Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Single parent teacher looking for work in Taiwan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
delal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Single parent teacher looking for work in Taiwan Reply with quote

Hi
I'm looking into moving to Taiwan.
I have a four yr degree, CELTA, experience in EFL/teaching English 1st language courses and doing curriculum catch up in middle school in an international school-will that be enough to get me a decent paying day job?
Plus-I'm a single parent and my son will need to go to primary school. Does anyone have any direct experience, as a parent, of the educational system? Basically:is it rote learning and exam-orientated?
Thanks in advance for any input/pointers
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Single parent teacher looking for work in Taiwan Reply with quote

delal wrote:
. . . a decent paying day job?

Huh?
delal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!
A job which would correspond to my kıd's schedule ie he would be at school) rather than a at language school which would mean afternoons/evenings/weekends which I couldn't logistically do)
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not Taiwan specific, a lengthy discussion in response to a similar inquiry recently took place on the China forum. I suspect that much of the general advice would apply to your situation as well.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108165&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not advice but a question. What made you choose Taiwan after living in Turkey for so long? I'm a single mom as well.
delal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: not sure Reply with quote

Thanks-will look on the Chına forum
Naturegırl, it's time for a change as so many changes are on the way in Turkey...
Plus it's out East and an island
Where are you?
delal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: forgot Reply with quote

I forgot that I also read the most recent OECD PISA report (for 2012)
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated as you move into this next chapter of your career. Sharing your experiences will help others who may follow in your footsteps later.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Seoul. Her father is in Lima. It's easier benign a single parent than with someone who doesn't help out.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I'm in Seoul. Her father is in Lima. It's easier benign a single parent than with someone who doesn't help out.

Hey naturegirl,

sorry to hear about that. I recall your posts when you were pregnant a few years ago.

I assume there was a falling out with your (ex?) husband after the baby was born, yeah? So he just refused to look after the child when you were working, is that what happened?

Any chance you two getting back together or is it final?

Is korea a single-parent friendly TEFL destination?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Hey naturegirl,

sorry to hear about that. I recall your posts when you were pregnant a few years ago.

I assume there was a falling out with your (ex?) husband after the baby was born, yeah? So he just refused to look after the child when you were working, is that what happened?

The falling out happened while I was pregnant and the shock caused me to go into early labor. He cheated. Had a whole other life. Lots of lies. We tried counseling. Then when my daughter was a couple months old the other woman found out she was pregnant meaning that he had t ended it when my daughter was born.

He wanted a divorce at first and to go with her to England. He was chasing a visa. By the time he decided he didn't want a divorce I had given up and realized we had way too many problems: relationship, money, work, etc. He watched her while I was at work until she was 19 months old, grudgingly. Now I'm starting to think he wanted a ticket to the USA all along due to the things he's told me.

Korea is pretty easy if you have young kids. There are a decent number of good FB groups out there that really help. As for the future I really don't know what will happen. For single parents it can be harder. All the single parents I know we're here first and became single parents later. Actually, I take that back. I know one mom who came here right after a divorce but she's in an international school. I also know a mom with an older kid. I think he was 16 when they came. He was old enough to study online. Being a single parent is hard anywhere. Outside your own country you have to deal with more challenges like finding daycare or not speaking the language or dealing with people who don't know the rules about foreign families.

He left Korea in May 2013 and has been back once for ten days.
delal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Good for you Reply with quote

naturegirl we are actually in a similar situation!
Thank you for your honest posts-I read the Chına one
My kid has just started second grade and everything you say about support networks-and starting from scratch- is right, especially as my boss is actually my friend
I think I'll stay put for the mo as you helped remind me exactly how much we have here already.
Thank you and kudos to you
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For better or worse I'm stuck in Korea for now. But that's ok. I have a good community and I've been able to give back in my own way. I have ideas about the future but am flexible. I've seen what happens when things blow up in your face.
delal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Same Reply with quote

Same here for Turkey but there are refugees pouring over the border from Iraq and Syria and, because of the randomness of these things, that's not me and my kid fleeing from IS. We actually have everything we need here. Just not big bucks (but that's on it's way out anyway)
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Hey naturegirl,

The falling out happened while I was pregnant and the shock caused me to go into early labor. He cheated. Had a whole other life. Lots of lies. We tried counseling. Then when my daughter was a couple months old the other woman found out she was pregnant meaning that he had t ended it when my daughter was born.

He wanted a divorce at first and to go with her to England. He was chasing a visa. By the time he decided he didn't want a divorce I had given up and realized we had way too many problems: relationship, money, work, etc. He watched her while I was at work until she was 19 months old, grudgingly. Now I'm starting to think he wanted a ticket to the USA all along due to the things he's told me.

Korea is pretty easy if you have young kids. There are a decent number of good FB groups out there that really help. As for the future I really don't know what will happen. For single parents it can be harder. All the single parents I know we're here first and became single parents later. Actually, I take that back. I know one mom who came here right after a divorce but she's in an international school. I also know a mom with an older kid. I think he was 16 when they came. He was old enough to study online. Being a single parent is hard anywhere. Outside your own country you have to deal with more challenges like finding daycare or not speaking the language or dealing with people who don't know the rules about foreign families.

He left Korea in May 2013 and has been back once for ten days.

Whoa! That's crazy. From your posts on Dave's, I knew you were now a single mom, but I had no idea. You sound like a strong person.

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: