Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid-life career change to ESL teacher in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post an update.

I've booked my flight to Guatemala for my spanish studies, I'll arrive in Guatemala on September 6 and expect to be there learning spanish through the end of October.

Downsizing to one suitcase is an adventure in itself. I'm so glad that I'd already downsized from a 3 bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment a few years ago.

My family and co-workers are all supportive of my career change.

Fortunately for me I have no outstanding debts to worry about and excellent credit. I've got my finances lined up so I won't be panicking about housing and feeding myself while I'm studying and then searching for a job.

And I bought travel insurance and have all the books I'll need for the CELTA.

I'm ready to go!!
LifterMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note, when you leave the airport in Guatemala don't let the cabbies rip you off, they are known for this. Do not pay more than 5 USD to go to the bus station. I usually take Linea Dorada bus to Xela and it costs around 5-6 bucks, do not let them rip you off either. If you take a chicken bus, watch your bags AT ALL TIMES and keep your wallet in front pocket. You will enjoy Xela it's amazing and surrounded by volcanoes. Good luck out there, this is a great field to be in. When you get to Mexico be sure to check out computrabajo and teachers Latin America websites, there are many jobs on those for D.F.
Jultime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LifterMan wrote:
Just a note, when you leave the airport in Guatemala don't let the cabbies rip you off, they are known for this. Do not pay more than 5 USD to go to the bus station. I usually take Linea Dorada bus to Xela and it costs around 5-6 bucks, do not let them rip you off either. If you take a chicken bus, watch your bags AT ALL TIMES and keep your wallet in front pocket. You will enjoy Xela it's amazing and surrounded by volcanoes. Good luck out there, this is a great field to be in. When you get to Mexico be sure to check out computrabajo and teachers Latin America websites, there are many jobs on those for D.F.

THanks for your advice.

I arrive late into Guatemala City so I'll be met by a driver and stay overnight at a hotel then catch the Linea Dorada bus to Xela in the morning.

I've booked myself into another spanish immersion program for a week in Oaxaca perfectly timed for La Dia de los Muertos.
Higo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime, this sounds so exciting! As a person who has been toying with a career change for years now, I find your journey especially inspiring! Please keep us posted, here!
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I'm now in Quetzeltenango, Guatemala attending spanish school.

My life is now totally immersed in spanish and latin American culture. I'm in spanish class for 5 hours a day and then spend close to 3 hours a day studying. Quetzeltenango is a good place to learn spanish as there is no choice here but to speak Spanish. Pretty well nobody here speaks english.

I'm living with a local family, a mother with 2 children. So of course I am forced to speak spanish there. I was really happy yesterday to find a couple of people to have entire english conversations with.

And I have noticed a definite improvement in my spanish since I got here.

I'm here until almost the end of October.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Update: I'm now in Quetzeltenango, Guatemala attending spanish school . . . I'm here until almost the end of October.

Thanks for the update, Jultime! It sounds like you're having fun and learning a lot. I'll look forward to hearing about what comes next. Good luck!
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time here in Quetzeltenango is almost up. I have learned a lot of spanish and feel comfortable communicating although my spanish is of course at the beginner level.

Xela (Quetzeltenango) is great for learning spanish. The schools and accomodations are inexpensive plus pretty well nobody in the the city speaks english.

I am off to Huatulco for 5 days then on to Oaxaca for la dia de los muertes and another week or so of spanish.

I will have to start my CELTA pre-course task while I am in Oaxaca. I must say that being a spanish language student has taught me some good insights into language teaching and aquisition.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go, Jultime! It sounds like your month has been much more productive than mine Smile
mtiz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all great news, please keep updating. I've signed up for the IH Celta in Mexico City in January and would love to hear more about your experiences Very Happy
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
This is all great news, please keep updating. I've signed up for the IH Celta in Mexico City in January and would love to hear more about your experiences Very Happy

Very exciting! Hopefully, we'll be able to hear more about your experiences as well, mtiz.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now enjoying a mini vacation in Huatulco. I have my own room in a nice hotel with a tv, internet and hot water. Oh and lots of sunshine. I'm catching up on vitamin D and carne which was all lacking during my stay in Xela. I swear to God I must have eaten close to a dozen eggs a week in Xela.

I've been trying to practice my spanish but the people here want to practice their english.

Off to Oaxaca on Thursday for la dia de los muertes. I've signed up for more spanish instruction and the school I"m attending has lots of interesting educational activities planned this weekend.

I'm still waiting for IH Mexico to provide me with information on my accomodation in November. I need to plan my departure from Oaxaca.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
I've been trying to practice my spanish but the people here want to practice their english.

Definitely an all too familiar problem with touristy areas! Smile

Good luck as you transition into the next chapter of your journey.
Jultime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Oaxaca now for 10 days. I got here in time for la dia de los muertes and really enjoyed all of the festivities.

I'm staying with a family and studying more spanish.

I'm enjoying Oaxaca so much that I bought a return bus ticket from Mexico City. I found a nice, clean, rental studio apartment in the central historic district for an ok price. The owner is kind enough to hold the apartment for me until I return to Oaxaca.

I can't imagine living here without speaking spanish. I've only been studying spanish for 2 months and already I know enough spanish to get by day to day. I've managed to get a decent hair cut, get food, buy clothes, get directions and best of all I've made a few contacts with people who want to learn english when I get back from taking the CELTA in Mexico City.

Did I mention how good the food is in Oaxaca?
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:

Did I mention how good the food is in Oaxaca?

No need to mention it, we all already knew that!

Glad you are having such a good time.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
. . . and best of all I've made a few contacts with people who want to learn English when I get back from taking the CELTA in Mexico City.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures, Jultime! Are you planning to mostly do private tutoring in Oaxaca when you finish the CELTA? Or will that just supplement a job at a local language school?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: