true that cheaper sources of labor combined with more xenophobic policies towards Westerners / non-Asians (tying in with your remark about decadence, perhaps) will result in a significant "changing of the guard".

I agree with the second sentence of your post, no doubt about that one either. Filipinos teaching in countries around ASEAN and elsewhere in Asia is a fact of life which is not going to go away, and is certainly not new either. In four years plus of teaching I have found them in remote northwest China, in Indonesia, everywhere I have gone as a teacher except for Turkey (and there could be some there too for all I know). For the most part, I personally have absolutely no problem with that, other than feeling that many of them are getting a very unfair deal and the short end of the stick in terms of salary for the job they are doing, but that is "market forces at work", same as it is for the local Indonesian teachers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: