Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sarasas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weshh1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Sarasas Reply with quote

Hey,

Has anyone worked for this chain of schools (Sarasas)? If so, how was your experience?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Sarasas schools are one of the best places to teach English in Bangkok. Salaries and benefits are excellent and they also gve you a free lunch. Very Happy
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarasas is considered above average in the quality of their education.

Last edited by plumpy nut on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:50 am; edited 2 times in total
weshh1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!!
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard absolutely dreadful things about their administration and the types of teachers they hire. Also you have do deal with a TON of BS (more so than most schools).

I interviewed at one and the vibe I got was very odd.
weshh1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting bansheebeat.... definitely good to know. I will certainly try to feel out the place before I jump into anything with them.

Could you be more specific on the extra BS that comes along with working at one of these schools?
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weshh1 wrote:
Hmmm, interesting bansheebeat.... definitely good to know. I will certainly try to feel out the place before I jump into anything with them.

Could you be more specific on the extra BS that comes along with working at one of these schools?

Whenever I interviewed at Sarasas I also asked for opinions on several other forums and the overwhelming response was "run away and don't consider them". If you do a bit of Googling you'll find the same answers I think.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be true for every single school in Thailand, unless of course you want to work in Thailand.

If I remember correctly Sarasas paid teachers a little bit monthly for downtime during the floods a few years back. My school did not.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarasas advertises for teachers on many EFL websites...they are better than most schools in Thailand. Many Thai schools want farang English teachers to behave, act and teach like Thais in the classroom...but Sarasas expects its native English speaking teachers to teach using different methodologies in teaching students...and they focus on student centred learning and professional development.. . Smile Smile
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a famous story of a teacher getting caned across the back of his legs during the morning assembly for not having his socks pulled up.

Other than that, they are not trustworthy......they are always hiring.......
They were on at least one Hall of Shame list.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a school that was considered in the middle as far as quality of teaching. I was repeatedly told or overheard that Sarasas was better. As far as being caned for not having his socks up, sounds dubious or else the person could go to the police.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Sarasas is increasing starting salaries for native speaking teachers...this is good news for newbies...while other Thai schools still offer the same salary package they offered 30 + years ago. Smile Smile
weshh1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
I understand Sarasas is increasing starting salaries for native speaking teachers...this is good news for newbies...while other Thai schools still offer the same salary package they offered 30 + years ago. Smile Smile

Great! Do you know how much?
flow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarasas is one of the worst schools to work for in Thailand. They pay below average and work conditions are slave-like. They don't give a hoot about children's education, for them it's all about the bottom line. They turn off airconditioners in the offices during marking time and have teachers sit in the canteen in the heat so that they can save a few more bucks. They treat foreigners and Thais alike with a great degree of disrespect. No aircon in classrooms either and it's a harsh 24 period schedule you'll get working for them. Avoid especially Sarasas Romklao. My two cents.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard more bad than good about Sarasas. If they are constantly hiring teachers, they cant be that good. Im sure some are better than others. Its a chain private school i think so while there are all under the same umbrella, different admins will bring different conditions. Mid range schools at best and probably a decent place for someone new to teaching in Thailand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: