Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing USD to pesos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Changing USD to pesos Reply with quote

Which banks in DF give the best rate?
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat folklore says that the best rate is obtained by withdrawing from your own home bank account at a Mexican ATM (in pesos).

If you have cash to exchange, I think you can get the best rates in DF at the airport. There are dozens of exchange booths at Terminal 1, and you can walk up and down the row until you find the one with the best rate at the moment. There are also exchange booths at Terminal 2, but not as many.

Anyone knows different, please post.

Last edited by notamiss on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, unless you are thinking of banking the fruits of that bank heist you did, there isn't much in it.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Bancomer and when I withdrew money last Friday and got a rate of 13.38 per dollar from the ATM. When I checked today the rate was 13.60, so it does pay to check no only bank to bank but day to day. Not all banks do exchanges, and the ones that do will usually have it posted in from of the bank.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to be wary of, if your US bank doesn't have a reciprocal Mexican bank is the withdrawal fee. Although I'm British, I have a US-based Payoneer card (which is effectively a "virtual" Bank of America account). I was withdrawing from Santander simply because there is one a short walk from my home. Santander charges $31MXN, but I found out that Imbursa charges $17MXN.
I suppose what I said early about worrying about a few pesos kind of invalidates my argument, but I do get a certain pleasure from not giving the bank those extra $14!
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I have or want cash dollars I usually ask around and find someone who wants to buy or sell, then we split the difference of the posted buy and sell rates. This works well in smaller communities that have a higher percentage migrant population than the great big city does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: