Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tefl required?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrWright

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Tefl required? Reply with quote

So I'm in thailand now. Not teaching, just finishing my first tourist visa and my holiday. Time to find a job. My quals are a BA in secondary ed/history, teaching license for arizona, 7 years public high school experience, subject endorsements in english immersion, history, general science and biology. I'm just looking to teach english. I'm doing the ittt online tefl certificate now. But as I'm looking at jobs most seem to want a major, in person tefl. Do I need one, despite my other qualifications? Thoughts?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I know a lot of North Americans like you who came here for a holiday with a tourist visa and who also want to teach English in the land of Smiles. You don't need a TEFL certificate to teach English here..what you need is to study edutainment before entering the classroom here. You a must be funny, a comedian actor and make Thai students laugh and be happy in the classroom. Being a licensed U.S. teacher will help...but remember not to be a serious teacher here if you want to keep your job. The main qualification for teaching here is a Bachelors degree in any field...and a BIG SMILE. Also you can apply to international schools as you have a teaching license but remember you will be competing with thousands of westerners for the same position. Good luck! Smile Smile Smile
MrWright

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely edutain!! Haha! And I'm very smiley!! Might be a good fit.
MrWright

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of any reputable and effective recruitment agencies? I know it's not necessary, but might be worth avoiding the headache. Not sure.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tefl required? Reply with quote

MrWright wrote:
So I'm in thailand now. Not teaching, just finishing my first tourist visa and my holiday. Time to find a job. My quals are a BA in secondary ed/history, teaching license for arizona, 7 years public high school experience, subject endorsements in english immersion, history, general science and biology. I'm just looking to teach english. I'm doing the ittt online tefl certificate now. But as I'm looking at jobs most seem to want a major, in person tefl. Do I need one, despite my other qualifications? Thoughts?

The requirement for a visa and work permit is a degree.

The requirement for a teacher's license (sometime in the future if you decide to stay) is a degree in education.

While a TEFL cert or TEFL endorsement may be desirable it is NOT a requirement for work as a teacher in Thailand. Most employers don't care if you are already a licensed teacher.

EmilyPlays

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I was under the impression that the visa rules had recently changed and that now a TEFL certificate was a mandatory requirement, together with a Bachelors degree (in any subject).

Emily.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the visa rules are constantly changing....you are now required to have a TEFL certificate if you wish to teach English legally in the Land of Smiles. Good luck!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIAR.

A TEFL certificate is NOT a requirement to legally work as a teacher in Thailand.
The vast majority of employers don't care. All they want is a white face (a salable commodity) who can get legal (have the correct paperwork in hand).

To be legal (defined as having a non-b visa and a work permit) to work as an English Teacher you need:
- bachelor degree in any area.
and one of:
- passport from an anglophone country (UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, NZ, AUS)
OR
- TOEIC score over 600. (an IELTS or TOEFL are also acceptable).

Be VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING AN AGENCY. Reputable and agency are an oxymoron.

bansheebeat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL is not required. I don't have one (though I did have experience teaching which is definitely an advantage when applying).

What is required:
- degree
- pulse
- ability to deal with w/e is thrown at you

What is preferred:
- young
- attractive
- reliable
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

preferred continued:

good edutainer

knowing the ins and outs of students who won't tolerate any challenge or difficulty.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what is required is a lot more than that.

And that is why you need to make sure that the school you work for knows what to do and how to get visas and work permits sorted OR use a reputable placement company/recruiter. One of the biggest benefits to using a good recruitment/placement company is that any company worthwhile will be able to easily sort out the paperwork issues to working legally in Thailand. Its near impossible to do on your own and if your school doesn't know or care, you are at their mercy.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what is required is a lot more than that.

And that is why you need to make sure that the school you work for knows what to do and how to get visas and work permits sorted OR use a reputable placement company/recruiter. One of the biggest benefits to using a good recruitment/placement company is that any company worthwhile will be able to easily sort out the paperwork issues to working legally in Thailand. Its near impossible to do on your own and if your school doesn't know or care, you are at their mercy.

A TEFL certificate is not currently required to teach in Thailand legally; however, more and more schools and employers are asking for one (120 hours + 6 hours practice is usually industry standard). If you have no experience at all, a quality TEFL course can be very helpful for your first year in teaching EFL. There have been rumblings in the past about making it a requirement but nothing has materialized yet.
MNguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AYC wasn't bad as far as recruiters go; pay on time, set up bank account, help with visa and housing. Pay is garbage, about 35k baht, but overall, not horrible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: