Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

college/uni jobs (or jobs teaching adults)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: college/uni jobs (or jobs teaching adults) Reply with quote

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to secure a teaching job in thailand where i DONT have to teach children. thanks
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: lots of options, call today!! Reply with quote

There are numerous university/college teaching jobs for native speakers throughout Thailand. Most of them don't pay very well, but the teaching hours are low [around 15/wk].

The Thai academic year starts around the beginning of June. You should start contacting institutes now, but be aware that the Thai New Year is a big holiday in mid-April.
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of corporate opportunities here for those, (like me), who prefer to teach adults.

However corporate teachers often go through agencies to secure their teachers. (That's why they pay an arm and a leg!)

Many agencies advertise through the free jobs board on various forums. I would check out the jobs page there right now, as (as Sigmoid quite correctly states) now and for the next few weeks is the best time for getting work.

Corportate clients, more than schools, look for experience and appearance. If you are new to teachingin Thailand then you may be out of your depth with the politics associated with corporate work. There is a tight-rope of diplomacy here!

The answers to the most seemingly inane questions can get you in a heap of trouble! The up-side is that corporat work is NOT seasonal, and is more likely based on when their financial year starts or ends! Also with corporate work you don't need to know a lick of Thai. Infact it is frowned on if you do speak it...

Get on over here and change your lie...
dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: thanks for the info Reply with quote

Sigmoid and Mark
thanks for the feedback. do you recommend turning up without a job, or is it best to secure employment before arrival (ive been to bangkok a couple of times so i wouldnt be totally out of my element re: finding a place to stay, feeding myself, etc). also: what is a decent salary to live on there? can you save? how many hours do you guys typically work? so many questions.... thanks again and i hope to hear back from you. and mark, youre absolutely correct: i do need to get over there and change my life. i picked up and went to china for two years and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. now im in the states, and bored in graduate school. i need a good dose of something completely foreign. best, dan
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: more info Reply with quote

Dan -

I would say just turn up without a job, but contact places and have some idea where you want to schedule interviews before you get here.

Universities pay 25,000 baht and up/month. That's OK to live off of, but you'll need to supplement that if you want to save a little.

Like I said, at a university you teach 12 - 15 hours/week, but your salary is monthly regardless of time spent in the classroom.

The first semester starts next month so you should plan to come soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: