Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

current job situation in PL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louisdf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
It's the work permit issue again. While it's not a difficult process, you need to be able to get the work permit issued (usually about 30 days), which leaves you about 60 days to actually find someone willing to offer you a work permit, and that's cutting it very fine.

In your case, you'd be best looking for a job anywhere in Poland, then using that year to try and find something in Warsaw full time.

Which schools offer full time contracts?I have only ever heard of big international schools giving out full time contracts (umowo o prace). Not only are the costs (ZUS, sick pay etc.) of hiring someone on a full-time contract too prohibitive for most regular private language schools but they would also have to pay people to do very little during the summer when classes dry up. Besides, from a teachers perspective would you always want to teach every Monday morning at 7AM and on Saturday morning? At least with being freelance, teachers have a degree of flexibility and are able to pick their holidays when it suits them. Whereas being on a full time contract your employer would dictate when you can have holidays.
I know someone who worked at Bell School (closed in Warsaw now, very bad school) on a full-time contract and they sometimes had classes starting at 7AM to 9:30AM in the far south of the city and from 5PM-8PM in the far north of the city. Plus the school would expect them to spend at least 5 hours in the school planning, and if other teachers called in sick they were expected to cover them with less than 2 hours notice. Be careful what you wish for!
scottie1113

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've posted many times before. that hasn't been my experience at Bell Gdansk. I'm starting my eighth year with them. Granted, it ain't in Warsaw, thank God.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: I say GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Brisket, here's a list of schools in Warsaw from last year: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102314&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=warsaw+schools I found this by using the search function on Dave's. Just search for "Warsaw schools" on the Polish forum. More comprehensive lists have been posted here in the past as well as recommendations and rankings.

You'll notice immediately that it's a long list. And this is why I'd recommend focusing your efforts on Warsaw. If you strike out at 10 schools one day, you can just move on down the list the next day. If you strike out at 10 schools in a smaller city, that may be all there are.

I came from Bangkok to Warsaw in 2009. As an American, it took me a couple weeks to find a school willing to help with the work permit. But once I found that, the going was easy. Officially, you may be required to get a work permit from every school, but in reality loads of people work for other schools as well.

You've got a degree and a CELTA, which should qualify you for most entry level jobs in Poland. Never mind where your CELTA was done; it should basically be the same experience around the globe. Did you get a Pass A or B, by any chance? This would definitely give you a leg up on anyone with just a standard Pass.

Anyway, as I've said before - give it a shot. I think you'll be fine. There are basically no kiwis in Poland so you may get hired as an oddity. Wink

It's common sense, but take a few thousand USD with you, just in case.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Good advice from Shake. Finding work won't be hard but being legal might be tricky.

I'm not really looking too hard and have landed 3 interviews in a week and been offered 10 hours of privates.

There's also an online teaching platform here if that floats your boat.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Good advice from Shake. Finding work won't be hard but being legal might be tricky.

I'm not really looking too hard and have landed 3 interviews in a week and been offered 10 hours of privates.

There's also an online teaching platform here if that floats your boat.

Getting an interview with experience is relatively easy. But many places only interview people who have experience, and they are often very up front about this in their advertisements. A quick look at gumtree confirms this:

http://www.gumtree.pl/cp-nauczyciele-i-edukacja/srodmiescie/english-teacher-wanted-611013623
http://www.gumtree.pl/cp-nauczyciele-i-edukacja/praga-polnoc/native-speaker-for-saturday-classes-with-children-once-a-month-610804560
http://www.gumtree.pl/cp-nauczyciele-i-edukacja/zoliborz/english-native-speaker-z-doswiadczeniem-i-kwalifikacjami-610798221
http://www.gumtree.pl/cp-nauczyciele-i-edukacja/mokotow/nauczyciel-do-przedszkola-english-speaking-preschool-teacher-610457830
http://www.gumtree.pl/cp-nauczyciele-i-edukacja/bialoleka/poszukiwany-native-speaker-jezyka-angielskiego-609227977

I have yet to see any job advert in Warsaw stating 'no experience required'. I would say that 90% of the interviews I have had, one of the first questions I have been asked is "Tell me about your experiences with Polish students" or "Tell me about your last lesson." The few places that did not ask me about experience were usually offering unattractive rates or/and had unreasonable contracts.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The thing you really have to worry about is the kind of contract they offer. Lots of 'em are into avoiding ZUS and taxes and dummy expats, hell-bent on a gal will sign anything.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

Oh and not one school I've interviewed with has even offered umowa o dzielo. It seems they all want you to go self-employed and invoice them. Lots of schools have had financial 'controls' and there's a court case apparently. One school even advised me to set up the company in the UK (fraudulent if you're actually working in Poland), to avoid paying tax by earning less than the UK minimum tax threshold, which was IH Bydgoszcz's business model in 96.

I'm sifting through the good, the bad and the ugly as we speak re offers.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: oh Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
Oh and not one school I've interviewed with has even offered umowa o dzielo. It seems they all want you to go self-employed and invoice them. Lots of schools have had financial 'controls' and there's a court case apparently. One school even advised me to set up the company in the UK (fraudulent if you're actually working in Poland), to avoid paying tax by earning less than the UK minimum tax threshold, which was IH Bydgoszcz's business model in 96.

I'm sifting through the good, the bad and the ugly as we speak re offers.

which is also better for you as well, as you can deduct costs from your taxes (ie. travel passes, printing, phone and internet bills etc.) But finding an account that charges less than 150zl a month isn't easy though.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

I spend 900/month on smokes Smile
Infinite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I say GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
Brisket, here's a list of schools in Warsaw from last year: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102314&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=warsaw+schools

It's an old list. I'm sure there are many more schools now, also, a lot of these are probably gone too.

STAY AWAY FROM LINGUA NOVA PIASECZNO, that's the only one I can honestly tell you to stay away from and the only school that I'd openly criticize. Lingua Nova in Warsaw is alright, there are few others that you might want to look into - Multilingua is fair game, good pay and straight forward people.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I say GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Infinite wrote:
Master Shake wrote:
Brisket, here's a list of schools in Warsaw from last year: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102314&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=warsaw+schools

It's an old list. I'm sure there are many more schools now, also, a lot of these are probably gone too.

STAY AWAY FROM LINGUA NOVA PIASECZNO, that's the only one I can honestly tell you to stay away from and the only school that I'd openly criticize. Lingua Nova in Warsaw is alright, there are few others that you might want to look into - Multilingua is fair game, good pay and straight forward people.

Yes LinguaNova is okay, but the rates are not impressive.
Cambridge School Of English usually never offers more than 45zl brutto/45 and doesn't pay until the 25th of the following month. They also often make teachers travel to the company to do a trial lesson for which they are NOT paid for. Other schools do offer trial lessons, but if the company signs up to the course then they have to pay for the trial lesson.
Janek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: It's not Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's not Reply with quote

Janek wrote:
I can't complain. Having my own business, I don't work for language schools and under no circumstances do I accept any middleman or agency in between. This makes a huge difference.

My rates: not less than 120 PLN/h for in-company-courses and trainings, up to 1200 PLN/45 min. for lectures and special workshops, not less than 200 PLN/h for voice-overs and recordings, 60-120 PLN/standard page for translations, up to 12000 PLN or participation in sales for coursebooks texts.

Monthly income changes all of the time, usually about 12500-15000 PLN a month before taxes.

In no way at all I am special, this is doable for everyone who stays in Poland for a couple of years. I personally know native speakers of English, French, Dutch and Russian who earn as much.

NOOOO WAAAYYY... haha.. you started it! LOL... this is the proverbial wrench right ^ there haha... Yes, anyone can earn whatever... but it takes work and a bit of brain tissue.
Infinite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: I say GO FOR IT Reply with quote

Louisdf wrote:

Yes LinguaNova is okay, but the rates are not impressive.

Agreed, but the work is steady, they stay out of your hair and still have the most impressive library in town.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Poznan Reply with quote

So, having had plenty of meetings, I can tell you the state of play in Poznan. Not 1 company I have spoken to offers umowa o dzielo. All of them want you to set up your own company. The tax you pay varies but the ZUS is about 300/month.

The hourly rates offered average 55Zl/hour Gross. A couple have offered in the 80Zl area but limited hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: