Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Topic: Marriage Doc. Requirements for US Citizen-Peruana

View previous topic :: View next topic  
motarjim1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Off Topic: Marriage Doc. Requirements for US Citizen-Peruana Reply with quote

I know this has nothing to do with employment, but figured I'd ask anyways.

I am an American and I plan on marrying a Peruvian national in the District of Lurin (South Lima) next month. My question relates to the birth certificate and the certificado de solteria requirements .

It is my understanding (according to the US Embassy to Peru website) that once I arrive to Lima, Peru, I may take my original birth certificate and certificado de solteria to the US Embassy where I can have both items notarized. The second and final step (for legal validity in Peru) is to have both items legalized by local Peruvian authorities and translated to Spanish by a certified translator. Is this correct ?

I have read contrasting reports from the blogosphere regarding this, some blogs stating that Americans also need both items notarized by the Peruvian consulates/embassy to the United States;others stating that this additional step isn't necessary. I am currently employed and residing in Saudi Arabia so having to get these items notarized by the Peruvian consulates/embassy to the US will be a major pain in the ***.

Maybe my fellow English instructors can give me the low-down in this regard.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peru joined The Hague agreement a couple years ago. If you're docs are from a Hague agreement country then you just need the. Apostillised. The. Once in Peru to to Lima and get the translator to translate them and legalize the translation. Has to be done by an official translator.

As far as notaristion you're kind of right. The embassy can do that. But only for certain states. It's about half. I'd get it done in the USA. Califrnia wasn't on the list. Each state has different rules to whether or not they allow embassies to do it. For marriage and birth and divorce docs they do t Notarise them. They apostillise them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: