Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enlightenment on the visitor Visa please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
misterno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:12 pm    Post subject: Enlightenment on the visitor Visa please Reply with quote

I'm leaving from Montreal to Tainan in a few weeks from now, and I am just about to apply for my visitor Visa. But before I do, I am hoping for some enlightenment on it.

What exactly is the difference between the single entry and the multiple entry? I know one is valid for longer than the other, but apart from that?

I have heard that one can renew the multiple entry visitor visa WITHOUT having to leave the island by applying at a country police headquarters. Is this true? Does it work for the single entry visa also? If not, which one is it? That's the one I want to get.

Oh, and, any cases of SARS in Tainan County? (I can't find anything on this, so I guess all's clear...)

misterno.
angelina

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the entry visitor visa it will be valid for ninety days from when you receive it. However, it will only be valid for sixty "in country" days (extra thirty days to allow advance purchase and flight stuff). You are most likely to get a single entry visa as you have to provide compelling reasons for why you need multipe entry visa and this means if you don't have your ARC before sixty days (after you arrive) is up you get to do a visa run. If you can get a multiple entry visa I believe you can have your stay extended for sixty more days 2 times (total 180 days) without leaving the country. I'm not an expert but from all the people I've talked to and stuff I've read I believe this is correct. Good luck!
EOD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple entry is the way to go if you can get it. It allows you to come and go freely without any visa hassles. The down side is you cannot legally work under this type of visa. However you are not required to pay taxes on any income you may receive under this visa if you do not stay in Taiwan for more than 90 days. They can be easy to get in some places and near impossible in others. These visas are not given to teachers at any level. They are intended for business oriented tourist.
Single entry is the probably the worst you can do outside of a landing visa. Extensions are difficult and it cannot be used for more than one entry.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teco makes you play their little games. When applying for their 60 day multiple entry visa, you should never-- at any stage of the process-- tell them that you intend to teach English in Taiwan. Make up any excuse, business or Tourism. Whatever. It makes no difference to them or you. Don't think they are actually fooled by it, however. They aren't. They still want you to play the game, all the same. Present them with a travel itinerary, complete with a pre-booked return ticket out of Taiwan (one you can cancel when you arrive) and you'll be set. Don't delude yourself into thinking you've fooled them with your businessman charade when you get your precious visa; you haven't. They know damned well you intend to teach English in Taiwan. They still expect you to play the game, however. There are lots of little games in Taiwan.
Jojo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Misterno and Company,

I've been told by someone already teaching in Taiwan who is from Canada, that you can get a six month extendable visa at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. The catch (same as the multiple entry visa) that you cannot say you are going to teach English in Taiwan.

EOD: Is this the same as a multiple entry visa? If it is not, what is the difference?

Can anyone enlighten me(and Misterno) in this area?

Thanks,
Jojo
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jojo wrote:
I've been told by someone already teaching in Taiwan who is from Canada, that you can get a six month extendable visa at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office. The catch (same as the multiple entry visa) that you cannot say you are going to teach English in Taiwan.

As far as I know there is no six month extendable visa. What you are probably thinking of is a 60-day extendable visitors visa. Once you are in Taiwan this can be extended to allow you to stay in Taiwan for up to six months. However, you must have a good reason to extend the visa. It is usually for people enrolled in Chinese classes. Teaching illegally is not going to get you a visa extension. If you are teaching legally you will apply for an ARC so you won't need a visa extension.
IamtheWalrus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information, I just looked at the TECO site and it appears you need detailed information about your trip to get the visa...and for a business visa you need official letters...

So when going for the 60 day, extendable visitor visa, you need a round trip ticket right? I believe it states this. So how easy is it to cancel the return trip of a roundtrip ticket? I have never done this and not quite sure if all tickets allow this or only special tickets...what shoul di look for in booking roundtrip ticket?

Speaking of, does anyone have a good contact for cheap seats to taipei from the USA? Any help is always appreciated!
Jojo

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAMTHEWALRUS: what is the address for the TECO site please? I don't know about in the states but, in talking to my travel agent, you can book a open return ticket. Basically this means you can return anytime within the year. It looks to me that the difference between the one way and return ticket is only about $300. I'm not sure about US prices.
If you plan on staying longer than a year then you lose that money. Although, upon getting a job in Taiwan, your employer may reinburse you for the return airfare back upon completion of a contract.

Hope this helps.
Jojo

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice TB!! You are a walking resource Very Happy
EOD

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jojo,
It sounds to me like you are being given inaccurate information. Your friend either has a multiple entry visa that is extendable for up to six months or a visa given to overseas Chinese joining family.
Neither of these visa are given to foreign English teachers.
IamtheWalrus

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website for TECRO, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, which issues Visas to Taiwan from the US is: WWW.TECRO.ORG

There you will find the links to local TECO's around the US.

Hope this helps.
I have read that some people book roundtrip tickets and then cancel the return...does this mean they get a refund?
EOD

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the ticket. Usually tickets bought in the US and Canada fall under the laws regulating ticket refunds even if you refund them here. The ticket must clearly state that it is fully refundable. Tickets bought in Taiwan are rarely refunded even if it states it on the ticket. The laws here in Taiwan protecting consumers are weak to non existent. Don't buy refundable tickets in Taiwan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: