Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Way to Request 3 Months Contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebooktrial0001

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Any Way to Request 3 Months Contract? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

Instead of a year contract, I'd like to request it be cut down to three months with the following terms:

a. I'll pay for my own plane flight
b. The possibility is open for renewal if both sides get along well.
c. No matter what, each side will promise to give each other side good reviews.

I'm getting plenty of variety around the world; I feel it's helping me develop immensely, I'd like to continue to do so in an appropriate, professional way.

Here's why I ask that:

I just came back from Libya and before that Turkey. At the Libya job, I was forced to evacuate after three months; at the Turkey job before that, I got laid off simply because of budget issues. (I promise, these are real reasons, as I got excellent recommendation letters).

I love all the variety I'm getting and don't like to feel "trapped" in one year long contracts.

Is there any way I could humbly ask for this?

Thanks
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show up and apply. All they can say is yes or no.
If they say yes then you have what you want.
If they say no then move on to the next shop and apply again.

From an employer's perspective, unless it is a small place working from hand to mouth (as far to many language schools are), I wouldn't take a short term teacher. It is too hard to plan out the term or year if you don't know who you have available.

Also, tourist teachers are 10p a dozen. It's not like they have anything special to offer. usually, it is not worth even replying to their e-mails if they are not already local and ready to work. They flit around like flies on a dung heap.

Last edited by suphanburi on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really in Europe anywhere except for summer camp gigs. 3 months isn't even enough time to get to know a class and what they need. No employer would bother, frankly. I expect this will be true most places; if 'I' need a teacher for an academic year, why mess about with someone who wants to be 'here' only 3 months when there are candidates who will commit for the full time? It is just a headache.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Plus, what's the benefit to the employer? Why should they invest in someone who only wants to commit to short-term work?
Tudor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try "Westgate Corporation" in Japan, they offer three month contracts.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really depends on visa hurdles. Few employers will be prepared to invest the time and expense of this for a teacher who'll just be around for three months.

A year really isn't that much to commit to. At least for me, there isn't enough time to feel 'trapped'.
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that the Reed employment agency in the UK has been advertising 4 month TEFL placements in Sichuan in China. The next intake will be in February 2015.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: